Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for soft shooting powder for field use in older, lightweight guns. Will be loading 1 oz loads for less than 1200 FPS. Have always used PB for such, but like other good things, it has gone away. Thanks for your thoughts!

·
Registered
29,050 Posts
Looking for soft shooting powder for field use in older, lightweight guns. Will be loading 1 oz loads for less than 1200 FPS. Have always used PB for such, but like other good things, it has gone away. Thanks for your thoughts!
When you say “soft shooting” do you really mean low pressure loads? Because if you do mean “soft” to curb recoil, you are going to catch hell on this forum from the bullies who think they run it, you will be put down and called names.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Well put Rick !! The moderator's do tend to favor some don't they ? Bill do a search of the forum and you will find your answer. Neil Winston did a lot of testing on this subject. " Felt Recoil with the use of different slower burning powders " is what you might be looking for. It's a valid argument and this is and always will be one.Bottom line is do what makes you happy with your reloading.

·
Registered
29,050 Posts
Well put Rick !! The moderator's do tend to favor some don't they ? Bill do a search of the forum and you will find your answer. Neil Winston did a lot of testing on this subject. " Felt Recoil with the use of different slower burning powders " is what you might be looking for. It's a valid argument and this is and always will be one.Bottom line is do what makes you happy with your reloading.
Let’s not hijack this thread. I have spent the last couple days rebuilding my ignore list.

Reactions: llano bill

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Bill: if your vintage double is tight and on-face, with barrels free of defects and with adequate wall thickness, pick any 1 oz. at 1200 fps load and no se preocupe ie. the pressures don't matter if < 11,500 psi (the SAAMI max.).
I use Green Dot for my 3/4 oz. 16g load but in cold weather there is less than full combustion. I found that to be the case back when I loaded 1 oz. PB 12g loads also.

This is Bro. Neil's data comparing the pressure-time curves of Red Dot and PB

Reactions: llano bill

·
Registered
155 Posts
Looking for soft shooting powder for field use in older, lightweight guns. Will be loading 1 oz loads for less than 1200 FPS. Have always used PB for such, but like other good things, it has gone away. Thanks for your thoughts!.
You might want to look at Vectan GM3 powder. 13.99 for 1.1 lbs It is a single base powder, as was PB.
Web address for data.
https://www.grafs.com/uploads/technical-resource-pdf-file/20.pdf

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If you mean 12ga guns, get some Alliant Extralite. Pick your components from the brazillion published recipes and load from 1100 to 1200 fps. Often, loading light ( a 1 ounce load at 1100 fps is light) results in reduced pressure to the point that ignition becomes problematic. The beauty of Extralite is that you can load to 1100 fps and maintain 9000 psi for a clean, reliable burn. There are no warts on Extralite.

·
Registered
155 Posts
10tenner said:
You might want to look at Vectan GM3 powder. 13.99 for 1.1 lbs It is a single base powder, as was PB.
Web address for data.
https://www.grafs.com/uploads/technical-resource-pdf-file/20.pdf
I have been looking at the 206V! Have you used this?
206V is one of my favorite 1 oz 1300 FPS sporting clays loads. But, it’s intended use is for fast velocity 1 oz low psi shells.
It is not as elastic as some other powders.
I dropped down from 21.7 grs to 21.0 grs and performance dropped of, as one other person noted the same results.

What components are you using?
American Select is a good 1 oz powder and is more elastic. I have used it in 7/8 oz to 1 1/8 oz.
There are loads listed under 7000 psi for 1 oz Alliants website.

·
Registered
155 Posts
.American Select also has about the least amount of nitroglycerine by volume you will find in a double base powder....
It was advertised as single base when it first came out, and you are right about the nitroglycerin content.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
When you say “soft shooting” do you really mean low pressure loads? Because if you do mean “soft” to curb recoil, you are going to catch hell on this forum from the bullies who think they run it, you will be put down and called names.
So, what do you call this? Trying to shut down debate before it even starts and proclaim your view the correct one before the OP even has time to consider an opposing view? Do you live in Portland, Oregon?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'd like to have the clarification of what "old side x side" you are using. Are you using a muzzloading external hammer side x side with damascus barrels or a modern type of side x side?

PD

·
Registered
705 Posts
I have owned over the years at least 60 to 70 old SxSs, and now I'm down to a dozen or so. They have always been American made so they tend to be a bit, shall I say, stout. Just about all were Damascus barrel guns and with the 3" or so of DAH a lighter load is more comferable to shoot. It isn't so much the powder you use, but the recoil, and that's decided by velocity and the weight of the shot [ yes, I know the wad and powder weight is also figured in ]. Over the years I've used RD, GD, AS, Promo, 700 and 800X, E3, Extra Lite, Solo, and Nitro. I do like to keep pressures and recoil down because of 100+ year old wooden stocks.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have owned over the years at least 60 to 70 old SxSs, and now I'm down to a dozen or so. They have always been American made so they tend to be a bit, shall I say, stout. Just about all were Damascus barrel guns and with the 3" or so of DAH a lighter load is more comferable to shoot. It isn't so much the powder you use, but the recoil, and that's decided by velocity and the weight of the shot [ yes, I know the wad and powder weight is also figured in ]. Over the years I've used RD, GD, AS, Promo, 700 and 800X, E3, Extra Lite, Solo, and Nitro. I do like to keep pressures and recoil down because of 100+ year old wooden stocks.
Thank you Paul! I agree! Old wood and old shoulders do not handle modern 1 1/8 loads at 1300 FPS, in a 6lb. gun well at all! However, I‘ve noticed the quail and grouse don’t seem to notice any difference between <1100 FPS and >1200 FPS though!

·
Registered
237 Posts
I believe slow burning powders have a different perceived recoil then faster burning powder. You could use Green Dot with a 1oz load and it will "feel" pretty soft @ 1200fps but it might be a little dirty from the lower pressure.

Federal GM or TG plastic
20.5gr green dot
CB2100
1oz of mag shot
fed 209a primer

1200fps @ 7600psi

·
Registered
29,050 Posts
But you are not allowed to believe that.

Reactions: dirt stirrer
1 - 20 of 42 Posts