Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally convinced my wife the pad on her old Win. needs replacing. Over the years the rubber has been hardened. The problem is which type to get. I want to replaced it with a VERY SOFT pad to soak up the recoil. She is getting older like me and recoil bothers her a lot more now. I have settled of 3 choices Kick-eez --Limb Saver,-- and the Gooey pad. I have looked at the Gooey and it does seem the softest but, I worry it might not hold up well. Also their web site is not the best to foster sales. I am impressed with the Limb Saver but know little about them. I am told they are a good product an really reduced felt recoil and the ones I have seen do indeed feel soft on the shoulder. The Kick-eez is a good product ,and I have one on an 870 I own but I don't think it is the "softest" in recoil in terms of absorbing recoil. One advantage to Kick-eez is they offer a youth pad that is also a perfect fit for her stock as is. Still trying to decide. Don't want to spend money and just change it later. Ideas?

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
Gooey pads are soft. But they don't last for years.
I am OK with replacing them more often as they work.

I no longer even grind them.
Just screw it to the pad adjuster.
It is a bit bigger then the plate but that spreads the recoil over a larger area.

I have never found Kick-eze to be very soft but they will last for years.

Haven't tried a Limb Saver but have heard good things.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I don't know much about Limb Savers. I have shot Kick-Eez for a long time and they are not as soft as they used to be.

I have moved to Gooey pads from Kick-Eez on all my guns.

Yes, there are things that you have to do to make them last but in MHO they are worth it!

·
Registered
722 Posts
the limbsaver airtech is really nice, have them on all our guns.

They don't make the model in "exact" fit for our SX3's, bought the closest in size to stock (Rem 870) and egged screw holes out a little with dremel and screwed it on - I'll have to look at these "gooey" pads they sound pretty nice

Attachments

·
Registered
14,112 Posts
Recoil pads are a compromise, kinda like tires. The softer they are, the more frequently they require replacement. Gooey is at one end of the spectrum, standard Pachmayrs are at the other, and Kickeez is somewhere in the middle (although they've tended toward the harder end the past 5 years or so).

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Take a look at the Pachmayr F990 recoil pad. In my opinion, it absorbs more recoil that any of the other pads mentioned above. Many shooters, particulary ladies and youngsters use this pad.

John

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
There was a recent thread on here that discussed the cost of a new recoil pad and the charge for grinding and installing it. Somewhere between $100 to $120 is certainly not out of line. While I can afford a new Gooey pad I'm not willing to pay the labor charge for frequent replacements because they don't hold up. I have no experience with Limbsaver pads but I am very happy with my thick Modified Trap Kick-Eez pads.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've used limbsaver recoil pads in the past on an old 870 express and it worked well! And as most of you the 870 express kicks like a mule!

·
Premium Member
3,417 Posts
One of my my stock is a little on the large size and one has a pad adjuster... I use the Trap Dude Gooey trap pads and do not grind them...... works great

·
Registered
7 Posts
My preference is the pachmayr 550B, fairly soft, non-slip curved face, for larger coverage area, and, seems to last a long time ! I also shoot with an older woman, (70's) who wears a hot pad, as in cooking, under her bra strap.

·
Banned
10,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all for your suggestions. In the end I went with the Limbsaver. My local gun shop had them at 30% off ! I found one that is a good match for the pad and the plastic spacer is convenient to grind down to size. I found the Gooey to be the "softest" but, it didn't seem to be tuff enough to hold up in the long run. The Kickeez was a good quality but, was too hard at least IMO. The Limbsaver seems to be a good compromise and seems to be plenty soft. I shot an 870 once with the Limbsaver and it took a bite out of the recoil. Hopefully this will work well for her. Thanks again!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I put a Remington Super Cell on my 870 Wingmaster about a year ago and am well satisisfied with it. Easy to install, no grinding or fitting and uses original screws and holes and the difference between it and the old pad are Very noticeable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts