Trapshooters Forum banner

Recruiting Shoot Help

1560 Views 16 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  I'dhitthat
Curious where people are getting shoot help from and what they are paying? I'm referring to state shoots and grands. The Empire Grand last month had a big staffing issue and organizers have already put out feelers for help at the July State Shoot. I followed up with organizers because I know a number of people that go up just to spectate and thought they may be interested in scoring. I found out they are only paying ~$100/day. Factor in fed and state taxes and $3 gas to get there and you are only making $50-$60 for a full day. I'm trying to brain storm ways they could come up with the needed help and not getting very far.
Reactions: shotgunpeople
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
High School Athletic Teams.
Labor in exchange for team donations works well.
Contact your local High Schools, this is even better when the students are out on summer break.
I think this is a great idea but New York requires help to be 18+. I'm assuming this has something to do with liability and insurance. My understanding is back in the day they had mostly high school kids loading machines, running mics and cleaning up hulls but cannot do it anymore.

· Registered
2,106 Posts
A local venue our youth team shoots at was offering $15/hr cash for scorers/ loaders. Management told me they were still having trouble finding people to work at that rate.

· Registered
3,368 Posts
Curious where people are getting shoot help from and what they are paying? I'm referring to state shoots and grands. The Empire Grand last month had a big staffing issue and organizers have already put out feelers for help at the July State Shoot. I followed up with organizers because I know a number of people that go up just to spectate and thought they may be interested in scoring. I found out they are only paying ~$100/day. Factor in fed and state taxes and $3 gas to get there and you are only making $50-$60 for a full day. I'm trying to brain storm ways they could come up with the needed help and not getting very far.
Paying more might be a good start. Scoring is a hot, boring job. Thats without mentioning putting up with some shooters bull. Something else is some clubs reluctance to hire enough relief help. Sit in that chair for 10 hours with a short lunch and beg to have enough time to go to the bathroom and you get people that won't come back.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paying more might be a good start. Scoring is a hot, boring job. Thats without mentioning putting up with some shooters bull. Something else is some clubs reluctance to hire enough relief help. Sit in that chair for 10 hours with a short lunch and beg to have enough time to go to the bathroom and you get people that won't come back.
I agree 100%. I think that's where their issues started. At the May shoot it was 90°, very hot for upstate NY in May. A lot of the help worked 12 hour days with minimal breaks. I fear the little help they had wont be back in July as they were very disgruntled.

· Registered
732 Posts
I know that some clubs have used kids from rehabs. Never heard of any problems. The rehab is paid not the kids and they cover the workman's comp. In Arizona we also use service men/women. You cannot pay them directly, but a contribution is made to their recreational fund. They are not always available though.
JEB

· Registered
2,638 Posts
As said, NY used to have shooters kids asking for the jobs, and a highly trained gal used to attempt to teach the kids the scoring techniques.

With the NY labor laws today, these kids who are under 18 cannot work in the dangerous situations, and over 18 would rather sit in the cool camper and play games.

Going to be a tough situation all over the USA this year and beyond unless someone smarter than me can come up with a solution.

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Maybe reach out to a local college for help? The kids would be over 18 and you could either ask to help a school program (pay the school or make a donation to it) or just pay the kids direct. I don’t know the Cicero area well but I would think there has to be some kind of community college nearby that would have some interest.

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think that shooters would be willing to lend a hand but for the big shoots some people are uncomfortable with a participant scoring. Also the shoots around here don't shift schedule, it seems to be the whole day or nothing. Something that I think really needs to change.

The college idea is a good one. Cicero is only about 25 minutes outside Syracuse. I also like the tip idea. I've thought about tipping scorers before but I know some would frown upon it thinking its a bribe or something. But I'm wondering if maybe they did a 50/50 raffle each day and put the money towards the help. I think I am going to propose that to them.

· Registered
6,619 Posts
Reach out to, church groups, military reserve and guard units. ROTC and JrROTC also. If that works writing on check as a donation for the work volunteered can simplify paper work.

Al

Reactions: vatrap

· Registered
1,300 Posts
Our shoots here at the club are small 6 or 7 squads, I hire my 2 granddaughters as scorers, they have worked numerous shoots for us and have done a great job, the rest of the chores are done by club members and some others that volunteer to help when they are not on the line shooting, I in turn help at other shoots also when I'm not shooting, it works good and helps keep the costs down for everyone, plus passes some time instead of standing around waiting for you squad to shoot.

· Premium Member
795 Posts
I like the idea of tips because it unreported cash. Cash is king. It's a shame that personal couldn't be paid a untaxed stipend. It would look more enticing to people looking for a little side money. Local clubs with a couple field can count on volunteers but large shoots with 20-40 fields can't run a shoot without a crap load of help.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.