Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, wondering if I can be lazy and ask about adding weight to reduce recoil? I would like to add about 6 to 10 ounces of weight to my 9.0 lb trap gun. It would be both in the stock and the fore end to retain the same balance. I already am down to 1oz loads but would wonder how much more the weight might help me out.

·
Registered
836 Posts
If you can afford it, try a Pat McCarthy stock lock it aint cheap but you get what you pay for. Looks good too.

Dawson Enterprises

If adding weight is what you can afford now-try it.

You'll be your own judge, its trial and error.

Been down that road and yes, it does help.

If you don't like the results it easy to remove without harm.

·
Premium Member
12,500 Posts
Any weight you add to your shotgun will reduce recoil. You can add enough to make recoil negligible, but you might have to mount the gun on a tripod. :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi guys, wondering if I can be lazy and ask about adding weight to reduce recoil? I would like to add about 6 to 10 ounces of weight to my 9.0 lb trap gun. It would be both in the stock and the fore end to retain the same balance. I already am down to 1oz loads but would wonder how much more the weight might help me out.
There are a couple of websites, google, where you put in gun weight, shot charge weight and velocity. They will give you recoil in foot pounds and you can play with the variables.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
Another option is a PFS stock. I’ve been using them for over 20 years and swear by them. Happy to have my shooting buddies bust my balls over the looks. I usually have the last laugh when scores are counted. Worth every penny for fit and recoil reduction. Good luck and good shooting, Rey

·
Premium Member
8,663 Posts
Here you go my friend, just what the doctor ordered a Thanksgiving gift for you. Just enter your values Voila! add the weight you want press go and see results not only infoot pounds, but more important recoil velocity. Used this to add weight on my monster .585 Hubel Express to keep recoil under 280 foot pounds, so as to not launch me to the fricken neighbor islands when I pull the trigger. Happy calculating!
Aloha (gobble fricken gobble)

·
5,691 Posts
Remember... its weight of the gun, weight of the ejecta and shot speed...

Up the gun weight, lower the shot weight and slow the load... that's how you lessen actual recoil...

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
As for recoil, weight is your friend.

I found if I add weight at the end of my stock, it doesn't affect my swings because the additional weight is right against my shoulder.
What affects my swing is what I got between and in front of my hands, the weight ahead of my left hand will affect my swing the most.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For my unsingle, I took a steel rod, threaded both ends 10-32. Then I made 2 1" slugs drilled for the rod with set screws and an oring to fit the hollow top stub barrel. Next was a 3" brass rod sized to slide over the rod and inside the barrel. A couple of springs on either side of the brass and a recoil pulse extender was born. Kept the between the hands and makes a marked difference in recoil pulse.

The 10-32 thread is to thread a handle I made to pull the unit out of the barrel .

·
Premium Member
2,107 Posts
I've heard that the pitch of the stock can also impact the amount of recoil being experienced by the shooter. I'm sure there is someone on here that has the knowledge and experience to explain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
someone please yell pull, I am going up as the target I just bought a tri start TT 15 trap weight 10 lbs and factory ported with factory pad recoil is very light, but due to some 65+ health issues I added a limb saver pad and with my handloads 7/8 oz # 8 cheddite hull and primer 17.5 grains tightwad BP super spark wad, over shot card there is almost no recoil. It can be done. OK fire away . PS thanks for the graphs god job

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
The math says that the amount of recoil reduction is directly proportional to the amount of weight added to the gun. So it takes about 26 ounces to get a 20 percent reduction in recoil for a 8 lb gun.. Thirteen ounces added should give about 10 percent less recoil. Felt recoil may not be linear with the actual free energy reduction though. So you should try the weight and see how it feels. Each time I have put 8 or 10 ounces into the stock my sporting clays guns I have ended up just taking it right back out after shooting the gun. It messed up the feel more than it improved the recoil. That might well not be true in a trap gun. And I am pretty old and weak. I go with the payload reduction.

Reducing the payload yields bigger gains in recoil reduction. A 12.5% reduction in payload (1 1/8oz to 1 oz) at the same velocity gives about a 25% reduction in recoil. A 10% reduction in velocity yields a 20% reduction in recoil. The kicker comes in that it is hard to find loads that reduce payload without increasing velocity and it is hard to know what you are actually getting out of the reloads you make.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts