Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all who replied on my previous thread about identifying a friends gun. It certainly is a Stevens Visible Loader.

I just spoke to this individual and he would like to have someone in the Minneapolis area restore this gun as it had been his Grandfather's gun and he would like to have it done right.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Bud Bartholow

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Not in Minneapolis, but if you want it done right as in new from the factory try
http://www.turnbullmfg.com/
I've used them for a few projects and can tell you they are about as good as they come.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
Be aware of the difference between "restoration" and making it safely fireable

Tremendous cost difference and you lose that family heirloom look and feel.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks BigM-Perazzi. Well stated. I will make sure he looks into what he really wants out of the finished product.

Greatly appreciated.

Bud

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I see these types of guns (passed down heirlooms)every week. I tell most everyone not to do a restoration.

First off is the cost...probably surpass the actual value of the gun several times.

Secondly, it was his grandfather's gun, and most likely his father's also. Each one of these previuos owners added some character to the gun. A scratch here and a rusty spot there. Each ding in the wood has a story and by doing any type of restoration you're erasing a part of your ancestors history.

If it was a firearm you just purchased, say from a pawn shop, then heck, it's your money, spend away. But not grampa's gun.

Doug

·
Registered
25,277 Posts
If the bore is good, just clean it up and shoot it. That finish wear was put on by his grandfather's hands.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
GunDr, I have asked the guy to reach out to you to see about getting it cleaned up so his grandkids can shoot it. No restoration being planned according to my conversation today.

Thanks all for the recommendations.

Bud Bartholow

1 - 12 of 12 Posts