Trapshooters Forum banner

RCBS Grand Primer issue

1157 Views 4 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  daledb
Have RCBS Grand, actually two of them. Recently on one of them the primer feeds to the transfer bar looks good going to the shell plate but maybe one out of 20 times it turns on it's side or flips completely over. I discover this when pulling the operating handle and feel resistance. So stop and look to find primer on it's side or flipped over. If I'm lucky the primer has not been crushed. Anyway any idea's what may cause the primer to flip once it gets there?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
1,584 Posts
Have RCBS Grand, actually two of them. Recently on one of them the primer feeds to the transfer bar looks good going to the shell plate but maybe one out of 20 times it turns on it's side or flips completely over. I discover this when pulling the operating handle and feel resistance. So stop and look to find primer on it's side or flipped over. If I'm lucky the primer has not been crushed. Anyway any idea's what may cause the primer to flip once it gets there?
Have you checked to see if the ring on the transfer bar is broken off ? That's what happens to mine when your problem happens.

· Registered
36,899 Posts
Probably the most irksome and troublesome feature of the Grand. The return spring on the transfer bar might be weak and need to be replaced. Remove the spring, check the movement of the transfer bar, make sure it is not impeded. Might want to clean and lube the trough the bar slides in with a dry lube.

Resistance felt in the handle may be a sign of the primer station being a problem or something related to another problem and preventing the smooth and compete movement of the transfer bar. with the transfer bar and spring removed, check the handle operation.

When reassembling, make sure the primer sleeve the transfer bar slides into is not turned and stopping the bar from sliding forward enough.

Usually the primer tipping over is due to a disruption in the smooth movement of primer feed drop and delivery.

Reactions: Craig51

· Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has a new transfer bar and spring. The transfer bar moves freely. After playing with it I find if a primer is ready to be seated and I pull the transfer bar back and let it go the back of the ring of the transfer bar will contact the primer and it may bounce enough to set the primer sideways. I'm going to try removing a little material from the back of the ring and see what happens.

Thank you to all who responded !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.