Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I personally have Makita drill and impact driver with the bigger 18v li-on 3 ah batteries and my son has the DeWalt 5 tool set with the 18 XRP li-on 2.4 ah batteries. He uses his at work while mine is a home use but either is good. I like the bigger 3 ah batteries as they last longer between charges.

I would stay with a name brand like Makita, DeWalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee and the like. Craftsman is OK but they change manufactures so batteries might be a problem later down the line although I found batteries for a older 12v Bosh I have.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
My son is a carpenter by trade, so uses and sees used just about all the cordless tools available. He bought me a Makita set for fathers day. The set consists of a drill with adjustable clutch on the chuck, adjustable for two speeds, an impact drill, charger with two batteries, all in a nice hard canvas case. He must have got a smoking deal on it, or he was feeling really generous towards the old man, because I saw the drill alone for sale, and was horrified at the price.

He told me that you had to be VERY aware of the origin of the tools, because the manufacturers seem to have two nearly identical models of most cordless tools, for widely varying prices. Generally, the cheaper one is made in the Orient, of lightweight materials, and won't stand up to hard continuous use. It may be fine for the home handyman, who uses it occasionally, but not for a tradesman. If you don't know tools well, get a carpenter who does to go with you when you go shopping. Good luck.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I have three sets of the Makita. Lith batteries. I have owned the one set for over 5 years now. Still going strong, and as a contractor, I use them almost daily.

Now, that being said, who knows what the latest stuff is like.

Rick in MT

·
Vendor
19,392 Posts
I have the Makita tools in the bag. Driver Drill, Power screwdriver, circular saw, Recip saw, and light. Batteries charge in less than 5 minutes. Have 3 lith batts and never run out of charge. My corded tools were ecclectic group.

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I have a 3 tool Porter Cable kit with the niftiest mini Sawzall you ever saw. Had it 2 months and haven't had to charge the batteries yet.

HM

·
Premium Member
12,298 Posts
If you have an older tool that you like you can have the batteries re-built.

http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm

http://www.primecell.com/webpages/Shipping.htm

You can do it yourself as well - Do some research before you go this route...

https://www.google.com/search?q=1.2+volt+liion+batteries&oq=1.2+volt+liion+batteries&aqs=chrome..69i57.9360j0j4&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=119&ie=UTF-8#es_sm=119&espv=210&q=1.2+volt+Ni+Cad+batteries+to+rebuild+tool+batteries&tbm=shop

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
Few people alive have owned more Porter Cable tools than me.

But they are pure garbage since they sold out, and Lowe's apparently purchased the right to put that venerable name on the lowest end tools this side of Harbor Freight.

-Gary

·
Registered
16,617 Posts
I've had them all in conventional Nicad battery tools, and the worst was Ryobi. The rest were a ford/Chevy/dodge argument. My 12V Porter Cable (with the rare earth magnet) drill always felt strong enough to turn a house around on its foundation, LOL.

Have to wait and see on the Li-ion battery model.

HM

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bosch! the best hands down. I have owned every other brand, Makita, Dewalt Millwaukee, Hitachi, Porter cable, you name it I have had it and have had nothing but Bosch for the last 8 years.

Vic

1 - 11 of 11 Posts