Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a hand tool I can get to try and sharpen or renew old engraving in an old receiver? Any help appreciated

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I have rubbed elbows with a couple of master engravers. I can not use the words they used when responding to the original posters question.

Simply put the chisel has to be the exact thickness and sharpness as the one used by factory engraver when it was done. Then the hammer? The weight and strength of the operator/engraver has a lot to with the original work and failing to match that? Well schiff show is kind words for the results. I am only repeating what very good engravers have said. But they recommended grinding to a clean surface and starting fresh with new engraving.

Al

·
Registered
168 Posts
Tuna,
Why not post pictures of the gun to get members feedback. It might be a wise decision to take Big Az Al’s advice to heart. Your question suggests you don’t have the experience for such a task unless you have a worthless old gun you want to practice learning the art and not concerned with destroying the gun? But if it is engraved, it may not be worthless.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I must assume from these replies that no HAND tools are available. All I could do with a chisel and hammer is screw it up. Will try to find someone to do it or leave it as is, is an old single shot 16ga with Greer and Lang engraved on it. hardware chain in w.va early 1900. Just trying to clean it up a little

·
Registered
102 Posts
I must assume from these replies that no HAND tools are available. All I could do with a chisel and hammer is screw it up. Will try to find someone to do it or leave it as is, is an old single shot 16ga with Greer and Lang engraved on it. hardware chain in w.va early 1900. Just trying to clean it up a little
See below... might be what your looking to accomplish or get ya in the correct direction?
contenti.com/engraving-tools/gravers-n-handles

·
Registered
211 Posts
Re-cutting old engraving is a common task for engraver. Tools are available from a variety of sources.
Best of luck - I've had classes in engraving and the simple mechanics of it is not an easy thing to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts