Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just got a RCBS grand shotshell press. The powder bushing the press comes with is designed for federal gold medals with red dot powder. I have all Winchester AA hulls and can’t seem to find any load data in my book that uses that powder bushing with those hulls and no one has RCBS powder bushings locally and I was hoping to get some loading done this weekend. Anyone have any load data for that bushing using win AA hulls? Type of powder and wad does not matter as stores near me have tons of stuff like that. The bushing it comes with is #452

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I’ll be the first to say it now, “Get thee a scale” and weigh what the bushing is dropping. Bushings are “NOT” designed for any certain shell. It might have been what the previous owner used with his powder and Gold Medal hulls. I haven’t a clue about RCBS bushings, but they are available mail order from many places, heck, Amazon might have them.

·
Registered
29,585 Posts
Hornrady, PW, Pacific, any bushing other than MEC will work in your Grand. I have many from those I mentioned. You can find bushing through any mail order or big box sporting goods stores, primarily Hornrady. Another good source is gun show where used reloading tools and accessories are found.

The numbers on the powder bushing are the inside dimension of the bushing, the diameter of the hole in thousandth of the inch.

Go online to the powder manufacturers for loading data for AA’s. They also have the bushing sizes for a particular powder, which are close, but not always exact per the guide. Throw weights can vary.

The Grand is not specifically designed for Federal shells, but it is set up specifically for Federal shells at the factory, which means you will have to make some adjustments on the three final stations, all of which are the crimping stations.

·
Registered
29,585 Posts
Who sells the adaptor?

·
Registered
263 Posts
The reason it comes set up for Federal shells and Red Dot is that Federal, RCBS, Alliant powder(Red Dot) and many other sporting product companies are owned by the same parent company, Vista Outdoors.
I would try Midway USA for bushings. RCBS uses Hornady bushings as do the other companies mentioned above and Spolar does too. You should get 3-4 bushings larger and smaller than what is called for. A powder scale is a must. Don't trust what the bushing chart says to use. That is just a starting point.
You will probably need to do some adjusting for AA hulls. Call RCBS Technical Service for help.

·
Registered
29,585 Posts
Gremlin, Thanks much for info. That is a great find. I am not set up to make stuff like that.

·
Registered
29,585 Posts
Found it, thanks.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Your #452 bushing should throw just over 19 grs. of 700x powder. I use a #453 bushing for 19.5 grs of 700x when I weight it. I do this by dumping 10 loads in the pan and weighing it dividing by 10 to get an average. This is a good load in the Gold Medal hulls and can be found on the Federal site and on Hodgdon's site using all Federal components with 1 1/8ox. of shot. Good luck but do buy a scale soon because I've found the charts are off a bit from the claimed powder charges. Hornady has an excellent chart to use their bushings online on their site that will help you out.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Bushings are made to a certain volume. Load data tell you the powder charge in weight (ie grains.) A bushing chart tells you what weight that volume might drop, not what it will drop for you. Maybe it does, maybe it doesnt. Use a scale to check what the bushing actually drops.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,524 Posts
Red_Oak. My Grand came new with a #453 bushing. It is in my loader now and it drops 16.8 to 17.1 gr. of Red Dot on my RCBS beam scale. I load this in the AA HS hull with a Win209 primer, a Downrange Jammer 1 wad with 1.0 oz # 8 and the Rem STS or Gun Club hull, Win 209 primer, the Downrange TGT wad and 1.0 oz # 8 at 1150fps. Good singles and first shot doubles load. You might want to look at your bushing number. Bill

·
Registered
164 Posts
As Rick said, these bushings are all pretty much universal with the exception of the MEC but you can get an adaptor to use the MEC bushings if you ahve them. Not much point if you don't already have them. I got mine off of Ebay.
As Dirt said, get thee a scale. different powders will meter differently through the bushngs so you may need to get two or three bushings that are close together to find the one you need but the only way to know is to throw a few loads and measure them on the scale.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
The bushings are cheap. Since I used a lot of different powders, I ended up with about 30 powder bushings in very small increments. I nevr had any troubles throwing the exact charge weight I wanted.

BTW, Hornady has some bushings that are not listed in their catalog. They were left over from previous runs. If you are looking for a dia. in between two you have and don't feel like making one yourself, give them a call.

BTW2, they also have shot bushings designed for a specific weigh for each size of Chilled shot. Foe example, the bushing will be stamped 1 oz. #8. It throws the ideal weight for Chilled, but will be a little light for real Magnum shot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts