Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question came up at the club yesterday about FFL dealers receiving firearms for us that we’ve had shipped in. Now I’m a prolific buyer of firearms. It’s been said I have more money than brains which is probably pretty accurate. I do a fair amount of buying selling, and trading, so I often need help receiving arms. So here is the question. I have three top choices of receivers. I’ll see which one you would pick.

Receiver #1 has a nice storefront and an active business. He’s open 6 days a week, 9 to 6 and always there. If not, he has well trained employees to take care of business. He’s a friend and I do a fair amount of business with him. He will call when the gun comes in, makes sure everything is OK and we do the deal. He is the most expensive at $50 per transaction.

Receiver #2 Has an active storefront. He’s open 5 1/2 days a week, 9 to 6 then 9 to 12 noon On Saturday. He’s a nice guy, friendly, but there only a portion of the time. He’s also a neighbor. When he’s gone, his employees are a bit clueless. Nice guys all around but they make me a bit nervous. He charges $10 per transaction.

Receiver #3 I have known a very long time. A very tough personality, honest, but you walk around him on eggshells. He doesn’t mess around. He is in and out of his store. Irregular hours. He is free.

Now my pick is receiver #1. I want a dealer always there, someone I know and trust, will take care of business, and will call as soon at the gun arrives for me to come pick it up. I’m willing to pay top money for peace of mind. I want someone with a 100% business rating and I will accept no less.

So, with all that info. which dealer would you pick?

· Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Let's see...$50 is 2% or less to have piece of mind and assurance that your $2K (or more) acquisition is handled carefully. That said, it never hurts to ask (with a smile) if you're eligible for a good customer/senior citizen discount. Especially if you might buy extra stuff when you take delivery. Me, I would stay with #1...and ask.

· Registered
Who can have just one?
40 Posts
#1 hands down. Peace of mind is worth the extra money. He, or a trusted employee, is there when the gun comes in. That is a big deal, I don't want my gun going on vacation because no one could receive it. He makes sure everything is OK, another big deal. If something is amiss when the package is delivered, its better to have a record of the problem starting with delivery.

· Registered
1,107 Posts
Question came up at the club yesterday about FFL dealers receiving firearms for us that we’ve had shipped in. Now I’m a prolific buyer of firearms. It’s been said I have more money than brains which is probably pretty accurate. I do a fair amount of buying selling, and trading, so I often need help receiving arms. So here is the question. I have three top choices of receivers. I’ll see which one you would pick.

Receiver #1 has a nice storefront and an active business. He’s open 6 days a week, 9 to 6 and always there. If not, he has well trained employees to take care of business. He’s a friend and I do a fair amount of business with him. He will call when the gun comes in, makes sure everything is OK and we do the deal. He is the most expensive at $50 per transaction.

Receiver #2 Has an active storefront. He’s open 5 1/2 days a week, 9 to 6 then 9 to 12 noon On Saturday. He’s a nice guy, friendly, but there only a portion of the time. He’s also a neighbor. When he’s gone, his employees are a bit clueless. Nice guys all around but they make me a bit nervous. He charges $10 per transaction.

Receiver #3 I have known a very long time. A very tough personality, honest, but you walk around him on eggshells. He doesn’t mess around. He is in and out of his store. Irregular hours. He is free.

Now my pick is receiver #1. I want a dealer always there, someone I know and trust, will take care of business, and will call as soon at the gun arrives for me to come pick it up. I’m willing to pay top money for peace of mind. I want someone with a 100% business rating and I will accept no less.

So, with all that info. which dealer would you pick?
You can add a poll to your thread and let everyone tag their preference. Little three-dot column at the top of the thread where you would select 'edit'.

That said, I would (without hesitation) use #1. Too many unknowns in the other two options and I personally don't like surprises. Surprises are the precursors to chaos.
But that's just me. (y)

· Registered
89 Posts
I don't buy as much as I used to but the fees always bothered me. I would tend to want the lower fee. I agree that stuff like this always costs something. In the examples given, I'd probably choose #1.

· Registered
2,766 Posts
I would take the #2 option. You have to do the same thing at all three, and #2 is close by. $50 for a transfer is price gouging. :p

It usually comes down to overhead costs that determine transfer fees. Larger stores are going to charge more for the bookkeeping hassle. Smaller stores will gladly do the transfer for less for the extra income.

Reactions: Marlin 24

· Registered
475 Posts
I would pick number 2. It’s only 10 bucks and I’m sorry but any employee in a gun business has to be capable of doing a transfer. It ain’t rocket science.

50 dollars isn’t gouging. If you ran a gun store I’d bet you would have a different perspective. 10 dollars isn’t even worth the businesses time but hey you are paying so might as well do that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
6,031 Posts
My "go to" FFL offers a reduced rate for repeat clients. Maybe you should discuss a possible reduced rate with #1 since you are a high volume customer.

· Registered
175 Posts
I like your #1 choice. Sometimes I don't want the neighbors or others knowing all of my gun transfers. I used to use a business and they started getting upset when I would purchase a firearm elsewhere. So I went to a business like you described in #1. It is worth the money and no hassle.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
My favorite store that I have dealt with for 40 plus years. They would only get upset with me for using them to transfer something I could buy from them because it is regular stock. As far as Trap guns going through that store the pickings have been mighty slim. If you are keeping up with what is in stock and aren't buying something that leaves their stock waiting to move any complaint is well just ignorant. I would also point out that any complaint about a transfer gun not being right or needing repair or not what it was listed as because they are handling the paperwork is not their department. But would easily be their problem if they really pushed at being the middle man.

But having been around the business #1 is the choice. I would rather pay a premium for knowing that everything is going to be handled absolutely perfect. And not have any worries from there.

Al

· Registered
206 Posts
I have not seen a $10 charge for a transfer in the past 25 years. I was paying at least $25 plus NICS as long as I can remember. A long, long time ago - like the 60s, I had a neighbor who has a collector license ( he had an extensive Luger collection) and he would do a transfer for free but I was a high school kid who only had money for a gun every coupe of years or so.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.