Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A shooting friend uses re-dropped reclaimed shot and says it's better than just reclaimed. anyone use this shot? Bill

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I do and it's good. How much? Don't know if there is a measurement other that opinion BUT if you believe something is better, you usually do better with it.
I have a theory that shot dropped into liquid, is harder because it is "quenched". I have shot it for several years now and it will break targets at really long distances.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Northwest Shot company down around Medford, Or does it. I do not know if they check Antimony levels when they redrop the lead. I shoot it for singles and doubles with great results. Its round like new shot.

If anyone it Wa State would like to go in on a bigger buy let me know.

Brady Gies

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
You are essentially asking if new shot is better than reclaimed. It most certainly is, and it's also more expensive. Most reclaimed I have seen is just nasty.

·
Premium Member
1,725 Posts
Reclaimed IS NOT What he is asking about. Lead that is mined smelted and redropped is what he is wondering about.

Call Larry Stockman your self and ask about his operation.

Personally I shoot reclaimed shot for singles and doubles. Any miner worth their salt will polish and graphite shot to the best of their abilities and sell decent lead.

Yes I have seen some real sh** reclaimed shot. Others looks great.

Lou I sent ya a pm.

Brady

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I might be interested in a ton if you all are heading up that way.

I know in the past Larry has made runs down the west coast (I-5) delivering to the gun clubs. But just remember it is on Larry's time and you can't rush him or it will take longer.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Help me understand the difference between lead smelted from ore, made into ingots and dropped from a tower. Or shot that is remelted, cleaned, made into ingots and dropped from a tower?

Ajax

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Reclaimed shot that has been remelted, has an unknown percentage of antimony, and Northwest shot isn't dropped from a tower, it is made with drippers. It is round, new shot, but not all new shot is created equal, and it usually is reflected in the price. Mark

·
Banned
10,106 Posts
If 70% of pellets make it into a 30" circle what % of those same pellets, many of which are seriously deformed, make it into that 30" circle on their next trip?

Re-dropped should be just fine-reclaimed-not so much!!

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
How and when do pellets get deformed? Against each other, initially moving down the barrel, when they hit the target, or when they hit the ground? If they are deformed when the shell initially goes off, and they are compressed against each other, then even new shot is coming out of the barrel deformed, and is straying apart as it travels. How much more is it deformed, if it is shot a second time, and how much does that further affect the pattern? I have shot tons of reclaimed shot, that was cleaned, graphite, and sorted by size. It seems to break targets just fine. Mark

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Unless Northwest has changed since the last time I was there. They don't drop from a tower in what we would expect a tower to look like. They use the short drop system. With a system of no cooling solution and heat control to finish forming of the pellets.

I shoot reclaim for Singles and the first shot in Doubles. After spending a quite a bit of time at the pattern board, I lost confidence around the 24 yard line.

Ajax

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
I thought that West Coast shot in Nevada had the only shot tower on the West coast. Mark

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Nevada is the only tower on the West coast. My understanding is they are not using it. Lawrence bought them and are shipping all the shot from the plant back East.

Maybe someone will have an update?

Ajax

1 - 20 of 24 Posts