Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Model 12 Trap..."Y" model that I purchased used several years ago. Great "trap games" gun. The receiver is plum colored while the rest is a nice bright blue...I know this isn't uncommon, as I have seen others have that plum color. My question is, is this from an improper blueing job or is it the make up of the metal? I would like to re-blue it, but will it just come out the same way or can something be done in the process to assure it won't turn plum colored? Thanks

Gene

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A really good Gunsmith should be able to blue it correctly.
Call Phillip Crenwelge in Emory,Tx 210-313-5988
So, are you saying that the "plum" coloration is a result of incorrectly bluing then and not the metal/material make up? I have heard it both ways, so thought to ask the question and see what the consensus was. I will call and inquire with Phillip. Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
It is both the material (cast steel) and blueing procedure. Yes, it can be re-blued with the correct temperature and technique to obtain a nice blue finish. The whole gun would probably need to be done or the front end probably won't match the receiver if just the receiver is done. Same thing applies to the older nickel steel guns.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is both the material (cast steel) and blueing procedure. Yes, it can be re-blued with the correct temperature and technique to obtain a nice blue finish. The whole gun would probably need to be done or the front end probably won't match the receiver if just the receiver is done. Same thing applies to the older nickel steel guns.
Thanks for the response. I just remembered that the top portion of the receiver is almost a matte bluing, this has the duckbill rib...assume to keep glare down...wonder how they will just blue the sides and not the top? Will call and find out what the best options are. Thanks again.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Thanks for the response. I just remembered that the top portion of the receiver is almost a matte bluing, this has the duckbill rib...assume to keep glare down...wonder how they will just blue the sides and not the top? Will call and find out what the best options are. Thanks again.
They will have to re-blew the whole receiver. If whom ever is doing the re-blueing should have blaster to do the top of the receiver for the matte finish. Ask them before you have them do the work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Who ever you get to do the job see if he has references on other Mod12s that he has done. There is a few gunsmiths that can do a good job but there are a lot that say they can but with out references you will not know and after a couple years you will find out if they did you right or not.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks John...I intend to discuss the issue and see what feedback whoever I call gives back as to knowledge. I do have a rifle smith that has been in business for 45 years and does some real high dollar firearms, including bluing. His work is some of the best...I am going to approach him first and see what he can tell me.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks John...I intend to discuss the issue and see what feedback whoever I call gives back as to knowledge. I do have a rifle smith that has been in business for 45 years and does some real high dollar firearms, including bluing. His work is some of the best...I am going to approach him first and see what he can tell me.
Considering the Value of Y model 12's not sure the re=bluing would be a best investment? As wahtsamoie, posted the post 64 cast receivers and barrel bands have long history of turning plum. If you hate the color so bad it might be cheaper to buy a pre-64 receiver 3 pin receiver with the rib ramp you need and have your front end fitted to the chamber ring.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's not really a matter of hating the color...just thinking of sprucing it up a little. I have owned it for a couple of decades and with being cooped up and not much to do, I thought it might be a decent project to get the receiver looking "better". The bluing is worn on the bottom from carrying it also, so figured a nice blue job wouldn't hurt...just didn't know if the results of re-bluing would be the same or not. But thanks for your suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
I used "Mark Lee's" rust blue formula to re-blue an early Model 31 Remington that had rust troubles. It came out great, I had my friend and gunsmith polish the receiver as I didn't want to risk clumsy cornering. I am quite happy with the results that look very period for the gun.

·
Registered
533 Posts
It's not really a matter of hating the color...just thinking of sprucing it up a little. I have owned it for a couple of decades and with being cooped up and not much to do, I thought it might be a decent project to get the receiver looking "better". The bluing is worn on the bottom from carrying it also, so figured a nice blue job wouldn't hurt...just didn't know if the results of re-bluing would be the same or not. But thanks for your suggestion.
Just a FYI, I have seen many cast receiver and nickel steel guns with no problem with the purple appearance. At the factory they were blued in batches. I feel the purple ones were done on Monday after a weekend of beer and other spirits drinking or possible at a time of a labor dispute. They were blue when assembled and inspected for shipment. They turned purple after time passed. Same with gunsmith re-blue. There are many more out there that did not turn purple than did turn purple. Other guns like the model 77 Ruger which the receivers and other parts were cast almost always turned purple. Today most new guns and re-blued guns are what I call BLACK. The beautiful blue guns sadly have become a thing of the past.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a Model 12 Trap..."Y" model that I purchased used several years ago. Great "trap games" gun. The receiver is plum colored while the rest is a nice bright blue...I know this isn't uncommon, as I have seen others have that plum color. My question is, is this from an improper blueing job or is it the make up of the metal? I would like to re-blue it, but will it just come out the same way or can something be done in the process to assure it won't turn plum colored? Thanks

Gene
It's plum because someone else tried to reblue it already. And did not know what they were doing. Bluing salts were not hot enough for the nickel steel of the receiver.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Simmons is the best or at least they used to be.
I have had them do probably 20 or more in the last two years. Only complaint is there blueing is not blue, it is black. Polishing is good but I would never use them for a restoration. If I am adding a vent rib and going to have it engraved I have them leave it in the white and let my engraver polish and the gentleman he uses do the blueing.

·
Premium Member
8,358 Posts
Personal experience of a fricken picky old grouch like myself, has for over 50 plus years taught me that no one will match two different blue jobs the way you really want. So it's best to re-blue the whole firearm. Consider polishing the firearm yourself if you have the tools and skills, and send the prepped gun to Glennrock Blue for his famous 10 tank blue. If you do your part, the gun will come out better than you can hope for, I've had results that were astounding like an old time pre 70 German Weatherby Mk V rifle blue black finish you could fall in to, and for a mere hundred bucks or so you really can't beat this deal as you'll happily dance all the way to the stinking bank, and no one will believe the deal you got, once the feast their eyes on your like new gun.
Best Wishes
Aloha

Glenrock Blue - Gun Bluing, Firearms Restoration and Refinishing
PS if money is no object, get his 2000 grit guaranteed no waves or ripples true Masters Finish, not cheap, but real quality, like from the golden age of firearms master craftsman, which is rare to find in this day and age.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, Glenrock Blue really looks impressive...certainly seem to know there business well.

·
Registered
430 Posts
This is the way they are supposed to be. It's a badge of honor in my book. Look at the older Remington model 700's, Ruger's, FN actions. These older guns will last a lifetime and will be passed down to the next number of generations.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts