Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this gun as a shooter and the grip damage doesn't really bother me when I shoot. But I was wondering if this can be re-checkered without taking too much wood off of the grip so it looks better and still feels about the same?

I'm pretty sure the person I bought it from said it had a palm swell at one time. I never have seen a palm swell. Is it usual for them to be glued onto the stock as it looks to me to be what has happened here?

Is there anyone on the list that does re-checkering on a not-too-fancy BT-100? The checkering on the right side of the grip is still pretty much perfect.

If it's too much of a problem to fix I'll just continue to shoot it as-is.

btgrip.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
I only have tools for 20 LPI so if you have a thread pitch gauge use that to check the spacing if it is 20 LPI il do it for you if you cover shipping.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll see if I have a thread pitch gauge tomorrow. Not sure. And how do you build it up? Just curious.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Those are pretty big patches that the lines are nearly gone, I’d think it would be pretty tough to follow those with a single line cutter. It would be a pretty straightforward approach to re space those fields that are gone then bring em to a point. You’re better then me if you can keep lines straight and spaced using just a single line cutter!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Use a long jointer checkering tool to pick up the lines. Mine is home made from drill rod. A tiny "v" chisel helps near the borders.
As has been said, the deeper damage could use some building up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You can recut but will be a little depression as you will need to use a single line cutter and get deep to bring back to a point. Build up with saw dust and epoxy or even a filler such as Elmer's wood filler will work however unless restaning the entire stock you will more than likely see it, never matches perfect. A jointer or spacer of proper size would work for picking up lines. You can really bring back checkering to nice points in most cases.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's the after picture.

Thank You to Cowboy Rick for cleaning up the checkering. It turned out much better than I thought it could and has the new gun feel now -

I think that's pretty amazing work considering how worn it was and how much hardened glue was on there. It's much appreciated.

BT-100-rechecker.jpeg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts