Trapshooters Forum banner

Red Dot loads for doubles

5224 Views 42 Replies 25 Participants Last post by  TomBro
Hello I am back in trapshooting and back in reloading, however i am in need of some reloading data. I have a tried and true singles load but doubles is new to me as I've only shot 300 rounds of them. So I use 18 grains of red dot, tgt-12 1 oz wad, and sts hull for singles, for doubles i would like to use the same powder just not sure what the charge should be.

thank you in advance!!!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
603 Posts
you didn't mention some important details like what size shot you are using or which primer. But you have to decide what aspects of the load you want to vary. I am no doubles expert but I believe a lot of guys use a different load for the second shot than the first. So you have to decide if you want to do that or use the same load for both shots. If you want to use a different load for the second shot, the second shot is further away so I would think you might want to vary one or more of the following: 7.5 shot if using something smaller for first shot, more velocity, 1 1/8 load.
I looked up Red Dot load data on the Alliant website. You should do the same. See if this link works

Looks like 18gr gives you about 1200FPS. They have loads with 19gr for 1250, or even 21gr for 1310fps.
If you went to 1 1/8, 19gr gives you 1200FPS. Like other powders on the fast burning side, I don't see any 1 1/8 loads more than 1200fps.

Right or wrong, I use WSH loaded for 1250fps for handicap or second shot doubles. Probably many would consider than "overkill" and they may well be right.

· Registered
3,054 Posts
I would back off a grain for the first shot in doubles. Unless you want to keep it simple, using the same load for both.
For the 2nd shot I like 1 1/8 oz of 7 1/2 doing 1200 f/s, since I tend to shoot a little slow.

Rhodesengr.
I use to do that buying Win Super Handicap loads with 7 1/2 shot. Then I started developing a flinch. No longer at long yardage. So now I use 3 dr.eq. for Caps and 2nd shot Doubles.

Jason

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For the years I shot before my break from trap shooting I always used 8 shot and a winchester primer but in this shortage I among everyone else are taking what we can get. For this upcoming season im seeing myself getting cheddite primers as i am seeing more of them than any other brand. Also my knowledge of reloading is not super extensive but its growing.

· Premium Member
603 Posts
Bigger shot tends to hold its velocity better at longer distance but you get fewer pellets per load. So, like most things, it's a tradeoff. I was using 7.5 for everything but recently tried 8.5 from 16 yards. Seemed like my scores went up a little.

· Registered
1,830 Posts
Back in the day I used to shoot Rex 1 powder that was a Red Dot knock off. I loaded 16 grains 1 1/8 of shot and it was death on Singles and Doubles targets. Today I load 1 oz and load 17 grains of Red Dot. Just wondering does anyone shoot 16 gr. Red Dot with 1 oz? I've never tried it but haven't loaded during the Covid Scare. I've been using up loose shells I've had loaded for years.

I'd appreciate feedback from those of you who are loading lighter than 17 grains of Red Dot and 1 oz. of shot. Thanks for any feedback you are willing to share,

PD

· Registered
1,159 Posts
My recommendation, use one ounce for both. 8 shot is plenty of punch at doubles distance.
17 grains on first shot, loaded in a Green Hull. 18 grains in a Gold hull for the second shot.
I currently use the 18 grain load with a W209 primer and a tgt wad. Plenty of shell for the second shot.
Cheddite primers should give you equal speed without creating too much pressure.

Good luck

· Registered
213 Posts
Back in the day I used to shoot Rex 1 powder that was a Red Dot knock off. I loaded 16 grains 1 1/8 of shot and it was death on Singles and Doubles targets. Today I load 1 oz and load 17 grains of Red Dot. Just wondering does anyone shoot 16 gr. Red Dot with 1 oz? I've never tried it but haven't loaded during the Covid Scare. I've been using up loose shells I've had loaded for years.

I'd appreciate feedback from those of you who are loading lighter than 17 grains of Red Dot and 1 oz. of shot. Thanks for any feedback you are willing to share,

PD
I load 16.5 -16.7 grains of red dot 1 oz 7.5 shot. In a winchester hull with cheddite primer and tgt12 clone wad from downrange for my singles. It hits the birds hard. I ran my first ever 50 straight using them Saturday at the cardinal classic.

· Premium Member
8,267 Posts
Hello I am back in trapshooting and back in reloading, however i am in need of some reloading data. I have a tried and true singles load but doubles is new to me as I've only shot 300 rounds of them. So I use 18 grains of red dot, tgt-12 1 oz wad, and sts hull for singles, for doubles i would like to use the same powder just not sure what the charge should be.

thank you in advance!!!
You can pick em out of the grass with that load from the 16yd line. In fact you could shave a grain and still be fine.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.