Trapshooters Forum banner

Recommendations for Basic Accessories

5586 Views 60 Replies 30 Participants Last post by  Abigaylesdad
Hello! I am a first year youth trap shooter and got a new shotgun 2 weeks ago. It is a Browning Special Sporting Clays Edition Citori (It is absolutely gorgeous). What accessories do you recommend for me. I plan on getting a magnetic barrel rest since the gun is heavy.

Please include links if possible to websites where i can get the item you are talking about.

Thank you so much!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
1,074 Posts
Hi Mack! Welcome to TS.com!

For my cleaning supplies, I like products made by Pro Shot. Their bronze brushes are the best, in my opinion.

I use Hoppes #9 for my bore solvent. Available just about everywhere. And I also use their Bore-Snake.

For gun oil, I use a product called "CLP" My latest bottle is from Mossy Oak. For gun grease, I use a product called STOS that I got when I bought a reloader

If your gun has choke tubes, be sure to keep them tight and remove them frequently. I had a couple get stuck in a Browning XT and they were a pain to get out. I use "Door Ease" stick lubricant on the threads.

I see you're wearing ear muffs and if they work for you, that's great. You really need to protect your hearing.
I uses molded ear plugs and they work well, but I always thought the foam earplugs like you can buy at the drug store did the best job.
I've lost enough hearing that I need closed captioning to watch TV and I wear hearing aids.

Eventually you'll need to replace a recoil pad. I like the ones made by Kick Eez.

For trap shooting, you'll eventually want a higher point of impact. You can get an inexpensive pad kit to go on the comb of your gun from Meadow Industries. Convert-a-stock pad, I think it's called. They work great.

That's plenty of information on what I like. Go have some fun shooting. It's been a great hobby and activity for me all through my life, from BB guns to Brownings!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mack! Welcome to TS.com!

For my cleaning supplies, I like products made by Pro Shot. Their bronze brushes are the best, in my opinion.

I use Hoppes #9 for my bore solvent. Available just about everywhere. And I also use their Bore-Snake.

For gun oil, I use a product called "CLP" My latest bottle is from Mossy Oak. For gun grease, I use a product called STOS that I got when I bought a reloader

If your gun has choke tubes, be sure to keep them tight and remove them frequently. I had a couple get stuck in a Browning XT and they were a pain to get out. I use "Door Ease" stick lubricant on the threads.

I see you're wearing ear muffs and if they work for you, that's great. You really need to protect your hearing.
I uses molded ear plugs and they work well, but I always thought the foam earplugs like you can buy at the drug store did the best job.
I've lost enough hearing that I need closed captioning to watch TV and I wear hearing aids.

Eventually you'll need to replace a recoil pad. I like the ones made by Kick Eez.

For trap shooting, you'll eventually want a higher point of impact. You can get an inexpensive pad kit to go on the comb of your gun from Meadow Industries. Convert-a-stock pad, I think it's called. They work great.

That's plenty of information on what I like. Go have some fun shooting. It's been a great hobby and activity for me all through my life, from BB guns to Brownings!
Thank you so much! I just want to make sure i am doing everything I can to make sure my gun lasts me forever! I would use a shell catcher but I don’t reload yet (I really would like to).

· Registered
170 Posts
The shell catcher is also a courtesy to the shooters next to you so you dont hit them or their equipment.

As far as cleaning goes almost any products made for cleaning work as long as you actually use them. As in actually clean it .

I found having a few different colored lenses helpful, something to clean the lenses with, and a decent pouch or vest to hold a few extra shells in case you get a bad one from the factory.

· Registered
5,327 Posts
Isn't the Citori a break open gun? Why do you want a shell catcher?
Hello! I am a first year youth trap shooter and got a new shotgun 2 weeks ago. It is a Browning Special Sporting Clays Edition Citori (It is absolutely gorgeous). What accessories do you recommend for me. I plan on getting a magnetic barrel rest since the gun is heavy.

Please include links if possible to websites where i can get the item you are talking about.

Thank you so much!
Thank you so much! I just want to make sure i am doing everything I can to make sure my gun lasts me forever! I would use a shell catcher but I don’t reload yet (I really would like to).

· Banned
9,591 Posts
The shell catcher is also a courtesy to the shooters next to you so you dont hit them or their equipment.

As far as cleaning goes almost any products made for cleaning work as long as you actually use them. As in actually clean it .

I found having a few different colored lenses helpful, something to clean the lenses with, and a decent pouch or vest to hold a few extra shells in case you get a bad one from the factory.
Being that he said he's shooting a Citori O/U, I highly doubt that he'll have much use for a shell catcher.

· Registered
13,535 Posts
Well you have a very nice Browning to get started. Congrat's on that find!!!

I too like Pro Shot products for cleaning your shotgun. They are wonderful

I also like Lonesome Charlie's leather Products. For Shell pouches and Trap box's!!! I like the fact Lonesome Charlies box holders hold extra shells which you may need while shooting. Easy on and off with a belt clip as well. You can also Try Shamrock Leathers as well. Two distinctive looks to choose from. Real leather will last you a lifetime. Buy once and your done. Both companies guarantee there products for life, so you can't go wrong with either one.

You may want to look at getting some good ear plugs. I like the custom molded one's. The yellow one's you get from your local Ace hardware store are also very good if your still growing, or until you get a vendor in your area that can made you a molded set of ear plugs.

I kind of like the Wildhare line of "Shell Bags". You may want to look into what size will fit your needs the best. As there are small, medium, and large sizes to pick from.

Good Glasses for your eye's are very important as well. Different colors will help you lock onto targets better with different backgrounds as well. Rangers and Decots are very good. Many say the Pilla's are the best though. About twice the price as well!!! So hold off on the Pilla's for a couple of years. LOL you'll have enough other stuff to buy for now. Don't forget to buy some clothing products with the name Browning on it as well. Shirts, hats, sweat towels you name it!!! You want to look the part of a shooter right??? Well I've given you lots to think about now. LOL Good Luck on your Journey into the Clay Target Sports. Don't forget to break em all jeff

· Premium Member
Brownings
1,219 Posts
Niow I am confused. You are shooting a Citori, what do you mean by "shell catcher"? Shell catchers go on semi-automatics that throw empties to the side.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Barrel rest for O/U is your shoes. Snap a pad on it, it'll follow you around the range, you won't lose it.

I've been using this one for 20 years.
View attachment 1753390
Rules. Kids in various shooting “associations” like SCTP and 4H don’t allow toe rest.

· Registered
150 Posts
Great first gun! Proper care that will last a lifetime! As for what do you need, molded earplugs, any shell pouch will do and good set of glasses. You will eventually figure out what accessories you like and pick them up over time.

Really what you need are Shells, shells, shells! Just get out there and put some rounds down range and get yourself some good coaching so you develop good habits.

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
Good to know. Thank you.
I hope they don't allow closing action before your turn to shoot either.
They “frown on it” for sure. Especially pump and semi-auto. Easier to police break action shotguns.

If you haven’t watched these kids shoot you should. They are wonderful kids. And as always, coaches and financial help is welcomed.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.