Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
STORM......best vest.....made in the USA....Leslie and Mary will treat you so many different ways, you're bound to like one of them......I'm pretty sure, Leslie will be at the spring Grand in Feb....m

·
Registered
40 Posts
Few people mention browning vests.

I am a size large but use a browning XL vest for summer, it won't fit over a jacket for winter. Now I am using a belt and pouch because of the extra bulk to keep warm.

Best bet is to try the vest on.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I remember the Mac Jacs. That was a while back. I have lots of vests. Shoot The Moon, Castelani, the Ganton-clone British Sporting Arms are the best, IMHO. I did not really care for the Barepelt, I seem to prefer a leather pad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Hi Fred, welcome to the forum.

I'm not a "vest" shooter. I like my stuff down by my waist and not hanging from my shoulders, but that's just me.

If I was looking into shooting with a vest, I'd buy an inexpensive vest and shoot it for awhile. From there, you'll have a better idea of what you might want.

My two cents,

Pat
GOOD thought!
Thanks,
Fred M

·
Registered
934 Posts
I have a browning vest and a Beretta vest like them both, the browning has more mesh so I wear it when it's hot out

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was a Storm fan and own one of their custom vests and jackets. When BarePelt came onto the scene I liked the feel and look of them. I ordered one and wore it all last season. I am a fan and plan on ordering another soon.
You should find them at a big shoot to try on the sizes as they run big. They have some stretch to them and are not uncomfortable in hot weather. I am 5'10" and 170lbs and I wear an Extra Small Tall!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I shoot in a vest. I once shot w/o a vest in a shirt with nylon thread. I was shooting a 28 gauge 1100 and still wore a painful strawberry on my shoulder. The next week was my most important shoot of the year and the strawberry was not healed and still painful. So I was forced to pull out an old Bob Allen vest to use. I used a vest since (except in winter when I wear a coat).

For hot weather I still use that Bob Allen vest. It's has an open design like all the vests did when it was made. Now most vests have front zippers and are more like sleeveless shooing jackets.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I just placed a custom order with Shoot the Moon for one of their vests. They do offer an inside pad which can be inserted or removed. I chose my colors and no mesh here in the northwest. Also, they cut it shorter as all my suits and jackets are shortened slightly. I like that as it is not long and droopy.
I have had a Browning and liked it very much but they no longer offer the model which I just gave to my friend and shooting buddy. I will let you know when it arrives several weeks away.
Fred M

21 - 40 of 51 Posts