Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
My experience may not help but offers an alternative. I have watched for and bought a couple of 1100s with moderate rust/wear on their receivers but otherwise good shape. I stripped off the rust and original bluing using Birchwood Casey Rust/Bluing Remover liquid and steel wool. Then I had the bare receiver polished by a gunsmith and protected the bare receiver with deep penetrating oil and wax. The result was an 1100 which many mistook for a Remington Competition Model....looked great especially if the stock, barrel, and trigger assembly were in good shape. Just my experience and an alternative to bluing. Regards, Ed

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed, that is what I have on one receiver, I polished it up some and it looks pretty nice, get complements on it all the time, just thought blue would be better. Hi Tron, have you worked with Remington on reblue, if so how much and time frame if you have a minute, thanks.

·
Supporting Vendor
9,772 Posts
Ed, that is what I have on one receiver, I polished it up some and it looks pretty nice, get complements on it all the time, just thought blue would be better. Hi Tron, have you worked with Remington on reblue, if so how much and time frame if you have a minute, thanks.
A buddy of mine had a magazine support break, so he sent it in to have it resoldered and they had to reblue it afterwards. It was $200, but the gun looked new when he got it back. It took a couple of weeks or so.

·
Premium Member
8,015 Posts
Try Gun Kote in Gun Metal Blue. After spraying and curing in oven burnish with brown paper grocery bag, the finish is so deep it looks like you can fall in. I got great results that rival my series 70 Gold Cup and Python. Prep and good spray equipment make a difference. If your set on blue try GlenRock Blue he does a 10 step dipping process. not cheap but nice results.
Aloha

·
Registered
4 Posts
I reccommend using a slow rust blue. I've dine it a few times and it has worke d out well. Easy to do once the metal is prepped and relatively inexpensive. Personally I like blue metal to stay blue/black. But I understand the ease and reason for cerakote/duracoat

1 - 12 of 12 Posts