Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After close to a 20 year break from shooting trap with some regularity, I've been back out about 1/2 dozen times in the last month and am ready to jump back into the shotgun sports once again.

I've been doing a lot of research on my own, but wanted to get some opinions from the experts.

Here's my criteria:

Budget of around $2k, but can stretch to $2,500 if needed.

I'd like a gun that is not specific to one sport. Will most likely shoot trap & wobble to start, but would then venture into skeet and sporting clays.

I'm not opposed to used, but would like to physically see and handle a used gun before committing $2k. Any advice on site other than Armslist with local listings? I'm in VA, just outside of DC.

What are your general recommendations that meet the above criteria, and any advice on what to look for and avoid on a used O/U would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
Browning 725 seems to be very popular with my contemporaries.

New Winchester 101 is gaining attention. Made in Belgium too.

I would stay away from the new SKB/
Weatherby. Seen some bad things occur.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I recently Bought a 725 Trap for my son He doesn't care for it Likes my DT better If I don't sell it at North east grand I will list it Here Thanks ROBERT

·
Registered
715 Posts
I think in your range the Beretta 680 series guns are hard to beat. Of the guns mentioned they are the easiest to maintain and rebuild when needed. Next would be the Browning. I am not familiar with the new Winchester 101. I do remember the old ones and to me they beat on you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Plus 1 for the beretta 680 series. I went to a Browning "Crossover Target" last year and love it. Mid height rib, shoots about 70/30. Trap, skeet, 5 stand and SC. Very versatile, very comfortable and I didn't break the bank. Love it!

·
Banned
848 Posts
Beretta 68x (around $2K), Browning CX (around $1,600), or Browning 725 (around $2,700) - whichever fits you the best. Beretta will be the lightest of the three so, beware of potentially heavier recoil. Regardless of what brand or model you will decide to go with, I would recommend to get 32" barrels, which seems to be the most popular length these days. You can always change balance later by adding weight into stock if any of those will seems nose-heavy. I would also recommend to take at least one 1-2 hour lesson with a reputable instructor/coach (preferably a sporting clays one - not trap or skeet), who will be able to identify your eye dominance (i.e. if you are cross-dominant or not) and give you more details on guns, gun fit (very important!), and the proper gun mount. Good luck!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Piling on here! I have not shot, but have handled a Browning CX. Seems like a great gun for the money. I use a Beretta 391 with very good results in all disciplines, although I do not regularly shoot trap.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hard to beat browning special sporting clays .Guns Unlimited .Good Luck
I've shot a Browning Special Sporting Clays for over 25 years on everything. It is my go to guns for everything Clays. Other than breaking the glow sticks in the front sight, never a problem.

Reactions: agrooms

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I'd look at used Beretta 682s in that price range.

My favorite buy close to that price range has been my Perazzi MT6. Fantastic gun, especially after I ordered some Teague extended chokes for it. They're often closer to $3k, but I've seen them occasionally drop into the $2500 range. I'd let you try mine out, but I'm going to be out of the country for the next several months.

As for local buys, head over to Prince George's County Trap and Skeet. Great public range (better than Bull Run Shooting Center) and they have a for sale board where you can sometimes find some good deals. They also rent Beretta shotguns, so you might be able to try out a Beretta 687 (similar to 682) for cheap.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
If you are not opposed to getting a used gun, browning xs specials are also really nice, parralel combs, and there was a regular rib and a high rib version.

several other nice options presented by folks above too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts