Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rap Music is undermining our Youth

4K views 73 replies 31 participants last post by  timb99 
#1 ·
The real problem is Rap music terms like Imus used are nothing compared to the vulgar words and ugly morals found in Rap music and vidios. The new acceptable terms for Black people is only they can call each other racial names but it is unacceptable and offensive from White people. The problem I have is 60% of Rap music is listened to by white youth and they are being subjected to foul language ghetto terms and low class morals. Sharpton and Jackson should start cleaning up in their own back yards first if they want to elevate the status of Black youth and Black people as a whole. I also think the money driven Music industry should be held accountable for the content within the music. I know this is impossible as the money is much more important than the moral issue and future of American youth both Black and White.

Buddy Walters
Fighting the Battle over Rap Music with two teenage Daughters

#2 ·
Buddy,

I'm 100% sure my parents lamented the fact that I listened to that evil rock & roll music when I was a teen, and I'm sure they wondered how it would affect my morals and ethics as I got older.

It didn't...kinda...mostly.

I too have a suburban caucasian teen age daughter who listens to what I refer to as that "c-rap" music. I regularly remind her to listen to what they're saying, and see if it doesn't offend her as much as it offends me. She usually replies "I just like to dance to it."

In my opinion, if you have any kind of relationship with your daughters at all, and if you talk to them and you show them by example what it means to be a responsible, moral, ethical citizen, that will hold a lot more water than the nonsense they hear on the radio.

I truly believe this.

Tim Bruggeman

Father of an honor roll student (and occasional trap shooter) who just happens to listen to Rap music too.

#3 ·
The RAP/Hiphop music of todays teens is what's in style now. Just as rock and roll was when most of us were that age. Aside from the "doubtful" lyrics I don't think there's a teenager today who could identify any rap/hiphop song by the melody alone.

Give your kids some credit for having the common sense to know the difference between what's the latest fad now in music and what will have the long term staying power. Guarenteed in 5 years from now none of them will remember any of the current "hot hits".

Eric

#5 ·
so much of this drivel (I refuse to call it music) is based abd extols a culture in which there is no respect for ones self, ones fellow man or anyones property or life for that matter....there may be some of it that preaches a different philosophy but it is a minority view...

#6 ·
I think the biggest influence on kids is the friends they have.

If their friends are bad your kid is likely to turn out bad.

I've listened to hard rock, and I've listened to rap. In my opinion, I have never heard the disgusting hateful things I've heard on rap albums on hard rock albums.

Tim, I have danced on stage for a paying audience twice. I am not kidding.

If your daughter needs to listen to rap music to dance to it, you may need to break it to her that she is not a very good dancer. Seriously.

Why not offer to pay for dance class -- ballet, modern, or jazz?

Moreover, even if she wants to just dance informally, the poor beats in rap are are easily bested by other styles of music. You pretty much have to be poorly coordinated with poor rhythm to enjoy dancing to rap music unless you want the song to match bending the girl over, or beding over if you're a girl, while the guy thrusts his pelvis into the girls bottom and does arse slapping motions with his hand.

House, hip house, drum and base, trance, trip hop, etc., all offer great music for young people to dance to (this is all current, cutting edge stuff by the way. If you bring it up with your daughter and your daughter doesn't know about it you won't look goofy, point out that she is the one who is uninformed (again, look at her friends) and that maybe she needs to visit iTunes (obviously going to raves and nightclubs would give first hand knowledge but then she could be exposed to illegal drugs, underage drinking, and sex with strangers (tough being a dad huh?) and try to hear more styles of music.

THERE IS NO REASON YOUR KID NEEDS TO LISTEN TO RAP BECAUSE THEY NEED IT TO DANCE. There are comparable alternatives musically, WITHOUT the terrible lyrics.

Would you let your son listen to recordings of Hitler's speeches with a pleasurable smile on his face just because he's studying the German language?

Of course, even in my forties I still get a kick from some lines in some songs, but they are clearly for adults only.

NWA (****** with attitude) and Easy E were always very funny. Here's a line about a neighbourhood ho, presumably nappy headed:

"You know she's good, nobody is better, but she's got more crabs than a seafood platter."

That's some funny stuff right there.

Good luck!

#7 ·
ljutic 73,

Sad to say that what you've written is true. OTOH you have to know that they specifically write those formula lyrics because it's what sells to the 10-35 age market. Business as usual I'm afraid.

Eric

#8 ·
Right... Rap music is what's destroying our youth. Not the lack of accountability, the lack of parental guidance and the lack of discipline that is so prevelant with many of the youngsters today. Nope, its definitely the rap music.

If you look at some of the backgrounds these rap artists grew up through, I bet you would change your attitude a little. The socio-economic issues that many of the black youth of today face is no joke. They live in the poorest cities, with the highest crime and the least amount of opportunities. Would do you expect them to sing about? Good Vibrations?

I like some rap and dislike others. I like how some of the music tells a story and I think there is definitely some real talent behind those lyrics.

Nope, its not the rap music undermining our youth, its the parents who let their kids listen to it at too early of an age and with no consequence. THAT is what is undermining our youth.

#9 ·
What parents?

The mother who works or the absent dad?

Most of the inner city black males learn lifestyle and ethics from their street corner pals. If you are strong you take, if you are weak you get a gun and become strong thereby.

NOw the curmudgeon litany:

When illegitimacy was a scandal, and unmarried cohabitation was a crime ( I remember a man going to jail for having a female roommate) and teen pregnancies were resolved by the girl visiting Aunt Lucy for a few months,

Now LISTEN.......

This stuff was non-existant.

The 2 great social experiments of the 60's - single parenting and acceptance of aberrant lifestyles, have brought their harvest.

HM

#11 ·
Music has its purposes!!!!

For perhaps 2,000 years on this very land mass,,(America) there was music being played unlike any ever heard before....

It was the beat of a drum!!!! or the piping of a flute!!!! One meant for love,,,the other for war!!!

For those that say "muscic" does not influence young suceptible minds,,,Your're wrong,,,dead wrong!!!

Where no music is played,,,drugs were used,,,Hashish,,Mushrooms,,Some you cannot pronounce,,,,they were meant for war!!!!

For those that like heavy metal,,,or as we used to call it Rock&Roll,,,the high-pitched whine of a Ted Nugent guiter solo was guareenteed to bring screams,,howls,,and shouts for more!!! The heavy beat of drum solo would do the same,,,and bring people to the edge of hysteria,,,I know this to be true,,,because I was there for many a show!!!! The energy level,,,the adrenaline level was hyped right to the edge,,,close enough so that "Mob Mentality" ruled!!!!!

Back to the native americans-------The sound of drums over a three day period make make a person completly insane,,,,But to an indian,,,it was his very heartbeat!!!! Again raising the level of energy,,adrenaline,,to the point of madness,,,,WAR MADNESS!!!! What they felt when going into a battle where touching a live opponant brought more in the way of honor than killing him,,is beyond description....

The beat of hip-hop or rap is geared to produce the same madness,,,,its vulgarm,,,crass,,,raunchy,,violent,,sexist,,and raw!!! Its meant to instill hatred towards another race,,or gender.......And it works!!!!!!!!!!

AKA Grammie...........

#12 ·
I thought it would be fun to send Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton an email telling them I am offended by the name calling the blacks do against the whites. It is done everyday on national television, radio and in the black music. Funny thing is I can't find an email address for either one of them. They both have web sites but can't find any contact information. If they are the voice of the blacks, how do the black masses let them know their feelings, telepathy?

#16 ·
Yeah, go ahead and explain it a little more clearly for me.

If what we read and listen to didn't influence people then we wouldn't talk to our kids or send them to school.

The biggest problem I have with rap music is that kids emulate the way they speak.

To form ideas in our heads, or at least to express them so that others understand and appreciate it, we all use words. If most of the words you know are similar to bitch, ho, gat, blow, various articulations of hatred etc., you are going to be limited in the kinds of thoughts you are able to come up with. If you don't think that is true you haven't been paying attention to real life.

If you think kids, I assume that includes you, or close to it, need to hear the story of degradation and violence in the ghetto, why hear it from a guy who sings as if he were dealing out the degradation and violence rather than being a victim of it? All that does is glamourize dishing out degradation and violence to those weaker than one's self.

Moreover, if these "stories" are worth being told, they should be told in a book, or documentary or, if rap is the only way the author can express these important "stories" than play them for kids once like a trip to a museum or reading a book.

But playing it over and over as a form of enjoyment?

Think about jews being led to the gas chamber, shot in ditches, and emaciated behind barbed wire. Think about blacks being hosed down or lynched on a back woods tree.

Those are all important stories that need to be told right?

Now what would someone think if their kid watched those images over and over and over, every single day for hours on end.

I hope they would think there was something wrong with their kid.

But you go ahead and educate me SShooterZ, I'm always willing to learn more.

#17 ·
If you READ what I posted, rather tongue in cheek, is that its not the rap music thats causing the issue.

Right... Rap music is what's destroying our youth. Not the lack of accountability, the lack of parental guidance and the lack of discipline that is so prevalent with many of the youngsters today. Nope, its definitely the rap music.

It is clearly on the shoulders of the parents. Rap music is genre of music. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not what undermines our youth. Its the lack of parenting that does. You're actually validating mine opinion with yours but your not seeing the forrest for the trees.

I'm not sure I can make it any clearer than what I previously posted:

Nope, its not the rap music undermining our youth, its the parents who let their kids listen to it at too early of an age and with no consequence. THAT is what is undermining our youth.

#20 ·
I think I got that the first time SShooterZ.

Think of this:
Heroin hurts kids.
Parent let's kid shoot up heroin.
Kid never shoots up heroin.
Has kid been harmed by heroin?

Or this:

Parent lets kid shoot up heroin.
Kid shoots heroin.
Kid dies from heroin overdose.
News says "the good news in this tragedy, is that heroin did not hurt the dead child."
Does this make sense?

I agree with you in that parents are part of the problem, but where we may differ is that I think rap actually hurts kids.

#23 ·
BMC, Run DMC released their first single in 1983.

Sugarhill Gang released the first commercially successful rap song in 1979.

Kurtis Blow had a Gold record rap single in 1980.

Even Blondie had a number one (on Billboard 100) rap song in 1981.

These artist started it all. However, Run DMC certainly remain greats for the genre.

Importantly, much earlier rap music actually did tell a story that was worth telling. For example, Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" (from 1982, also predating Run DMC). The lyrics of the day may have spoken of depravation, but did not, to my memory, glorify degredation of women and the weak.

#24 ·
No.

But my qualifications are as follows:

I was a child.

I often remain childish.

Every single one of my friends and associates were children.

Many of them listen to rap music and many of them do not.

Many of their kids listen to rap music and many of them do not.

I have personally heard the lyrics to many rap songs, both current, and from yesteryear.

Moreover, I have spent a lifetime actively studying what behaviour patterns and choices lead to success in life, and which lead to failure. Rap is usually, though not always, associated with failure for all but those who make money from its production.

I will concede that some people may listen to rap with ill effect. Similarly, I've known many people who have done hard drugs and it does not seem to have hurt their lives too much; though it may be a matter of degrees.

You pays your money and takes your chances. If you think the payoff is worth the risk vs. the available alternatives, good luck to you and your family beating the odds.

If you claim that I know nothing about growing up because I've only seen myself and those around me growing up rather than people I biologically created growing up, well then I'm going to have to call balderdash on that one.

#25 ·
I was wondering if anyone would mention GMF and the furius five or Sugar Hill Gang...lol. GMF was good, don't get me wrong, but I think RUN DMC stole their thunder at the point where rap was just getting started mainstream. I didn't listen to KB until about the same time. Funny thing is he is a DJ on a local radio station here. I forgot about Blondie, good catch. Those were the days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.