Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Ruger 44mag. carbine to use as a brush gun, and I want to put a red dot on it. I would like to stay in the $100-$150 range, but don't have any experience with one. Max range will be 50 to 75 yards.

Reactions: Chance McCall

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
I have been using the Tasco 40mm red dots on my plinkers and am very satisfied with their durability and ability to hold zero. One of my favorite set ups is the red dot on a 10/22 - extremely fast and accuracy is well beyond what I could ever do with open sights. The one caution I would have is battery life is only about 200 hours so you need to remember to turn it off. This Tasco model takes the common 2032 battery so keeping a spare is not really a problem. Sounds like you are putting together a thick cover deer rifle so the red dot is probably going to work out well for you. The best part about the Tasco is you can get one for around $50 so there isn't much of a risk in trying it.

BTW I'm generally not impressed with Tasco optics but this particular red dot changed my opinion, I had so much fun with the one on my 10/22 that I bought another one for a Buckmark .22 pistol. It made plinking fun again. For the many of us guys with the ageing eye problem this is a viable solution.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Spend a little more money on the optics and you won't regret it. Good glass has never been cheap, and never will be. Better optics hold their re-sale value much better too.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Eotech is probably more than you want to spend but I have owned 2 512 models and they have never failed me. I also like the small moa dot.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Try a Bushnell TRS-25 or a Primary Arms red dot. Both are very well regarded in the AR community. I use one on my brush gun - AR in 7.26x39mm. Works great for pigs at close range.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The vortex prism sight is on sale until midnight tonight on the Midway USA site. They have it reduced to 179.oo with free shipping for their "camo" sale...I read good reviews about them - good warranty

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Tru Glo also makes a reasonable priced red dot. I have had very good luck with Tru Glo and no warranty issues. Bill

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have used the primary arms micro dots and they were ok, I have been much more impressed with the vortex spark and venom red dots. Just depends on how big of a unit you are looking for, what size dot, and if you want any magnification.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a Tru-Glo red/green dot in my AR-15 and love it. I have shot coyotes and hogs by spot light and during the day. Only drawback is distance. I think it was around $85 at pawn shop

·
Registered
645 Posts
Vortex Strikefire II

I have used one on my duty rifle for several years now. They take abuse and hold zero flawlessly. Also Vortex stands behind their products.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just bought a Ruger 44mag. carbine to use as a brush gun, and I want to put a red dot on it. I would like to stay in the $100-$150 range, but don't have any experience with one. Max range will be 50 to 75 yards.
I have a Burris Fast Fire 2 and dont reccomend it. It has paralax issues. I have a Vortex Venom and am very happy with it. I have a BSA on a ruger 10/22 with a slide fire stock. It works but is no comparison to the Vortex.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Vortex, lifetime warranties, great customer service. The venom has the same profile as the burris but has more adjustments and more intensity settings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts