Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that has rcbs ever get the primer feed to drop everytime. If I don't keep my eye on the feed, sue enough one won't drop and powder ends up on the table an floor. Been working with this problem for a long time. Bill

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have the same problem, if you don't already put about 10 primers in the primer tube then put the primer tray on that will help with the problem.

Zach

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Originally I had the same problem. It turned out that the tube was positioned too low and that caused the plastic fingers to splay out too much. After a while the primers stopped dropping all the time, because one of the fingers was open more than the others. That caused the primer to tilt a little before it dropped. Sometimes it would drop properly, sometimes not at all, and other it would drop sideways.

I got a new plastic piece from RCBS, installed it and backed up the drop tube until a primer would not drop at all. Then I lowered it bit by bit until they always dropped. At that point I lowered it a very slight bit more and locked it up. It has worked fine ever since. However, I do keep 4 or 5 primers in the tube, just in case. Once in a blue moon primer won't drop. Usually I catch it, but sometimes I don't.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeap - put extra primer in the primer drop tube than after a while, whoosh powder down the hole of the powder drop station. Happens so often that I now have a powder catch bin under the station. it is held in place with velcro strips.

I'll have to adjust the powder drop tube to see it that cures the problems.

pca7ggr_2009_200363.jpg

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Most folks just mount a small mirror under the primer station. Becomes second nature to glance at the mirror and make sure you have a primer. Keep a few loose ones on the bench to insert if drop fails. There aren't any 100% reliable primer feeds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The primer tube will hold 28 primers. I just kick them down the tube until it is full each time i replenish my primers and never have a problem.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Same problem here. Probably 1 in 100 don't drop. I like the catch cup idea above. I'll have to try that. Not only a cleaner floor but you can recycle the powder.

·
Registered
21,600 Posts
Hornady 366's primer drop system is pretty darn close to 100% reliable. The only time mine fails to drop a primer is when I allowed them to run out. Notice I did say pretty darn close to 100% though as all systems fail once in awhile.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I've owned a Mec a Dillon and now RCBS and they all gave me trouble with the primer feed, in fact Mec came out with an improved primer feed and it didn't help a bit. I just watch it every drop and catch it when one doesn't fall. I haven't tried a Spolar I wonder how it works I understand it has a vibrator.

warren

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
warren, my Spolar is very, very good at handling primers, but even it is not perfect. There is an occasional hang up at the point where the primer leaves the tray and enters the track, much like a PW.

As grntitan says above, the 366 may just have the best system of all. Until you wear out the little pliable plastic part at the bottom, it almost never fails to deliver. It took me over 20 years to wear out that little part on my 366. The only thing with them is that you have to remember to "re-charge" the tube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts