Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our club has some atlas throwers that we want to run off batteries, and charge via solar.

I wasn't able to find the recommended amp hours needed from a 12v battery and wondering if anyone here has experience setting traps up with solar.

·
Registered
22,914 Posts
You’re going to want deep cycle marine batteries.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
We use 5 AT300 traps on our 5 Stand course. We use series 24 deep cycle batteries. They last all month, shooting 3 hours at a time, twice a week. We recharge them with battery chargers.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Do you happen to know how many amp hours you are using? Also does that mean for the month you aren't charging them? Or are you periodically charging them throughout the month.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't know that this answers you question or is even helpful, but: I have an AT250 set up on an oscillator. I have one marine deep cycle battery for the trap and one for the oscillator. When not in use the batteries are hooked up to solar chargers. I run the trap house on average about 5 hours a week. I seldom have to recharge the batteries otherwise.

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
A Walmart Group 27 battery will do everything you need it to do. They are 109 AH and can be charged via small solar panel sitting on the ground. If they go bad Walmart will replace for free.

I have 3 of these batteries in one of my boats and at $80 is very tough to beat.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I don’t know off the top of my head. It is the deep cycle battery at BiMart for $89 plus core charge. They will run all month on a charge, and probably more. We just get in the habit of charging them every month. I just replaced one that was 5 years old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts