Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For you guys that have the Grand, can the handle be put on the left side? Reviews of this machine would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
200 Posts
If the handle was on the left would that not interfere with inserting a hull in station # 1? I've had my 12 ga grand about 6 months after loading for years on sizemasters. Never knew what I was missing & have not really used the MEC since the grand arrived.

Only issues I have had were due to my stupidity on some adjustments to the primer seating station # 2. Caused some parts breakage to the primer transfer parts.

If you get a Grand contact RCBS and get spares of the shell holder clips/springs, wad guide, primer transfer bar, primer dispenser collet,etc. RCBS will send these free of charge. Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been reloading on a grand for about 4 years. I agree with Woody, I would not trade it for any other loader on the market. Amazing machine. I load about 2500 shells per month for my son and I:3a:...Ron

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been using a Hornady 366 for the past 15 years. Had a Spolar with hydro unit for a little while, but the Hornady still remains and Spolar has gone on to a much higher volume shooter than I. The grand seams to have a few improvements that I would like my Hornady to have. (ie;hull activated powder and shot drop, powder/shot easy empty,easy shell removal for inspection, ecte). My only concern is long term durability. I'm a set it and forget it type of guy. Don't want a constant tinkering senario. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had a grand for about two years. It loaded reasonably well, but was continually breaking parts. The feet that hold the shells were problematic, and some of the other soft steel parts needed to be replaced. On the upside, RCBS was very good about sending me new parts, but I became tired of fixing it. Went to a Spolar with hydraulics, and would never go back.

Reactions: bjk1972

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
I have a 12ga and a 20ga Grand. Both are first year production. Had some minor issues for the first year or so. Once it was adjusted properly and all of the upgrades installed, it is pretty much trouble free. As said, RCBS has great service and parts are free. Until I got the Grand's, I had Mec's both single stage and progressives, . PW's and Hornady. If RCBS made a Grand in 28ga and 410, I would have them also. I haven't tried the Spolar as I am very happy with my Grands. Bill Hom

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have had the Grand since 2002, and other than the few plastic parts that wear out once in a while, the Grand is as good as they come. Adjustment is easy, and needs adjustment very infrequently. Little plastic parts are easy to replace, just do it when cleaning the machine every few months.

The only thing is the Grand doesn't have a good power operating system. The tech I talked to said they have only sold 3or 4 of them, and currently on back order. Doesn't sound like something worth while, the manual operation is very easy, and I can see no benefit in a power system.

For the money, I would not consider the spolar when the Grand works so well, and is built like a tank. You can find used ones in like new shape for under or close to 500 bucks. but, no .410 or 28 gauge, only 12 and 20. Once you learn a few little operating tips, the Grand will be as trouble free as anything on the market, meaning PW and Spolar. Mec is not even in the picture. IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts