Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It saddens me greatly to let everyone know that Ray Strabavy, from Whiting, Indiana, passed away yesterday December 2nd. He will be sorely missed. Condolences to his family, friends, and trap shooters. Although he didn't post on this forum, I know that he touched the lives of many shooters that do post here.

I will miss him, miss shooting with him, working with him at Glen Park, listening to all his ideas on how we could improve the club and anticipating his questions when I gave my monthly trap report to our board of directors.

Amongst all the things he did for our club, he will be remembered for our Long Bird event every Saturday at Glen Park. It was his idea, and every Saturday for the past several years we held this event, using "Ray's rules".

Arrangements are not available at this time but I'll post as they become available. In memory of Ray, and so as not to conflict with possible arrangements, Glen Park trap range will not be open this Sunday Dec. 6th. All events for this day, including the Big 50 are cancelled.

Bill Radwan

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
I didn't know him but I am always impressed with the friendliness and enthusiasm at Glen Park. I try to shoot there whenever I travel south on the 65, and I'm always welcomed. if he was part of that, he was a good man.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I met Ray at the Police and Fire Games in Ohio in 2010. Hit it off right away. He had a brother in Minnesota he came to visit so he hauled 6 cases of Grain Belt(beer) , a regional favorite, out to New York in 2011 for the World Police and Fire Games for me since I would fly out from MN. After flight delays he picked me up at the airport at 3 am and hauled my but out to the campground next to the gun club. He enjoyed the Police and Fire games immensely and certainly was well known in those circles. Gone too soon my friend,
Joe Opitz

·
Registered
107 Posts
Services for Ray Strabavy are listed below! Ray will be greatky missed at all the Trapshoots!!
R.I.P. Ray Strabavy

Richard Marshall Jr.

Wake is Sunday Dec. 6th 2-8pm at Baran & Son Funeral Home 1235 119th St, Whiting, IN 46394 Baran Funeral Home | Whiting Indiana funeral home

Catholic Service Monday Dec. 7th 9:30am at St. John the Baptist Catholic Church 1849 Lincoln Ave, Whiting, IN 46394

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ray will be missed indeed. He was a great shooter and an even greater person. He always knew me a had a kind word for me. He will be missed by the Glen Park Club and the shooting community. Condolences to his family and all his many friends.
Scott R Nelson, Wheaton, IL

·
Registered
37 Posts
RIP Ray Strabavy. I will sincerely miss having him on the trap line and giving me "the eye" from time to time. This is one way I will always remember Ray. We were both coming off the line this past summer but we're on different squads. We were through our first 50 and he asks me if I got 'me all. I said no, I'm down one and we left it at that. We shoot our next 50 and I finish off with a 98. I'm feeling pretty good about that score and eventually go in and look at the board. Ray has put up a 99. I go back outside shaking my head. I see Ray and go "your killing me Ray". He gives me a sheepish look and "what?" with a sly smile. He goes to me... "I knew I couldn't miss another target after you told me you were down 1 in the first 50". FIERCE COMPETITOR!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I always enjoyed shooting on the same squad with Ray.When he missed one which wasnt to often,I would over his way and give him the ? look.He did it a lot more times to me.He will be missed by the Glen Park crowd for sure.What a nice person..

·
Registered
299 Posts
Fellow Trapshooters and Shotgunners, on behalf of my family and I, we cannot thank you all enough for the kind words that have been posted here. He loved the game, he loved the people he met, and he loved the competition. Boy, did he love competing. And he took this game very seriously, from the countless hours reloading (because factory loads NEVER matched up to his reloads, except if they were Federal Papers his oldest kid just happened to buy him!), to the twice-a-week trips to GPIW to practice, to competing in the World Police & Fire Games every other year, to his yearly trips to Tucson, Great Lakes Grand, Indiana State Shoot, Wisconsin State Shoot, and lastly, The Grand. He checked Vernal Rod & Gun Club off his bucket list last, and all the great people out there! He loved the guys from all the trap clubs he frequented, like previously mentioned GPIW and Fulton County Gun Club. You all have no idea how difficult it will be to look over at Post 2 from here on out, and not see him there.

Once again, Thank You all for being a special part of My Father's life...

Tom Strabavy

·
Registered
10,782 Posts
Tom, I'm so sorry that your dad and my friend has left us all way too soon. I always enjoyed our chats and shooting with him too. Ray was a fine man and I truly enjoyed shooting with him here in Tucson. May he rest in peace and my family's condolences to you and the entire family.

Gene Hapney

·
Registered
219 Posts
I got the pleasure to shoot this year with Ray on a team at the world Police and Fire Games, Not only did we loose a great friend a fellow trap shooter but also a brother in the fire service family. You will never be forgotten Ray RIP.
Dave Phillips

1 - 15 of 15 Posts