Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally do not use 700X. During the powder shortage it was the only powder I could find. The powder has adhered to the inside of my powder bottle on my Grand reloader. It is in there like concrete. Anyone else ever had this problem? If so how did you get it out of there?

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
You can't. Call RCBS and get a new powder tube. Some powders will destroy any of the clear plastic bottles. I believe only MEC bottles will hold up to powder etching. I have learned to drain the powder out of my powder tube if it is going to sit more than a week. I learned the hard way too. Bill

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow! Thanks for the info Bill. It seems like the big powder shortage is over for now. I've been able find most of the Alliant powders that I usually use. Strange on how that 700X etched itself into that plastic. I've left other powders in there for just as long and never had a problem like that. Another lesson learned.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The fellow that owns the RCBS Grand that I'm reloading on uses 700x. After each reloading session he empties the powder and brushes any flakes off the side so they fall down the hopper. I know he said it will definitely discolor the powder bottle. Interesting about it "setting up" hard.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my grand so I called RCBS and they told me to use a dryer sheet and lft that didn't work change powder (700X)I also shake the powder container before I pour it into the bottle.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Used 700X for many years until manufacturing troubles, never had that problem.When I couldn't get it any more I switched to Promo\Red Dot. No problems with either of them. May have something to do with raw material availability in Canada???? Or maybe Hodgens (sp) changed the formula??? Ross Puls

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
I have a 2000 and 2003 Grand (12g).
Never had a problem with Red or Green dot powders or E3. I leave powder in the bottle all the time. Since I've had the Grands the only parts i replace are shell fingers and springs, had to replace charge bar in one. ( wore out ). What i like is free part replacement. Nice once there set up.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Probably resurrecting an old thread, but I have had similar issues with Titegroup.
Sticks to the walls and etches the plastic. RCBS is sending me a new hopper tube.
This etching took less than a week left in the hopper. Wonder if being a ball powder contributes?
George

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I got my new hopper tube I placed a piece of paper inside the tube so the powder wouldn't stick to it . You can check the powder level in the tube by looking underneath the baffle since the paper won't go down that far . A little overboard to do this but Until they find what's going on I'm going to stick to this

·
Premium Member
5,419 Posts
I had the same thing happen with one of the "Tites" and one of the tubes from Jim Skeel's hoppers on my 366. It has to do with the material the tube is made of and Jim now uses tubes made of a different material that does not react with the powder. I can't recall what the old tube was made of or what the new tube is made of but he also has Pyrex tubes available. I'd contact him and see whether he has or can make something for the Grand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been using 700x since the seventies and it always has discolored the powder tubes on my reloads. I have a set of Jim Skeels 366 large capacity bottles and they are a great improvement but still discolored some. I now have the rock hard deposits inside the bottle and just ordered the new Pyrex one he offers. Never had a problem with green dot. I took the bottle off the loader and tried to polish it out with a cerium oxide and a felt polishing pad on cordless drill. Got some of it but not all. I say get the glass tube. I never dump the powder out of reloader unless I change powder type or bushings. My loading room is temperature controlled at 65-68 no I never worry about dampness. Here in my part of California we do not get much humidity. Political humidity but not weather related. I might be looking for a new place to live in a week.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Got my new tube today. Gonna try the plastic sheet protector idea. I think that will work well and is easily replaceable.
I'm keeping the current one for Titegroup, 700x etc.
Loaded a flat of shells this afternoon and emptied the Titegroup afterward. Easy with the grand, so an ounce of prevention.
George

·
Registered
74 Posts
After I read Nebs Report about A Pyrex bottle. I emailed Jim Skeel about and sounds like he's going to make a new bottle for RCBS Grand using the Pyrex bottle. He said No matter what powder you use it won't turn the reservoir or bottle black He said to contact him after about one month .

·
Registered
195 Posts
Good news. I use Titewad & it is hard on the stock bottle. Please keep us informed if you hear anything from Jim.

·
Registered
63 Posts
In reading all the responses about powder reactions on acrylic type tubes it impressed me that mec bottles of the modern era are the best.

My RCBS grand tube is completely pitted from WSH powder. If I got a replacement tube it would do the same damage so I tried to think of a less expensive fix than going to glass (admittedly well made).

As luck would have it, a mec shot bottle is the same diameter and fits perfectly onto the existing grand. I cut off the bottom of the bottle, cut off the threads, dropped in the baffle, mounted it , filled with powder, put on the RCBS lid.

Just that simple. $8.00

It also holds more powder and my powder drops are still 19.2 Ave.

Hope this is helpful. Bill

1 - 20 of 26 Posts