Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded for years with various MEC's. Had normal press and problem issues but was always able to identify the problem and return to normal operations. Since retiring I've joined a league and shoot more often for fun and competition. A friend suggested I get a RCBS grand, he is a high volume shooter, his favorite press is the Grand. 6 months into the Grand experiment I'm ready to give up. Each station on the Grand has been a challenge but the show stopper has been fail to feed primers, when the primer does feeds it does not sit properly and jams. Welcome any advice or reasonable offer to make my Grand your Grand. :) tks Steve

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
When you are used to Mec reloaders, it's hard to use other brands. And I'm not just saying this because I have something against them. It's just that you are so used to all the screw ups and how to fix them in a jiffy, that makes you want to go back to something that you are familiar with.

Go luck whichever one you end up with.

Hauxfan!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I sold my Grand when I bought a Spolar so I don't have it here to suggest adjustments. One thing with the primer feed is to cycle the machine several times before beginning to load to fill up the primer tube. Much more reliable than hoping a single primer will drop each time you pull the handle.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was recently considering a Grand so I did some reading, ran across this.

You can find this on sgw posted by Northern Skies if you dig. I copy/pasted

RCBSPrimer drops fix

1st I do subscribe to RCBS's advice to dump 8-10 primers into the tube when you fill the tray, that way if one doesn't drop you have a supply to fill in.

but here is my fix, at least on my Grand, when the shell plate holder (RCBS part #75) is fully up and the charge bar all the way to the left, the black lever (RCBS part #99 SS Primer Feed Bar) on the primer tray still has a good 3/16" of travel remaining which does not get actuated by the charge bar. - with the stage all the way up, you can grab the lever with your hand and move it left to see how much travel your press has.

this movement to the left of the black lever is what sets the primer into the pocket of the black lever to be carried to the drop tube. Full travel to the left is better from what I experienced.

The quick test fix is to rotate the entire primer tray counter clockwise about the drop tube. A gap will open up between the primer tray and the grey metal piece (RCBS part #24 SS Shut Off Plate Powder) that the powder hopper attaches to. tear off some flaps from a 1000 count primer box or other fairly thin non corrugated cardboard and using them as test shims bent at a right angle. Keep one side is vertical and slide between the primer tray and the gray metal top piece, the other side is horizontal and rests on top of the grey metal piece. A few experimental cycles of the press will show how much shim you need to get the black lever to fully travel to the left. Then you can get a permanent shim of same thickness from sheet metal.

I had trained myself to watch the black shark fin primer transfer bar each cycle, but since if have shimmed the primer tray like above, haven't had missed primer.

another small fix is to attach a small rubber band or a pen spring from RCBS part #43 SS Index Arm to the front right SS Support Rod. The spring force makes sure the Index arm returns to the upright position when the stage is up. If you have a manual press, you probably feel it if it's wrong, but I don't feel anything with the hydraulic just hear the crushing sound :-(

·
Registered
32,283 Posts
Make sure the primer transfer bar is not cracked or broken.

Make sure the primer transfer bar is moving unrestricted.

Disconnect the return spring and work the transfer bar back and forth to make sure it is not binding.

Check the spring to make sure it is not sprung or stretched.

I use graphite to lube the bar.

The press works best with a steady cycling of the handle and not a fast, jerky working of the handle.

I had a dickens of a time with mine until realized the primer station was out of adjustment. I bought the press second hand and the previous owner had “adjusted” it. I had to raise the assembly up then lower it, a quarter turn at a time, working the handle each time until it dropped the primer. If that plastic sleeve inside the upside down aluminum funnel is broken or deformed, that needs to be replaced.

I found the Grand is a great press, but I only load one shell brand on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problems Steve, but I understand your frustration. I bought my Grand used and it had many issues. The worst of it was the previous owner didn’t understand how the machine functions and bent, broke, and improperly adjusted everything.

Secondly, the manual didn’t clearly explain some of the problems I encountered and needs an update ( my manual is at least 15 years old).

Now, in your case, it sounds like an adjustment problem on the primer drop station. Yes, it can be fickle but it is stable once correctly set.

If your friend who recommended the Grand is available, get him to look at it. It likely is a quick fix.

On the upside, parts and support are free. Did you buy new or used? They are only a call away.

Also, remember, this machine was built for Federal shells and primers. This means other primers can sometimes fall sideways just before
dropping into the vertical tube as they are slightly shorter.

Good luck and stay well.

Bill Forester

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just give RCBS a call. I have had a couple of issues and they talked me through it on the phone. Great customer service and a great press in my opinion.
Dave

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Yes RCBS service is great. Whenever I needed parts for my Grand I sent them an email and they responded quickly with a note that the parts were on the way.

·
Registered
32,283 Posts
As mentioned above, their tech support is very good. If you go to their web site they have FAQ’s and videos in their “Support” section. Too bad they don’t have a “tech chat line.” There are some videos on YouTube, but mostly how they operate, not how to adjust.

Reactions: tuck1952

·
Banned
8,492 Posts
I bought my Grand used about 10 years now.Got it with the manual. Had a few issues that i workout on my own. Support is great and cant vomplain about the press.
I had issues with the prime drops also. But for the quick fix I did like others mentioned. I hand drop about 10 in the tube before starting. Usually that takes care of my loading seddion.

·
Premium Member
Brownings
729 Posts
I bought my Grand used about 10 years now.Got it with the manual. Had a few issues that i workout on my own. Support is great and cant vomplain about the press.
I had issues with the prime drops also. But for the quick fix I did like others mentioned. I hand drop about 10 in the tube before starting. Usually that takes care of my loading seddion.
Curiosity overwhelms.. Would you vomplain about anything?????

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sold my Grand when I bought a Spolar so I don't have it here to suggest adjustments. One thing with the primer feed is to cycle the machine several times before beginning to load to fill up the primer tube. Much more reliable than hoping a single primer will drop each time you pull the handle.
I'll give it a try thank-you

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Make sure the primer transfer bar is not cracked or broken.

Make sure the primer transfer bar is moving unrestricted.

Disconnect the return spring and work the transfer bar back and forth to make sure it is not binding.

Check the spring to make sure it is not sprung or stretched.

I use graphite to lube the bar.

The press works best with a steady cycling of the handle and not a fast, jerky working of the handle.

I had a dickens of a time with mine until realized the primer station was out of adjustment. I bought the press second hand and the previous owner had “adjusted” it. I had to raise the assembly up then lower it, a quarter turn at a time, working the handle each time until it dropped the primer. If that plastic sleeve inside the upside down aluminum funnel is broken or deformed, that needs to be replaced.

I found the Grand is a great press, but I only load one shell brand on it.
Thanks Rick, I've got a good friend who is close to a RCBS Grand expert, together he and I will go through your steps to see if we can get my Grand tuned up, Like you when I get this working I will only be loading 1 shell (7/8 oz #8, Red Dot, purple duster)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry to hear of your problems Steve, but I understand your frustration. I bought my Grand used and it had many issues. The worst of it was the previous owner didn’t understand how the machine functions and bent, broke, and improperly adjusted everything.

Secondly, the manual didn’t clearly explain some of the problems I encountered and needs an update ( my manual is at least 15 years old).

Now, in your case, it sounds like an adjustment problem on the primer drop station. Yes, it can be fickle but it is stable once correctly set.

If your friend who recommended the Grand is available, get him to look at it. It likely is a quick fix.

On the upside, parts and support are free. Did you buy new or used? They are only a call away.

Also, remember, this machine was built for Federal shells and primers. This means other primers can sometimes fall sideways just before
dropping into the vertical tube as they are slightly shorter.

Good luck and stay well.

Bill Forester
Tks bill, Great advice, My grand is used 1 previous owner.... turns out my friend who is a RCBS Grand wizard has reached out and offered to come by to help me get things tuned up. In the mean time I'll reach out to RCBS customer service to request a couple of parts that I know need to be replaced, atb Steve

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My RCBS Grand primer feeding issue is now fixed. Thanks to the expert assistance of Bill Hom my Grand won't be scrapped anytime soon:) . Bill solved the problem by #1 replacing a broken Primer transfer bar (part # 91) , after replacing the primer transfer bar he used Hornady One shot gun cleaner and lube on the transfer bar and the rail to enable the transfer bar to move smoothly #2 he replaced (part 93), the primer dispenser collet, turns out, mine had a broken finger and was frozen in the open position and did not move at all. With those parts replaced and adjusted properly I proceeded to load 100 rounds without a glitch. My sincere thanks to all who responded to this thread and a hero's thanks to Bill Hom....

·
Registered
32,283 Posts
The tip of the primer transfer arm is very thin and is probably the part that breaks the most on an RCBS. I always kept a spare on hand.
Same experience here. I found that the primer dispenser collet was exerting too much force on the transfer bar. I backed off the setting a lot, then lowered a quarter turn and pulled the handle to release a primer. If no primer, another 1/4 turn down. I did that a couple times until the primer dropped.

The transfer bar is delicate and sometimes the primer will turn on its side and does not seat in the hull. The next primer drop and hull in the primer seating station will break the tip. I try to faithfully watch the primer drop and it does not hurt to replace the transfer bar spring once in a while. My line of choice on the transfer bar is graphite.

Reactions: tuck1952
1 - 20 of 21 Posts