Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
i think awe62 is referring to Brown County Sportsmans Club in Green Bay, we have no deformed ducks or fish. lake is well stocked and the fish are thriving
in spite of lead content. i don't know if anyone is eating them but they are easy and fun to catch.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
x-factor- Your post, and others, claim that the mathematical packing theory is incorrect. Usually when one challenges a theory, they present some evidence supporting their challenge or evidence that the theory is flawed. Do you have any? Remember, the packing theory requires the container to be infinitely large. A quick review of High School Solid Geometry might be fun.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
729 Posts
Pick the barrel up and go find a scale. You can find everything you need at a scrap iron place. They have a scale and something to lift it on and off the truck or trailer. I would like to know what it weight is also.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wonder why the shot bushing manufacturers make different size shot bushings to yield 1-1/8oz of different size shot? You would think if a certain size container (shot bushing) would throw 1-1/8oz of #7.5, it would contain the same weight of #8, #8.5, #9, etc., but it doesn't or they wouldn't offer the various sizes to yield the same weight. I believe we can substitute round barrels for round shot bushings and the same would apply.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
x-factor- I now see that with your last post, we are in complete agreement. I was in an area of theoretical math and you were concentrating on the 55 gallon drum. I guess I could not get away from my infinitely large container thing and the packing theory because, although I believe the theory, it does remain counter intuitive to me.

This site is great. One person can ask a simple question and we can then change the original question into something that allows our brains to wander off in unusual tangents. Some might even learn something new.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well seen as I have dumped a bag or two of shot in the carpeting of the reloading room I now put the remiander of a bag in half gallon milk jugs and I can tell you with a great degree of certainty that a hallf gallon mild jug hold one bag of shot. As far as the weight of a 55 gallon drum that wwould be 110 bags multiplied by 25. I also would ask if said shot was hard chilled or "Heavy Shot" would it weigh more with the latter?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think shot size variation is a bigger influence on the correctness of the packing theory than edge effects (at least when we're talking about a 55 gal drum full of shot.) I think that if you mix 7-1/2's (.094 dia) and 8's (.089 dia) there is enough size difference to preclude a very tight packing pattern. The packing density theory is that the spheres are all the same size and they pack together tightly - think pool balls in the rack, with another layer on top of that sitting in the depressions between the balls- that layer would also be in contact around their midlines. If you start mixing off-sized balls in the mix - they are not going to pack down well. I don't know if it would be a 5% or a 10% kind of impact.

3% antimony shot is about 2% lighter than pure lead shot which would amount to about 77 lbs, 5% antimoney is about 3.25% lighter- about 125 lbs lighter than the 3854 lbs of pure lead spheres.

john

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
I just filled a half gallon milk jug with homemade 7 1/2 very hard shot. About the same level as the milk that came in it, set it on a digital bathroom scale. 30.0 lbs. 60lbs/gal. 60x55=3300 lbs. To check the scales I weighed a bag of factory Rem shot, 25.0 lbs.
Looks like halfmile is correct.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Like said in an earlier post, If you dump a 25# bag on YOUR reloading floor....It will seem like a 55 gallon drum of shot on the floor. Been There... and Done That. If you dump and gallon milk jug..... you missed the entire shooting season.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Pat- how so? I think the packing theory is based on face centered packing with identical spheres-no?

Also- I did a not so quick estimate of edge effects by looking at how many #8 shot could be placed whole in one layer on the bottom of a surface with about the diameter of a 55 gal drum (57,131 if you want to know) - and then counted how many pieces of shot would not fit on that layer because they would get truncated by the drum wall (808) - I came up with about a 1.4% figure-- doesn't really equate to the packing number- but I think its not too bad an estimate for "edge effects"

So mathematically I'm zooming in on a number of like 3854*.974*98.6 = 3,700 which I believe would be an upper bound for all shot being the same size and packed to their maximum packing density.--- On another thread someone said that random packing density could get as low as a .64 number which would get the bbl weight down to something like 3,200 lbs. I guess if I was going to go rent a trailer to haul a bbl of shot or design a floor to handle a bbl of shot I'd be inclined to use 3700 lbs. If I was going to buy a bbl of unknown weight that was full to the brim and with no big dents in the side, I'd want to negotiate it down a bit.

kind of a fun trivial pursuit excersize-- wonder what affect shot deformation has?

john

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
john- Sorry, I misread your post. Now, the affect of shot deformation mathematically not be a "fun trivial pursuit", if fact is would possibly be impossible.

Pat Ireland

·
Registered
34 Posts
I recently got about 750 lbs. of #9 it was in gallon jugs, filled randomly close to the top. They weighed 53 to 56 lbs. on a scale I set up with a 25lb bag factory filled. Jack

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.