Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to pick up a long awaited gun at an independent FFL this SAT, one I’ve used several times before (I’m a South Carolina resident). I was surprised when he came back to tell me a “Delay” finding had been issued. This has never happened to me after multiple gun purchases. We reviewed my application and quickly determined he had given them an inaccurate social security number (by his own admission he reversed two numbers). He quickly called back NICS, explained the situation to someone different, and was transferred to a line that never answered so no resolution & I ultimately went home empty handed.
He advised me we’d need to wait to see if NICS would call him back (presumably with a denial due to the SS# mismatch) or if there was no reply by them this week to the Delay there’s a provision that he could transfer the gun or we’d start the process over (but this next SAT). Based on my research it appears this could actually happen THU following a 3 business day wait period (the Brady law??).
Any FFLs or recent buyers that could explain their experiences or understanding of these situations? I realize I should just be patient and see what transpires this week but mostly curious how this plays out or if there’s something that actually could be done in the meantime to expedite the process.
It’s my understanding a concealed weapon permit avoids potential issues like this for future purchases & streamlines the process. Correct?

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I had the same problem with the last two guns I bought within the last 6 months. Delayed both times for 3 and 5 days.
Large dealer that I had bought many guns from. They said perhaps it's your somewhat common name. I told them it's the same name I've always used and never been delayed until these last two.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Pennsylvania has our own system (PICS). I haven't had a delay happen but have had the kid calling in put my birthday in too fast and got information back for someone entirely different. 45 minutes later we got through the check with a live person.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RickN, were there any interventions in between the delays or communication from NICS? Or did those days simply elapse and the dealer gave you the guns without any additional steps?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Skeetman is correct- don't list your SSN. There are a LOT of delays now simply because of the volume. If no contact back, after three(3) days the gun can be transferred.

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
davissc, no additional steps, just had to wait. They did tell me that if I hadn't heard from them after 5 days to just come and get the gun. I took it to mean that it couldn't be more than the 5 day wait.
I had forgot about the conceal carry permit. Mine had expired 2 years ago and I didn't renew it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
As for the SSN...several years ago I was constantly getting delayed...wasn't putting SSN on the form. I traveled throughout my state for my job and it didn't matter what type of firearm or what dealer I was purchasing from, it was always delayed. A couple of times it ran thru the 3 day period and I was allowed to go ahead and pick up the firearm from the dealer...the rest of the times I would get a call from the dealer a day or two later that it was cleared and to come and get the gun. The only explanation that any of the dealers could give was that someone else with the same or similar name was flagging it each time. The next purchase I decided to put SSN on the form...in 15 minutes I was walking out with the firearm...no delay. From that time forward, I have never been delayed...ever...and we are talking over the last 30 years or more...not one delay. Just made a purchase 2 weeks ago and even with this hoax going on, it went thru fine...no delay.
Don't know if the SSN is the reason for no more delays or not, but the way I look at it, the government already has your SSN...they issued it. In my state for years your drivers license number used to be your SSN. In all honesty, for us older people our SSN is tied to everything we have done our entire life...it was a common form of ID for just about everything including government related stuff...so it is out there and I am sure it is no secret to the government...even the BATFE.
I fully understand nowadays not wanting to use your SSN and since it is not required on the form, then why use it...so I am not against anyone not wanting to use it.

·
Premium Member
12,913 Posts
I live in PA.

From the day PA went to the PICS system I would go to an operator for a phone-in purchase clearance. 100%

I have a PA issued CCW, I have class three toys, and I have a BATFE issued explosives license, I have had several 'security' clearances over the years too - none of that mattered, I always went to the operator for further evaluation. Fortunately none was ever 'delayed' - just a pain in the back-side to have to wait the extra time.

Now most shops use the on-line access to the PICS - with this I clear in about 60 seconds...

·
Registered
243 Posts
It’s my understanding a concealed weapon permit avoids potential issues like this for future purchases & streamlines the process. Correct?
In my state (Minnesota) this does not make a difference.
I've had customers who just received their latest carry permit literally the week before who were still delayed.
It could be call volume, common name, day of the week, alignment of the planets, hair color, how often do you mow your grass, etc.

The only time I've suggested a customer may want to include their SSN is if the name is quite common.
Such a conversation can be a minefield. One gentleman had a very, very common name and became semi-riled when I made my suggestion in a calm manner. He chose not to provide it - okay fine. When he was delayed he became very, very riled - at me. Hey buddy, I'm just the messenger.

One regular customer has a security clearance to work at nuclear power plants - gets delayed every time. Our side of the counter was wondering if his security clearance was the reason. He does have a common name too, so who knows?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate the feedback so far, makes me feel better about the situation. My anxiety is that somehow this gets caught up in some administrative lock up and it takes a long time to get the gun - but that’s just me being inpatient too. I assumed providing a social security number was mandatory. Looking into CWP options here, might be a good thing to have regardless, but appears that too takes some time to process as well as expense.

·
Premium Member
12,913 Posts
Dumb question here...

Why does the FFL not just have you fill out another 4473 for a 'different' purchase for the gun making sure the data is entered correctly?

He screwed up - so it is his issue (he will be charged a fee for running the check - but hey, he created the issue).

I don't see there being a problem. Just because the check goes through (eventually) for the first purchase doesn't mean you 'bought' the gun. He can write 'void' on it and file it away. The reason would be because of the delay (I can't tell you how many people walk away from a purchase because it was 'delayed' so it is common place).

Any FFL's want to comment on this one?

Reactions: abby1

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live in PA.

From the day PA went to the PICS system I would go to an operator for a phone-in purchase clearance. 100%

I have a PA issued CCW, I have class three toys, and I have a BATFE issued explosives license, I have had several 'security' clearances over the years too - none of that mattered, I always went to the operator for further evaluation. Fortunately none was ever 'delayed' - just a pain in the back-side to have to wait the extra time.

Now most shops use the on-line access to the PICS - with this I clear in about 60 seconds...
That was my first time going to the operator. I've bought 3 guns in the past 2 months but that seemed to be the only foul up. I'm pretty sure it was operator error on the part of the clerk.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Dumb question here...

Why does the FFL not just have you fill out another 4473 for a 'different' purchase for the gun making sure the data is entered correctly?

He screwed up - so it is his issue (he will be charged a fee for running the check - but hey, he created the issue).

I don't see there being a problem. Just because the check goes through (eventually) for the first purchase doesn't mean you 'bought' the gun. He can write 'void' on it and file it away. The reason would be because of the delay (I can't tell you how many people walk away from a purchase because it was 'delayed' so it is common place).

Becuase that would make sense. This is the government we are talking about here.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Along with what Rum River said...CCW does not matter in my state(Indiana) either. As well, I was registered with DHS thru my job and would assume they would have everything known to me on file...all I know is that the delays quit once I put SSN on form...go figure.
To the original poster...I am sure it will get cleared up.

·
Premium Member
12,913 Posts
I checked with my buddy with an FFL in PA.

He says that with the PA 'PICS' system it would kick back - it would see the information for one check being too similar to the other on 'delay' and thus it would not go through. He could not comment on the Federal system of NICS.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
If the person was delayed I would not fill out a new 4473. If the new one took without a delay you are ok, if not, ATF may try to make it an issue, who knows with them.
"Delayed" is not "Denied". The good part with "delayed" is that after three business days your FFL holder can transfer the firearm if the ATF has not replied by then. I got disconnected once during a background check. The ATF called me wanting to know why I did not finish the check. They did not like it for some reason. I always tell people to include their SSN on the form, some still will not include it. It makes the check faster if you have a name that is in their database that is not eligible for receiving a firearm. Heck, you don't think the government does not have it already. There is much easier ways to get your SSN than the 4473 for the bad guys. My two cents worth. Regards, Bob

·
Registered
370 Posts
Went to pick up a long awaited gun at an independent FFL this SAT, one I’ve used several times before (I’m a South Carolina resident). I was surprised when he came back to tell me a “Delay” finding had been issued. This has never happened to me after multiple gun purchases. We reviewed my application and quickly determined he had given them an inaccurate social security number (by his own admission he reversed two numbers). He quickly called back NICS, explained the situation to someone different, and was transferred to a line that never answered so no resolution & I ultimately went home empty handed.
He advised me we’d need to wait to see if NICS would call him back (presumably with a denial due to the SS# mismatch) or if there was no reply by them this week to the Delay there’s a provision that he could transfer the gun or we’d start the process over (but this next SAT). Based on my research it appears this could actually happen THU following a 3 business day wait period (the Brady law??).
Any FFLs or recent buyers that could explain their experiences or understanding of these situations? I realize I should just be patient and see what transpires this week but mostly curious how this plays out or if there’s something that actually could be done in the meantime to expedite the process.
The concealed weapons permit part all depends on your state. Here in Michigan the permit allowed you to bypass the NICS check. Unfortunately that isn’t the case anymore and it really stinks. Your state might be how Michigan used to be though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dumb question here...

I checked with my buddy with an FFL in PA.

He says that with the PA 'PICS' system it would kick back - it would see the information for one check being too similar to the other on 'delay' and thus it would not go through. He could not comment on the Federal system of NICS.
Filling out an additional 4473 makes the problem worse - now instead of resolving one NICS check they have to resolve two NICS checks.
From the way it was described it was an honest mistake that the counter person was doing their best to resolve. Firearms stores don't make money by not selling guns. By the way there's no fee paid to run a NICS check.

As to voiding the form - I feel once you've conducted the NICS check that time is past. If this had occurred at our store there would have been information filled in the appropriate blanks on the 4473 as it went under 'further review', what NICS operator was checking into it, date the delay status would expire and so forth.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The concealed weapons permit part all depends on your state. Here in Michigan the permit allowed you to bypass the NICS check. Unfortunately that isn’t the case anymore and it really stinks. Your state might be how Michigan used to be though.
We had this in Minnesota for a few months too before they rescinded it. While in force it was just a matter of filling out the 4473 correctly. From what I was given to understand - the reason it was rescinded was that as the carry permit was valid for five years, there was the fear that if the permit holder messed up (felony conviction or whatever) and lost their permit, maybe the card itself wasn't confiscated and was still in their possession.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts