Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning out my garage last week I came across old containers of shotshell powder, Red Dot, Bullseye, W453 etc. Maybe a pound and a half in all. No smell of deteriation and looks like it was manufactured yesterday. I know I'm old and crotchity but I have no recollection when or how I got this stuff.
Here's my question: How do I legally and safely dispose of it? Any Suggestions? Thanks. Bob

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Bob... Reload it! I have some 700X that is almost 30 years old and it still is as good as new.... Powder does not deteriorate unless exposed to direct sunlight, etc. As long as it doesn't smell, it should be ok... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To many different powders to screw with. I'm set up using 700X exclusively. What I might do is take the box to Redlands Shooting Park here in So. Ca and let someone take off my hands. Failed to mention there is 7 o 8 bags of 28 gauge wads also in that box. Bob

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob K: Are you in So. Cal? If yes there yours. I'll be at Redlands SP on 12-29-13. Not thrilled about mailing. Bob

·
Premium Member
12,318 Posts
In Plain View,

Why not donate the powder to a youth shooter?

I suspect a local club might help here, but rather than dump it on the flowers why not get a young shooter started in reloading?

Food for thought.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Whatever you do don't let anyone burn it!. I have a friend with permanent scars. He's lucky to be alive actually. Bill

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
The idea about putting all the misc. containers in a box and taking it to your club with a 'free to good home' sign is best - at least someone can get some use out of it.

Much easier is just take it out and toss it up in the air over the lawn or garden. Hazard problem is gone and the plants will make good use of the nitrogen come spring.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Giving it to someone else is a bad idea! Only you know, FOR SURE, what's in that container. Most of the shooters I shoot with, including me, will not touch an opened container of someone else's powder for fear it just may have something in it other than what is marked. Not worth taking a chance, for any reason, in my book. As mentioned above, use it for fertilizer... Dan Thome (Trap2)

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
What is wrong with you wussies? Id be the first in line for free powder. No one has ever blown up a shotgun with 18 grs. of anything behind 1 oz of shot in a 12 ga.

·
Banned
2,644 Posts
"Giving it to someone else is a bad idea! Only you know, FOR SURE, what's in that container. Most of the shooters I shoot with, including me, will not touch an opened container of someone else's powder for fear it just may have something in it other than what is marked. Not worth taking a chance, for any reason, in my book. As mentioned above, use it for fertilizer... Dan Thome (Trap2)"

Dan has it straight and true. Spread it out and water it in and it's gone forever

I wonder what a 50/50 mix of bullseye and reddot would do at 18gr?

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
From the Lyman number 3:

Blue Magic-1oz-17.5 Bullseye-win 209-waa12f1-1184fps-7,600 lup

Blue Magic-1oz-17.5 Red Dot--win 209-waa12f1-1177fps-8,100 lup

Ajax

·
Registered
129 Posts
Burn it, it makes a nice glow that impresses the kids. Not sure how one could hurt themselves burning smokeless powder. I've touched off a few pounds in my day and all it does is light and burn. I usually spread it out in a pattern or if I have enough spell one of the grand kids names and lite one end of it. Hell it takes a little to get it lit it just doesn't instantly light off and all burn at once. Know black powder is a little different.

To the guys that say don't burn it I would have to ask what kind of stupid stuff were your buddy's doing when they got burned because they just didn't lit off the powder. Let me guess they piled a couple pounds in one pile, stood over the pile while trying to lite it and got a face full of flame? Or did they leave it in the bottle and make themselves a nice little bomb? Handling powder is no different then firing up your gas barbecue or filling up the lawn mower, you have to be smart about it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts