Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember how long but the best therapy was reloading shells on my 600 jr. I had both done a week and a half apart. I know I rabbit hunted with the bandage on my hand yet. I cleaned the rabbits an got a little belly juice on the bandage. the nurse asked what happened and I told her it was from my babies diaper. LOL I wa swinging a hammer about 9 or 10 week after surgery. They been good.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,325 Posts
Had Dr. Michael Brown in Houston (yes, the crazy one) do mine in the late 90s. I went to the gun club 15 days later and put the sling back on to impress everyone about the surgery, then whipped off the sling and shot a 500 bird doubles marathon. The surgery was on my forend hand.

One tip: Don't procrastinate once you make the decision. I waited too long and now have a neurological problem in my right arm that makes my fingertips want to touch something all the time. The carpal tunnel release was immediately effective and no carpal tunnel symptoms have ever returned.

Short answer - endoscopic procedure, 15 days.

Mike Mann

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
My wife waited too long before having the surgery, her surgery was far more extensive than most, or so that's what the Dr told us. She is a Registered Nurse and having to start IV's and such became impossible just prior to surgery. 4 weeks after surgery went back to work and has full use of hand and no complaints. I'm with Mr.M don't procrastinate get it done and recovery time will be shorter with better results.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
I was back to shooting in about 2 weeks...... I also put up with the problem for too long. Get it done and get on with life, you will not be sorry...... Larry

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was told 17 years ago that I had some of the worst carpal tunnel my doc had ever seen, also had the nerves in both elbows detached from the bone therefore I do not have a (funnybone) was suppose to have 2 surgeries on each arm 16 weeks apart to which was told that I would lose a minimum of 10% mobility with an unknown maximum. I decided not to have the surgery and did 1 physical therapy session instead where I quizzed the therapist relentlessly then began my own physical therapy. It took approximately 10 years for the severe pain to recede and I will never be completely healed but I would say that I am probably in the 85% healed range right now. My therapy consists of 20 minutes of intense stretching twice a day, small price to pay verses surgery!
Joe

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Huntinjoe, I too have decided to not have the surgery because of the bad outcome that both my brother and mother had from their surgeries. I instead did some research on the subject and found a Doctor in Texas that treats his patients with vitamin B-6.

I started taking B-6 every day and am now 100%. It took about 3 solid months of taking 600 milligrams of the B-6 every morning (it's good for you anyway) and my symptoms and pain have gone. The B-6 strengthens the tunnel between your wrist and your palm. Try it. Can't hurt...

Kevin

·
Registered
500 Posts
I followed my doctors recommendations of not lifting more than five pounds for the first six weeks. Then went right to shooting and never had any problems and nothing since then. All is good with the hand. Just wish my scores were better but that has nothing to do with my hand.

Jim Bradbury

·
Registered
253 Posts
BUCKo43,
Thank you for that info on the B6, I will give that a shot and see if it at least makes me a little better. I know that I will never be 100% due to the nerves being detached from the bone, but if I get another 5 or 10% out of it then it would be worth it.
Thanks again, Joe

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
A question for those that have had the surgery. Where was the incision made? Mine was in the palm of my hand. The scar just looks like another line of my palm print. I have seen some people with some nasty looking scars on their wrists. Bud

·
Strong Supporter of Trapshooting
4,727 Posts
My next door neighbor and good friend told me that this surgery should be about free it is so easy to do. Of course the surgery center wants a fee for using their facility.

Had I told neighbor, Dr. Bob, I was planning to do it, he would have done it for nothing. We trade fish for when I mow his yard with my tractor... easy to do. I did have a brilliant [a past advanced mathematics student of mine, now surgeon) do it and I told him if he screwed up my trigger finger, he'd better hide. It was 45 minutes.

The only things I noticed were (1) my right index finger gets cold when hunting, and following surgery my strength between my thumb and pinky finger was pretty bad. That's been several years now, and I can't tell anything is wrong now, save the absence of numbness.

As mentioned above DO IT NOW - DON'T WAIT!

WW

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I was in the worst 1 percent on both hands.got to be complete numbness 4 to5 times a night,wide awake shaking hands ,saying bad words.I could not drive more that ten minutes with one hand then the other.Pain from my wrrist to the shoulder at the end.No drugs or vitamins would have fixed them.DO NOT let YOURS get that bad! I had both done at once,immedeate relief. Slept like a newborn the first night. get the wrist immobilizers until surgery. Every time I see someone with the immobilizers ,I tell them to get the surgery ASAP. Jeff

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had both hands done at different times. Both had excellent results. In both cases my wrists were opened up and the surgeon (with small funny binoculars on his glasses) did his job. I even got to watch and then drive home. The worst part was on the first surgery when the anesthesia started to wear off when I was in rush hour traffic.
From what I heard from others who had CT surgery the results from opening the wrist up have been far better than those who have had theirs roto-routed (less scarring).
For the poster who had nerve damage in his elbow (ulnar nerve) I had mine surgically relocated. I was very worried that the numbness being caused by my carpal tunnel would recur during my recovery and cause problems, but it didn't.
Find a good doctor that you have faith in and speak with him about all your concerns, then decide on a course of action. Personally I have had very good results with surgeries ranging from joint repair/replacements to cancer.
Jack

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had the sugery last year,Found a good surgeon simple procedure. Takes about a week before they remove stiches which would be the only thing that would make shooting uncomfortable if it is your shooting hand .Took a little while for feeling to be normal I also waited to long . Numbness went away a very positive experience and I work with my hands carpentry. Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts