Trapshooters Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've heard that the pitch of the stock can also impact the amount of recoil being experienced by the shooter. I'm sure there is someone on here that has the knowledge and experience to explain.
Red,

Pitch has more effect on felt recoil on your cheek. It angles the butt of the gun away from their face and keeps it more square to their shoulder (basically). Shooters with bigger chests will need more pitch, the guns purpose built for ladies have pitch on their stocks, I believe.

·
Supporting Vendor
6,164 Posts
Get a G-Squared and don't look back. The ultimate in recoil reduction.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm not sure what game OP is shooting, nor how many rounds per week. I am a casual, recreational shooter and shoot a few rounds with friends every Sunday, and only from the 16. I am currently loading Remington STS, 3/4 ounce #8, CB 0175-12 wad, and 15 grains of Extra-Lite for 1250 fps and 6900 psi. This load has very little recoil and crushes the bird from the 16 if you do your part.

I dropped from 9/8 to 1 ounce to 7/8 ounce to 3/4 ounce and there was a noticeable reduction in recoil at every step. YMMV.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have packed weight into several stocks and it always helps. If you don't break the bird, the gun makes an excellent club. Run right out into the field and pound the clay to death.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Justin, my new gun has 1/2 in offset compared to 1/4 in old gun. Have adjusted the comb to look down rib with no issues. EXCEPT gun bumps me a little harder on the cheek. Would increasing pitch reduce my discomfort?
Have about 2/12 in of pitch now. Am average build at 5’8. 180 lbs.
I know skinny for a trap shooter.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Hi guys, wondering if I can be lazy and ask about adding weight to reduce recoil? I would like to add about 6 to 10 ounces of weight to my 9.0 lb trap gun. It would be both in the stock and the fore end to retain the same balance. I already am down to 1oz loads but would wonder how much more the weight might help me out.
I would try adding weight incrementally.
I usually find 8 ounces help me.
I always put it all in the stock.

I always like a gun to be a bit butt heavy for trap.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Justin, my new gun has 1/2 in offset compared to 1/4 in old gun. Have adjusted the comb to look down rib with no issues. EXCEPT gun bumps me a little harder on the cheek. Would increasing pitch reduce my discomfort?
The new stock / setup sounds very different from the old one.

I haven't found pitch to be the fix all for cheek bite.
It map help and it is easy to add washers, I have also gotten relief increasing LOP.

The additional offset could be contributing.
What has the additional offset done to your gun mount, head and cheek placement?

I would compare both setup and determine why the additional offset.

I hope the new gun works out.

It's All Good
West

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
Come over to my place and I'll let you shoot 5 rounds of 1150 grain .585 Hubel express generating 240 foot pounds plus of recoil force. After your friends pick up your teeth the rifle's cheekpiece knocked out of your mouth, and scattered across the ground and you get your retinas' reattached, suddenly you perceive, a diamond like, clear epiphany, that recoil, from any gauge shotgun, now seem like a joke in the scheme of things. Remember, it is all relevant to the big picture, just like when some pissed off woman you are out on a date with, explodes when she finds out you are married from the stinking, blabbermouth hostess at the restaurant, and then kicks you mightily, square in the balls with those damn Eye-talian brand, pointy shoes, and a you mega-crap your britches and pass what smells like ten liters of sewer gas on the way to the ground as your eyes bulge out and the only phase you can think of is: Oh- God! At that very moment, all of other life's problems, pain, and seemingly insurmountable obstacles, shrink to absolute insignificance, as your world narrows down for a seemingly, unending excruciating moment in the space-time continuum to bring about, such clarity of thought, on what is truly important (ask me how I know) in life.
Aloha

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Aloha, thanks for the real world perspective. Have just completed a successful cancer treatment and got a new gun. Thought all was well until gun started punishing me. Stock dimensions are the same except for the additional offset. That’s just the way the two have worked out. I know I am a recoil sissy.
That’s why I could never be a high power rifle guy, or take a beating from your wife!!
You’re a better man than me on several levels!
Always enjoy your stories.

·
5,691 Posts
... I know I am a recoil sissy...
I'm 5'10 250# and I don't like recoil either... once components are readily available, it'll be time to self-load my ultra light loads at 1090...

Recoil is no good for any of us...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Thriller,
Adding some more pitch may help if it is hitting you in the stock. It’s hard to tell with your offset being different from your old gun to the new one. If I were you, the next time I went out I would consciously make sure you are not lifting your head when you shoot, which will also cause you to get hit in the cheek. With a new gun you might be lifting your head to see the break, just a thought. If you aren’t lifting your head, add a little more pitch, if it doesn’t help, you can always take the washers out.

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
Hey just bustin balls my friend, it's all good,no credit of mine that I'm still kickin, as I'm a slow learner think with the little head more than I should, and hard headed the rest of the time. But I know, that God has a plan, even for the likes of me, and I have not yet been called on by the Master for my final tasks, and to do all that HE required of me. Remember your high school physics, adding weight helps mitigate recoil velocity and overall force thereby reducing pain .
Best wishes on a complete, total recovery, and you shall be in my prayers this very evening. Remember to keep the Faith, as Through CHRIST JESUS, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE we have but to ask! Remember Lazarus, He who walked out from the tomb, still covered in his death wrappings, after Jesus commanded him to rise up, despite being dead for 4 days!!... Not even Death or Hades itself can stand up to HIS WILL
Aloha No Ka Kou

·
Registered
745 Posts
If you can afford it, try a Pat McCarthy stock lock it aint cheap but you get what you pay for. Looks good too.

Dawson Enterprises

If adding weight is what you can afford now-try it.

You'll be your own judge, its trial and error.

Been down that road and yes, it does help.

If you don't like the results it easy to remove without harm.
And to just try it, put it all in the butt, once the gun is mounted, it will swing just like it does now.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts