Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good method for sorting through reclaimed shot? I am seeing some flattened pieces here and there in a bag I just opened. I'm thinking like a kitchen sifter with 7 1/2 shot holes. I am new to reloading reclaimed. I got it for $1 a pound so I figured I would try it out.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The only other thing I would tell you would be to run the last third of the bag through your kitchen sifter to filter out the grit and other trash that will settle to bottom of the bag. If not it seem to drift into the charge bar and starts to grind on the bar. Other then that just shoot it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
As others have noted....I just shoot it. I probably costs me a bird every now and then, but for practice I really don't care.

It has not been available here for a year or so. I wish it was as I would buy a bunch.

Joel

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
At what price point are you guys willing to buy reclaimed? Back in 2010, when I got home from Japan, my club in PA was doing a mining, and they were selling it at the club for $20/bag. I bought 5 bags, but don't think I would buy any more now, prices seem to be going up, and I can get new shot for $35/bag....not worth the little savings.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha fine... I'll just shoot it and not worry about it. I just wasn't expecting to see the flattened pieces in there and didn't know. So I bought this as part of a much bigger deal from a guy that was cleaning house (shot, shells, guns). He sold all of his shot to me at $1 a pound. There were 20+ bags in all, mostly West Coast, 5 bags of STS and 7 bags of reclaimed.

·
Premium Member
11,895 Posts
Haha fine... I'll just shoot it and not worry about it. I just wasn't expecting to see the flattened pieces in there and didn't know. So I bought this as part of a much bigger deal from a guy that was cleaning house (shot, shells, guns). He sold all of his shot to me at $1 a pound. There were 20+ bags in all, mostly West Coast, 5 bags of STS and 7 bags of reclaimed.
I recommend when you use this shot you "choke up" so to speak. Neil Winston's testing indicated reclaimed shot will pattern more like a modified choke when you run it through a full choke.

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
Does anyone have a good method for sorting through reclaimed shot? I am seeing some flattened pieces here and there in a bag I just opened. I'm thinking like a kitchen sifter with 7 1/2 shot holes. I am new to reloading reclaimed. I got it for $1 a pound so I figured I would try it out.
If it's not "leadminers" I personally would not send it down any of my barrels.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I have found I have a ton of problems running it through loaders in the smaller gauges. Shot hangs up and drops as you lift the handle causing a mess. I just can't put up with it, not worth the hassle to me.

·
Banned
42 Posts
I have use probably 3 to 4 hundred pounds as well and no problems. Mine was very clean no dirt, and very consistent. I had different sizes from 7.5 to 8 some 9s but the difference is so small its a moot point. I don't think it has ever cost me a bird either not from the 16 yard mark but its great to have as an excuse if i want it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts