Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'd like to use one of these powders for both 1 oz and 1 1/8 loads, probably around 1150-1180 Fps. Either one work ok or is one more suitable for 1oz and the other better for 1 1/8? Thanks

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I have loaded both powders quite a bit. You cant go wrong with either one for the loads you want. Both powders are in the same burn rate/pressure range (approx)
Clay Dot is usually a little cheaper than Red Dot. If I had to pick between the two, I would probably lean toward the Red Dot, but it really doesnt make a big difference to me.

John

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I agree with John, but I am opposite, I would pick Clay Dot, because it shoots cleaner and is cheaper.

Also, there is Promo, loads exactly like Red Dot by weight so you must find the bushing that drops what you want. When loading a different Lot you need to find what bushing works with that Lot. With Red Dot once you find the correct bushing you will be close lot to lot. It is very good reloading practice to always check and double check that you are using the correct bushing anyway.

Jason

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I use Clay Dot for 1 oz. loads. 17.8 grs. works for me from any yardage. I use to use Red Dot a few decades ago for 1 1/8 loads when it was cheap and really dirty.

·
Registered
4,167 Posts
Of your two choices, I'd go with Red Dot. I've tried Clay Dot three times and I never stick with it. If you are open to suggestion, try e3. It is vastly superior to the two you chose.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Red Dot has been around for almost a hundred years now. There's a reason for it. It is one of the most dependable powders on the market and has never let me down. When I take my reloads to the Grand to use in everything EXCEPT the Handicap events (which mandate factory shells) , They are all stuffed with good o'l Red Dot! If they made a cologne that smelled like Red Dot burning in a paper hull, I would buy a barrel of it! :088:

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have shot mot shotgun powders over the last 40+ years and the last 20 or thereabouts has been Alliant Powder and namely Red and Green Dot for dependability somewhat price

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
WST is my favorite as far as smell goes. Nice and sweet and mixed with the AM dew it's fantastic. I usually load 700-X and it's not very pleasant but definitely not that bad, either.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I like Red Dot (18.0 grains) and Green Dot (18.5 grains) in a Federal Paper hull with a Federal F209A primer, a 12S3 clone wad and 1 1/8 oz. of shot. Either loading shoots soft. The Red Dot loading generates about 1145 FPS and this is my singles load. The Green Dot loading generates about 1100 fps which is similar to a Federal Extra Lite and this is my handicap load. For 1 oz. , I prefer 16.5 grains of E3 in a STS hull, Cheddite primer, and a Rem Fig-8 wad. I use this load in an 1100 and 11/87 for singles because it is so clean. It is about 1150 fps.

I bought my powder and the Remington Fig-8 wads some years ago. E3 is a great powder and I am on my 4th 8# jug. I think that it is almost impossible to find.

·
Banned
9,042 Posts
Clay Dot seems to be a powder designed for 1 oz. loads mostly. I heard that it builds pressure quickly in 1 1/8 oz loads, where some weight variation may cause excessive pressure. Red Dot to me anyway seems to burn more complete in a 1 oz. load. All around for both I would use the Red Dot, if those are the choices.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I like Red Dot (18.0 grains) and Green Dot (18.5 grains) in a Federal Paper hull with a Federal F209A primer, a 12S3 clone wad and 1 1/8 oz. of shot. Either loading shoots soft. The Red Dot loading generates about 1145 FPS and this is my singles load. The Green Dot loading generates about 1100 fps which is similar to a Federal Extra Lite and this is my handicap load.
Your singles load is 1 1/8 oz @ 1145 f/s and your handicap load is 1 1/8 oz @ 1100 f/s??? What yardage you at?
Seem like you got it backwards with the load and use. I would think that you would use Green Dot for the 1145 f/s and Red Dot for the 1100 f/s. Also, Red Dot will work for either of your loads more efficiently than Green Dot. IMO Green Dot works best for a 1 1/8 oz load @ 1200 to 1255 f/s range. I would think that you would want the faster load for handicap.

Jason

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Jason:

I like an 1145 fps 1 1/8 oz. load in #8 shot for singles. I can shoot this load for handicap (20 yards) but I actually like the Federal Extra Lite in #7 1/2 shot which is 1100 fps for short handicap. With the larger 7 1/2 size shot, the actual velocity at target is probably equal or better than for the size 8 shot and it shoots so soft.

I shoot 870 trap grade fixed full choke guns. I have added weight to the butt stocks so the guns weigh about 8 1/2 pounds. I further manage recoil with 1100 fps and 1145 fps loads.

I will be 70 years old in October. When I started shooting back in the 1960's, I liked 3 dram speed (1200 fps) but got tired of getting beat up. I switched to 2 3/4 dram speed (1145 fps) and really liked it. Federal came out with the Extra Lite loading (1100 fps) sometime in the 1990's and this load was like magic for me. I used it for longer range shooting like 35 yards behind the house and back up loads on killers (Annie’s). This speed and my timing seemed to go hand in glove. I even won a "5" long shot at about 70 yards behind the house with this load. The shot took a long time to get to the target and the targets simply fell apart without smoke but they counted. You may have never shot "games" but slower shot works on the minds of a shooter trying to put a mark on you. If we really get far back, I go to size #6 or #5 shot at 1145 fps.

Back in the 1960's, I remember several shooters advising me to shoot 3 dram at 16 yards and 2 3/4 dram at handicap. I live in Kentucky and, in those days, Model 12's, 870's and a few Model 31's ruled. The logic was to shoot quickly at 16 yards at a blur of target. When a quick shooter was on his game, he was hard to beat especially in wind. The belief was that 3 dram loads opened up better at 16 yards than 2 3/4 dram loads. True or not, that was the logic.

Handicap was shot slower with a sustained lead. The 2 3/4 dram load gave a tighter pattern. To keep things in perspective, choke tubes were not in wide use in the 1960's & 1970's except for Cutts and Polychoke equipped guns. Most shooters had fixed full choke barrels. Today, you can use faster speed shells and a more open choke.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It's Aromatherapy! If I only could get a doctor to prescribe it. My vote is Red Dot over Promo (blackens hulls at crimp). Never used Clay Dot.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Oldman:

I used to have a 1983 Ford E-150 Club Wagon van. I bought it new in 1983 and gave it to the Volunteers of America in 2005. It had over 330,000 miles on the clock and a wealth of hunting, fishing and trap shooting adventures. It made many a trip to local shoots and three trips to Vandalia. After a shoot, I would have a several hundred fired Federal Papers. The aroma of Red Dot and a Federal Paper hull is a beautiful thing. 700X does not smell bad either. At times, I would leave a target box of hulls in the back just for the aroma.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Come on guys... We all know the best, right???

Vihta Vouri Powder

A quick smell of the smoke immediately after shooting will produce some unbelievable reactions you didn't even know you had..... :popout2:

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I have used VV N-133 for .223 reloads. It had a nice smell unfired and gave really tight groups. I don't remember a particular smell immediately after firing but I did have visions of the Finnish versus Swedish bikini teams "Cool Jerk" contest.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts