Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
That's a dandy. Thanks for sharing the picture.
I have my Father's 99...manufactured in 1941, .250/3000. It went through a lot over the years, including a lot of G.I. gun oil darkening the wood, a house fire, Florida humidity..etc. As a result...although she still shoots REAL well...I never got to see what she looked like when Dad brought her home brand-spanking new.
VERY appropriate scope too...!!
Excellent combination. Congratulations.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had this for several months.
FFL who sold it said it was on consignment from someone who kept it a long time in a humidity controlled safe.
I do not know why the original owner never used it.
I am looking forward to spending some quality time at the range.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Your Savage 99 looks like the day it left the factory, to bad the original factory box did not come with it. Those old 99's shoot extremely well, sub MOA is easily attainable
once you find the right factory ammo it prefers. Your challenge will be finding enough ammo selection to test.

Is the rifle a "R" model or a "EG" ??

SM

·
Premium Member
6,023 Posts
That's one heck of a fine specimen. While we know like new pieces 50-90 years old are out there, ever having the opportunity to purchase one is extremely rare. You are fortunate.

Are you going to hunt with it?

·
Supporting Vendor
10,244 Posts
This thread almost brings tears to my eyes. I had some beautiful Model 99's that I sold when I was laid off. They are the guns that I miss the most. THE best lever gun EVER made, period (my opinion).

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the rifle a "R" model or a "EG" ??

SM
It's an EG

The R's had the beefier forearm and factory sling eyes. The R's were all factory drilled for a scope.

The EG's started to be factory drilled for a scope in 1954. It's hard to find an early EG that did not have sling eyes and was not drilled and it is very hard to find an EG which was not hunted.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
SWEET!! Are you feeding it factory fodder or hand loads? Bet it shoots lights out and hammers deer. I have a bunch of brass if your loading

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
1956 my dad and I both bought '99s .300. My dad got the RS and I got the EG. I put his rear peep sight on mine and he put a scope on his. We both hunted with them. I don't know which killed more deer but they were both right on. They were both in excellent shape when I put them both away in my safe, after my dad's death. I didn't even think about them until recently when my 16 year old grandson needed a gun for this years hunt in PA. We hit grandpa's safe and out popped his great grandad's 99RS. We took it out and test fired it and it shot just as accurate as when I put it away 25 years ago. I hope that he gets as much enjoyment out of it as my dad did.

Ed Yanchok

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a Model 99 in .300 Savage that I would love to put a scope on. It now has a Lyman peep sight. My little 2.5 to 7 power Leupold would be perfect. Do you know where I could get the receiver tapped for the mounts? Thanks, KQ

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1956 my dad and I both bought '99s .300. My dad got the RS and I got the EG. I put his rear peep sight on mine and he put a scope on his. We both hunted with them. I don't know which killed more deer but they were both right on. They were both in excellent shape when I put them both away in my safe, after my dad's death. I didn't even think about them until recently when my 16 year old grandson needed a gun for this years hunt in PA. We hit grandpa's safe and out popped his great grandad's 99RS. We took it out and test fired it and it shot just as accurate as when I put it away 25 years ago. I hope that he gets as much enjoyment out of it as my dad did.

Ed Yanchok
Love it!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a Model 99 in .300 Savage that I would love to put a scope on. It now has a Lyman peep sight. My little 2.5 to 7 power Leupold would be perfect. Do you know where I could get the receiver tapped for the mounts? Thanks, KQ
Any gunsmith can drill you two holes in the front bridge.

But if your gun has any collector value, drilling it will take all the collector value away

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I had a collection of between 20 and 25 model 99s when I started shooting trap. Got rid of them all as I started buying trap guns.
My favorite was one in 358 Winchester. It was a deer killing machine. I had two in 22 HP. I wish I would have kept one of them
long enough to get a deer with it.
Bud

1 - 20 of 32 Posts