Trapshooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Looking for soft shooting powder for field use in older, lightweight guns. Will be loading 1 oz loads for less than 1200 FPS. Have always used PB for such, but like other good things, it has gone away. Thanks for your thoughts!
A few years ago, I bought a flat of shells that were "field" loads going out at 1220 fps. I was skeptical. However after a full season of use on pheasants I found them to be excellent. I have tried to duplicate them using a Remington hull, a Win209 primer, a WAA12SL wad or clone, and 19.5 grains of IMR Green. It's easy on the shoulder and will down upland game birds without a problem. Also, not that it's all that important, but it's clean burning, going out at around 8500 psi.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
A lot of the anecdotal evidence regarding the issue of differences in felt recoil between faster and slower powders comes from the use of loads that rely on what the data manual says is the velocity of the load. Many times, what the book says and what actually comes out the end of your gun are different. There was no verification that the two loads were, in fact, going the same speed. Differences in felt recoil likely can be shown to be attributable to differences in actual recoil. I believe it was Neil Winston, or someone of similar repute, who did a blind test with loads where, before the test, the speeds were verified as equal. The participants were unable to differentiate between the fast powder loads and the slow powder load based on felt recoil.

So, I believe shooters do perceive differences in recoil between loads with faster powder and slower powder, but I believe those differences in felt recoil are attributable to differences in actual recoil, not differences in the burn rates of the powders.

I believe I'm entitled to believe whatever I want, regardless how grounded in fact the belief is.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just picked up an LC Smith. So I'm also interested in this topic.

My typical reload is
AA HS
1 1/8 or 1oz AAHs or Fig8 wads
Win 209
Universal

There are a couple recipes with 20/28 published that has a very low psi. May try a few of these out.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm sure 20/28 has two 12 gauge recipes listed with low PSI. (Win 209, Fig8, AAHS hulls, 1 1/8)

Universal is what I typically reload for 12 ga but 9000psi is the lowest I see published.

phatkaw - I'm here to learn, so if I'm missing something, by all means let me know

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
I wasn’t trying to argue, but Universal and 20/28 are my two 28ga powders and I ALMOST always have one or the other on hand.
I run out of 12ga powders all the time and I’m pretty sure that I’ve looked for data using those two in the 12 and don’t remember seeing any...

I do think I remember ‘Shooting Coach’ had a 20/28 load for 12ga ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gotcha - I though maybe I was missing something.

I mostly reload 28ga, and that's why I have both of those powders as well. But I do shoot a few 12ga shells, so I just went with that was on hand when I need a recipe for 12 ga as well.

I've noticed a few times in the forums that people don't always like to post the complete recipe, but I'm just going to Alliant powder reloading guide. or 2nd recipe.

Following this thread because I can easily pickup a new set of components if that was a better option for an old sxs.

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
I just went to Hodgdon’s site and found loads for Universal too...
Oh Man, looks like I’ll keep running out of those powders too now ! lol

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Hey, just to MAKE SURE.
Are Universal and Universal Clays one in the same ?

·
Registered
705 Posts
What is a " elastic " powder ? This is the first time I've heard of the term used with powders. I've never paid much attention if a powder is single or double based . Because I shoot quite a bit, or should say reload quite a bit - me, wife, daughter, and granddaughter, -I just look for the cheapest powder that will allow me to reload 3/4oz 12ga, and that's Promo. It works in the winter, and because we all shoot either O/Us, them, or me with my SxSs, dirty powders don't mean squat. I've shot muzzle loaders, shotguns being one of them, since the early 70s. Now there's some dirty powder. Still shoot BP shotgun shells at events for fun. One time at one of my SxS Shoots at the end of the day when things slowed done a bit, three of us decided to shoot with BP shells. Well, two of us. I ask my brother to shoot the same saying I'd give him a couple of boxes. He said why, what's the big deal. He found out trying to shoot true pairs. It's sometimes pretty hard finding the second bird through all the smoke. It's fun to experience what early shooters put up with. God, those barrels get hot in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Looking for soft shooting powder for field use in older, lightweight guns. Will be loading 1 oz loads for less than 1200 FPS. Have always used PB for such, but like other good things, it has gone away. Thanks for your thoughts!

Bill,

From what I can see, there are some 1 ounce, 1180 fps loads in Remington, Winchester and Federal hulls, that have pressures below 7000 psi with International Clays, Winchester Super Target and Winchester Super Handicap, that use Cheddite, Win and Rem 209 primers with some of your more common TGT-12 and W12SL wads. Give those a look.

·
Registered
155 Posts
.What is a " elastic " powder ? This is the first time I've heard of the term used with powders. I've never paid much attention if a powder is single or double based .
A powder that can be used for a wider range of shot weights.

·
Registered
705 Posts
My Alliant handbook does not show 20/28 powder being used for 12 loads. It was designed for the 20 or 28 and having about 9 different powders already being used for 12ga loads I can't see any reason to list that powder for the 12ga. Would you be so kind to say how much is listed in your book for the 12 ? If soft shooting is what anyone wants any powder that will load to around 1100fps at 1oz or less will accomplish what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
My Alliant handbook does not show 20/28 powder being used for 12 loads. It was designed for the 20 or 28 and having about 9 different powders already being used for 12 gauge loads I can't see any reason to list that powder for the 12ga. Would you be so kind to say how much is listed in your book for the 12 ? If soft shooting is what anyone wants any powder that will load to around 1100fps at 1oz or less will accomplish what you're looking for.
Paul, there are a few loads for 20/28 in 12 gauge but only 1 -1/8 ounce loads. Looks as though for lower pressure loads with 1 ounce, Green Dot and American Select may be the ideal choices from Alliant.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Use whatever powder gives you the desired speed with the desired recoil. "Free recoil"and perceived or felt recoil are 2 different things. Its no different than a trigger s lock time being too fast or too slow for a specific shooter or a gun that shoots too high or too low. Its all subjective.

I personally like TiteGroup or Green Dot. And 700X has been good for 7/8 and 1oz loads.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would not focus on smokeless powder brand and model, simply choose a recipe that generates chamber pressures of between 8,500 and 10,000 psi. This will insure your finished product is safe for generally all SxS’s with modern barrels.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Besides Unique and Universal, take a look at Herco and 800X.

I doubt you'll find ounce loadings at moderate speeds and will require proofing at a ballistic lab to ensure outcome.

Both powders should deliver similar pressures as 7625 did.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts