Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had lots of opportunities to purchase reclaimed shot. I've heard many say it works fine for 16 yard. I've heard stories of barrels being scored from rocks. I personally won't use it to risk damaging my bbl. Most reclaimed shot is in bags where I'm not able to check each to find out if there are no small rocks. For the few dollars more I will not be using reclaimed shot. Others may have had great luck with reclaimed and KNOW it has been cleaned. It's your choice and you will make a decision whether to use or not. Good shooting and shoot straight.

·
Registered
'07 Kolar Max TA 3bbl set, Jeff Mainland fitted
2,746 Posts
Look up the photos that Tom Wilkinson posted of throat erosion in a shotgun and scoring in a reloading press, then tell me you'd shoot that stuff in your gun. When the shot impacts the ground, there are minute particles of silica embedded in the surface, and no amount of cleaning can remove it. We would not sell the reclaimed shot from our fields... all of it went to the smelter.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,262 Posts
Look up the photos that Tom Wilkinson posted of throat erosion in a shotgun and scoring in a reloading press, then tell me you'd shoot that stuff in your gun. When the shot impacts the ground, there are minute particles of silica embedded in the surface, and no amount of cleaning can remove it. We would not sell the reclaimed shot from our fields... all of it went to the smelter.
Just curious. Where is the science on silica embedding in the surface on impact from the ground. Asking for a friend

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
its great, but there is good and bad. I bought 500 lbs of great stuff a few years ago, 30 bucks a bag, compared to 43 bucks for new.
Some of us are spoiled, and can get new shot for $32-$35 a bag, so reclaimed isn't even worth thinking about.

I once, long ago, shot some of it through a Browning. I'd never shoot it through a Kolar or K-80.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Some of us are spoiled, and can get new shot for $32-$35 a bag, so reclaimed isn't even worth thinking about.

I once, long ago, shot some of it through a Browning. I'd never shoot it through a Kolar or K-80.
....and BTW, when I did shoot some of it, it was $20 a bag, purchased at the club while it was being mined. (2011)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
You say you shot some of it through a Browning. Are you saying the barrel was damaged? Right now new shot locally is $44.00 a bag. Reclaimed is $30.00 so I am considering trying some.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
You say you shot some of it through a Browning. Are you saying the barrel was damaged? Right now new shot locally is $44.00 a bag. Reclaimed is $30.00 so I am considering trying some.
I am not saying the barrel was damaged. But since then, I've seen bore scope images of damaged caused by "imperfections" ie grit, stone, etc, in reclaimed shot.

Scratch a barrel on a $1200 complete gun, maybe no one cares, scratch a $3-4K barrel on a high end gun, and no body wants it.

Go ahead and shoot what you need to, just make sure you know what could happen.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I am pretty sure Neil Winston said that if you want a modified choke pattern with reclaimed shot you will need to shoot a full choke.

When I was shooting 1 oz of reclaimed shot at 16 yard Trap targets and Skeet targets, I didn't get as good of breaks on the targets as I was getting with 7/8 oz of new shot.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts