Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a shot maker for an amazing price. Now I’m wondering how to make shot. Wondering if anyone has a recipe. I’ve heard 3% antimony and 1% tin with the remaining 96% pure lead. Anyone have a recipe if I wanted to use wheel weights? Or a trick I should know? All suggestions are helpful.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If ya got wheel weights just run them! Cleaned up first though. I have run a mix of 70% wheel weights and 30% straight lead with good results also.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You have just begun an incredible journey...I have been making shot since 1990.
Way to many things to cover in a post....but it will be a lot of trial and error until you get a feel for your equipment, oil, heat control etc.
My one word of advice...Make sure you do not use any wheel weights that contain Zinc !!!!

Have fun,
Wadcrusher

·
Registered
55 Posts
I too have just started. Wheel weights work perfect for making shot. I have also taken 75 lbs of reclaimed range lead and 10 lbs of Linotype. That gives you nearly the same formula as wheelweight. That worked perfectly for me. I drop my shot into fabric softener. Two things you really need to pay attention to is only drop the lead 1/4" before hitting coolant and don't fill your shotmaker too much. You will get oversized shot for a while. also make sure you keep moving your shot away from the drop zone so it doesn't cake up. Have fun, I know I do!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Soft lead asnd wheel weights run very well at 50 / 50. Hard enough and breaks targets well PAST 30yds. As stated NO ZINC. A half pound of zinc in 100 pounds of good mix and....well....you can probably cast bullets and have sinker material for sure. All above is good advise. Get a good thermometer. PAY ATTENTION to the maker. They are like different loaders, they will "tell" you what they want if you pay attention. Sounds funny, but every shotmaker (person) will tell you the same thing. AND different mixes in different climate conditions will change how you run that mix on that day. The art and reward of making shot is using what you can get to run shot with. Be flexible, take notes on what works.
I am OLD and have been running shot for about 20 years--about 6 tons in all. It's heavy.
The next hobby I take up will be something with feathers!
Have Fun-PAY ATTENTION!
Jim

p.s. MOST of the advise you will get about this subject will be from people who were told what to do by someone who knew someone's distant relatives great great grandfather who might have made shot. In other words they have never melted an ounce of lead!!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Making shot is an art. As well as a trial and error experience. You better have a good reliable source for lead. Lot's of threads here. Do a search....

popcorn eating.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
I make mine out of WW's with an Oasis shotmaker. I run twice a year and make 250 lbs. or so of #8's. Be sure to coat the lip under the drippers with graphite or soap stone when it is cold. I use graphite spray. I put a "chock" under the front of my shotmaker to raise up the front as the intial melt takes place I also use a propane torch to super heat the drip lip. When the initial lead as melted I use a pair pf pliers to lift the front and remove the chock. This sets the maker down with the lip within 1/4" of the coolant. By preheating the lip you should get a good shot pour at the start. I use fabric softner for my coolant. I sit by the maker and feed it ingots as needed. I dip the shot out of the coolant and put it in metal coffee cans about 1/2 full. This makes it easier to wash the coolant off the shot. Then I pour it on a towel to dry. Once dried. I sift it through a metal pan that drilled holes in the bottom. Then Iput about 5 lbs in my vibratory tumbler with a squirt of graphite and run for 5 mins or so till shiny. Then pour it into your container(I use empty fabric softner bottles) and you ready to load it. I use my shot for skeet/doves and quail. zit works as good as factory.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts