Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Premium Member
15,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I reload and for years I have dumped my defective shells into a bin for future recovery. It was raining yesterday so I turned on the TV and went at it.

I now have recovered close to 1,000 primers, around 6 ~ 8 pounds of shot and I reserved ~ 2 pounds of Promo.

I am cool on using the primers and the shot - the powder (all from the same lot number), well I have that stored in a Promo container with a new label saying "RECOVERED" on it - that I'll save for when Biden does something more dumb than he has so far...

Any ideas on how better to open shells?? I have a couple of Gizmos that uses a razor blade to slice through the shell about half-way down, but they both have holes in them and some shells are so messed-up they won't fit into these devices.

I have another 500 or so waiting for 'the treatment...'

· Premium Member
15,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
You have thousands of "defective " shells?
How many shells must one load to have thousands of "defective " shells?
Well, I went through ten 8 pound containers of Promo to get there (on number eleven right now)... I load 16.5 grains of Promo under 7/8 Oz of shot.

I reload on a P/W loader and the center shaft was worn and indexing became a real issue (even snapped the Grivory ring [sp?]) - Whiz White replaced the shaft for me a few years ago and the rate of defects went spiraling downward.

As I said, these shells have just been sitting in a bin, but with everyone screaming about primers I figured now was a good time to go after them. I figure I should end up with 1,000 plus when all is said and done - basically for free.

Oh - I run the cut down shells through a single stage press to knock out the primers - slowly and steady does it (safety first!).

Reactions: sdive2

· Registered
7,113 Posts
Well, I once had a piece of shot drop into the primer seat hole on my MEC. I kept hearing this weird cracking sound when I pulled the handle. It took a number of pulls before I figured out that a piece of shot under the primmer was setting off the primer. So detonating a primer isn't that big of an event if you should. I had no idea de-prime didn't damage the primers until this thread.

· Premium Member
4,691 Posts
How many shells must one load to have thousands of "defective " shells?
It happens. My own experience was when I reloaded a number of 9mms without first testing if my Sig228 would cycle with them. It didn't. So I was left with 2 choices: either dismantle those loads, or shoot them as a single shot in my Sig. I chose the former. Talk about decapping live primers. Didn't have to do it. Just took the decapping pin out of the sizer die and proceeded with reloading a stouter load enough to cycle the Sig's action. It was a lesson for me. Never again reloaded a batch of shells/cartridges without first testing their suitability.

· Registered
36,835 Posts
It happens. My own experience was when I reloaded a number of 9mms without first testing if my Sig228 would cycle with them. It didn't. So I was left with 2 choices: either dismantle those loads, or shoot them as a single shot in my Sig. I chose the former. Talk about decapping live primers. Didn't have to do it. Just took the decapping pin out of the sizer die and proceeded with reloading a stouter load enough to cycle the Sig's action. It was lesson for me. Never again reloaded a batch of shells/cartridges without first testing their suitability.
Best investment I made was a size gauge. Even with resizing, I had same problem you found, but with “go-no go“ type gauge, problem found at loading bench, before shell was boxed.

· Premium Member
15,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I picked up a set of 'No-Go' gauges for competitive pistol rounds at a yard sale - $5.

Does 9mm, 45, 38, 357 - not sure if it does others, I'll need to go check...

Also got an NRA paper target gauge for $2 at the same sale, I think it does all rifle rounds from 22 to 338 (maybe 45).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.