Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running out of powder and all I have left on my shelf will be Herco. I'm looking for 12 ga 1 oz load data for AA or Gun Club hulls with Cheddite primers and Claybuster wads. I want to get about 1200-1300 fps. I just need this until I can find a more suitable powder. Thanks for any input. Jack

·
Registered
606 Posts
I just yahooed 'herco powder'. Recommended for heavy shotshell or heavy handgun loads. Friend of mine loved it for his duck loads. Look it up.

ctreay

·
Registered
119 Posts
Maybe you could trade the Herco for a more suitable 12 gauge powder. Try asking around at your club. Put a note on the bulletin board.

·
Registered
910 Posts
For what it is worth - I, too, found myself with some Herco and not a lot of use for it. I used to use it for 28 ga loads but recently changed to Pro Reach for my 28 ga reloads. I have some reclaimed shot and measured the weight of the drops of reclaimed shot from a bushing that is supposed to drop 1 1/8 ounces of regular shot. I found that the result was a weight of very slightly over one ounce (ten measured drops all weighed between 450 and 454 grains - one ounce is 437.5 grains so I was between 2% and 4% over one ounce.)

I used the Alliant formula for 1 and 1/8 ounce of shot and 25 grains of Herco powder. I've used both a Red PC and a CB 1118 wad. The volume of shot fills the wad nicely in spite of being lighter that what is called for. The result is that these shells burn dirty but they do an adequate job on targets to 35 yards at sporting clays. I suspect that if I had some Federal 209A primers they would burn a bit cleaner but I don't know that for a fact.

Again - for what it is worth. JPM

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Herco is designed for 1 1/8 loads and higher lead charges. You can not create a large enough burn with this powder behind an oz to make it work correctly.

When you eject the shell unburned powder will fall out. Your barrel will look like you dumped a shaker full of pepper down it.

Personally minimum load would be 1 1/8 around the 1250 fps mark. A decent powder for the gaming folks with 1 1/4 loads.

Brady Gies

1 - 5 of 5 Posts