Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking for a while now about getting one. Is there any major difference between any of the ones out there . Have been looking at soft touch, counter coil, gracoil and isis Thanks

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I installed a RAD system on a 682 several years ago. Would not do it again. Recoil reduction can be had by shooting lighter loads and adding weight to the gun. The PFS system is far superior to the other systems out there. However they cost a lot of $$$. JMHO. Ed

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I installed a RAD system on a 682 several years ago. Would not do it again. Recoil reduction can be had by shooting lighter loads and adding weight to the gun. The PFS system is far superior to the other systems out there. However they cost a lot of $$$. JMHO. Ed
Beg to differ - the PFS may be a good system for some but it doesn't work for a lot of people. I've had Gracoil, RAD II, Clyde Slide, PFS, and now a Soft Touch. I'd put the RAD and the PFS at the bottom of that list - Soft Touch at the top.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have only tried the gracoil which I recently had installed, very happy with it, the reduction in recoil for me is significant. 3 dram loads were to heavy for me before, non they don't hit me hard at all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I've shot Gracoil and RAD's before and while they were ok I knew there had to be something better. I called Beth at Softtouch and she set me up. You make an "appointment" and you're only without your gun 2 to 3 weeks. It's better than either of the two mentioned. Can't speak for PFS. Never cared for the feel of the plastic grip or the mechanical appearance.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a SPS recoil reducer that I use to get better gun fit.
It works fine for better fit, but I need to mess with the springs for better recoil reduction I think

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe PFS is touted as the most efficient system in terms of reduction (if you can get accustomed to the look of it).
I recently had a Soft Touch installed on my Beretta.
It has helped my shooting tremendously. Much lower felt recoil and the comb and butt pad are fully adjustable now which improved the gun fit significantly.
They also did an excellent installation in one week, quality work all the way. I had the gun back very quickly.

Two thumbs up for the Soft Touch System.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Another way I have approached the recoil issue is to use low recoil ammo. In practice I shoot Winchester AA Low Recoil ammo, 7/8oz at 980 FPS. Bump up to 1 1/8oz at 1145 when keeping score.

Not what you asked for in your post, just another way to skin the cat.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, after checking around, I've decided porting / cone work would be a waste of effort. Everyone I checked with just said "it was popular at the time so I did it."
Last winter I had a Soft Touch installed, it's made a huge difference in recoil and fit.
I also shoot a 7/8 at about 1100 fps for practice and step up to 1 oz, 1280 for score.

thanks.

·
Vendor
19,943 Posts
I do have a "water pipe" reducer in my stock and it amazes me how effective it is. The reducer is home made (by me) and fits into the bolt hole on my Perazzi. About 6" of 1/2" ID copper pipe, filled with lead pellets, capped with copper ends that match the pipe and epoxy glued on. Inserted into the hole, tape build-up to make it fit and a wooden spacer to fill the end space abutting the .6 Kickeeze pad. It is in the stock you see in my avatar to the left of this post. If someone has interest, I will find my camera and take a pic of another I made for another stock. This type of reducer has been around for a long time and I say again, it is surprisingly effective.

When I think of recoil reduction I think in terms of percentages. Adding a 8 ounce reducer to my stock absorbs about 5% of the usual recoil. I reload 1-1/16 ounce 1170 fps shells that likely reduce the recoil by another 5%. Too, when summertime ATA shoots come around and I switch to new shells, I use Fed Paper 1-1/8 ounce 1150 shells. Seems counter productive some times to use a light load from handicap yardage, but all these shells book thru my Pro Chrono at 1200 fps average.

As you may know I get a lot of trap stuff thru my portals and recently I received a latest model RAD adj LOP and I had to remove it to take the stock off. I was pleasantly surprised at the relative low weight of the unit. The last RAD I shot was heavier.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Jack, what are the lead pellets? Shot, fishing sinkers,..?

·
Vendor
19,943 Posts
Here is the stuff and the finished "water pipe recoil reducer"
Technology Electronic device Copper Metal Pen
Wood
Table Wood Wood stain Stool Furniture
Drum Membranophone Musical instrument
Pen Tobacco products Fountain pen
Gun Shotgun Barbecue Suitcase

The case is my new "Fave" Smaller and easier to carry around. Lighter, handles a raised rib MX6 combo. The rib is a Delrin rib put on by Dave Berlet. Yo cannot see it well here but the back of the rib is abut 1/4" higher adn the front only 1/8" higher/the rib is actually a "cap" that fits over the MX6 rib. No screws, very neat installation. MX6 is a flat shooter. The Berlet rib brings it to about 70/30. The coiled wire is a replacement for the wood spacer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts