Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been shooting traps for a short time and just made my first 25 straight. I would like to advance and try doubles. Is it too soon or should I just go for it?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
No, it's not to soon. You should have been shooting them all along.

You get to practice a short shot and a long one at the same station.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been using a Muller mod./improved modified choke (U3) for singles. What should I use for doubles? Also, if I'm right handed is there a proper shot order - left to right or right to left?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I'm right handed and I shoot the straight away(right) from 1-2 and the right target first from 3. Then back to the straight(left) from 4 and 5.
I've found I like Imp/Mod for the first barrel and full for the second.

Others shoot them differently. Try some and find out how you like them yourself.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'm right handed and I shoot the straight away(right) from 1-2 and the right target first from 3. Then back to the straight(left) from 4 and 5.
I've found I like Imp/Mod for the first barrel and full for the second.

Others shoot them differently. Try some and find out how you like them yourself.
I do the same as ajax, doubles are the most fun.
jack mc

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Leo Harrison III is the record holder for the most Grand American Doubles championships. His instructional video will help you to understand the game and put you well on your way to enjoying (and winning) in the doubles event. You can preview it on YouTube. I continue to sell his DVDs. There is one for singles/handicap and one for doubles, each is $60 plus shipping. If interested you can email me: [email protected]
Leo always said "You shoot singles for glory, handicap for the money, and doubles for the fun!"

·
Registered
531 Posts
I just shot my first set of doubles last Sunday and I will tell you its a whole new ball game and as others have said....TONS OF FUN.

Heres your first tip.....KEEP THE GUN MOVING!!! LOL

Reap

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Leo's tapes are well worth the money. I have them( a gift from my wife) and review them often.

There are little things a person forgets, with the tapes you can be reminded at any time.

Good luck, and enjoy the Doubles!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I think it's sort of an interesting question. I started shooting trap again after a 15 year layoff and never shot much doubles in the first place. I've been back at it for about a month and a half so I'd very much consider myself to be in your same situation.

Someone whom I trust is helping me get back into it. Around a month ago I asked him when I should start shooting doubles and he replied, "Don't worry about it, when you're ready, you'll know." He wanted me to shoot in the mid-90s pretty consistently beforehand. I asked him again today and he said I was about there.

The main message I take away from that is to feel good about your fundamentals, where your gun shoots, etc. I wouldn't think there's anything wrong with putting it off for a little while, but you might as well get to it pretty soon. I would find someone you can trust and can see you shoot and do what they tell you to do. It's much easier being able to lean on someone else's experience when at all possible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've shot doubles once and expect to shoot doubles every week or two. Shooting with a semi auto, I'm thinking about an IM choke but I'm wondering if I should mix shells and shoot 8's on the first shot and 7 1/2s on the second shot ... any feedback on this approach?

·
Banned
4,738 Posts
I've shot doubles once and expect to shoot doubles every week or two. Shooting with a semi auto, I'm thinking about an IM choke but I'm wondering if I should mix shells and shoot 8's on the first shot and 7 1/2s on the second shot ... any feedback on this approach?
Don't fall into that trap. pick one load and use it for both. Too many start out trying to out think them. Just shoot them and stop worrying what you are using. If you miss, it's you, not the choke or the shot size. There is no magic, no pixie dust.

·
Administrator
8,662 Posts
I shot a Beretta Urika 391 for singles,caps,and doubles for quite awhile and for doubles I used a mod. choke and for a load most of the time was a Remington Lite Target 8. There were times where I would use a 1oz 8 and whatever I was using for a handicap shell at the time for a second shot. These days with with my MX-2005 I use a Lite Target 8 for both shot and do not feel at a disadvantage at all.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OP here again ...
I tried doubles yesterday and you guys were absolutely right about it being fun. I had to scramble a bit but still managed to break a few targets. I used a light modified choke for the first shot and mod./improved modified for the second. Also, it made sense from the discussion above to work from right to left on Stations 1 & 2 and the opposite on Stations 4 &5 so that's what I did. Now I'm looking forward to skeet and sporting clays.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
The standard rule is to always shoot the straight away first, unless you are Sean Hawley, who shoots all five positions the same. When you get to be as good as Sean, you can do it any way you want, it works for him!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Congrats on your first doubles experience...I will say that when I got done shooting doubles the singles looked like they were not moving...lol

Reap

1 - 19 of 19 Posts