Trapshooters Forum banner

Rap Music is undermining our Youth

3038 Views 73 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  timb99
The real problem is Rap music terms like Imus used are nothing compared to the vulgar words and ugly morals found in Rap music and vidios. The new acceptable terms for Black people is only they can call each other racial names but it is unacceptable and offensive from White people. The problem I have is 60% of Rap music is listened to by white youth and they are being subjected to foul language ghetto terms and low class morals. Sharpton and Jackson should start cleaning up in their own back yards first if they want to elevate the status of Black youth and Black people as a whole. I also think the money driven Music industry should be held accountable for the content within the music. I know this is impossible as the money is much more important than the moral issue and future of American youth both Black and White.

Buddy Walters
Fighting the Battle over Rap Music with two teenage Daughters
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

· Registered
400 Posts
Luvinbearhugs and Rico, yes, I agree not all rap music is bad. BMC and I even talked about some of those and I specifically mentioned how some of it, mostly older, doesn't have what me and OhioBob would call "objectionable" lyrics.

No one here should be so confused to think I would object to so-called rap music with lyrics like "I luv da creek, da sun makes it shine, fishin in summer, and havin a good time."

This is about rap or, if anyone is confused, "gangsta rap." As I believe Rico can attest to, if his music collection is that large, there are plenty of recordings that sound I-freaking-dentical to rap music, just minus the "offensive" lyrics.

Nobody has to let their kids hear that trash just to dance. If they insist on hearing those words it is because they like them. They think they're cool, makes them feel grown up and rebellious, or whatever it is, but they can get that same beat elsewhere from other hip-hop artists.

And just so everyone knows, I am not a prude or a dork. I was a notorious club hound and womanizer and was very grateful that so many parents are very understanding and licentious with their daughters. Good girls were my favourites. Does anyone even watch the freaking news, read the paper, or pay attention to other folks' kids these days? How many parents start out with "I always knew Jenny was trouble and was going to wind up pregnant and drop out of college..." Horsepucky, they always start out sobbing "Jenny was always such a good kid, we had a great relationship, I don't know how this could have happened..."

Buying, listening to, and downright enjoying lyrics that denigrate women, treat them like sex objects, etc., is really not going to have an effect? Please, or, if we are going to be rappers: NP!

If you don't think people come to accept things when they hear them popularized and repeated over and over again as though they were normal, then you have just disproved the theories of propaganda, advertising, the logical fallacy of appeal to authority and, I'm sure, many others. Wow, shouldn't you win a Noble Prize or something?

I'm suddenly in a magical world where no one remembers dehumanizing the enemy in WWII through propaganda. People accept ideas when they are repeatedly told they are normal. I just heard Al Sharpton say rap music should be accepted because it is a normal part of black culture. I don't know who I feel worse for, black people who are kept down by this farce, or white people who help keep them down because they are too cowardly and lack the conviction to tell them that it is killing blacks and keeping them down and should be rejected.

As I tried to get at with some examples up above, if your boy or girl, not young adult, is listening to things that extol the virtues of beating down people who look the wrong way at you, and gang-banging a girl, then dude, you need to have a sit down with your kid and have a good long talk about what is wrong in their head.

If you saw your kid kicking a puppy would you just smile and say "awe, Billy's such a rascal"??? No freaking way, right? Then why the heck wouldn't you figure out what's wrong with them when they spend YOUR money to enjoy hearing people laugh and sing about doing that sort of thing to innocent people!!!!????

And Tim says I have no clue about this because I don't have kids? Well that's just INSANE.

In recent years there has been this fantasy pushed by so-called liberals that kids are born little angels. WRONG. We are born amoral animals and will remain so unless children are inculcated with standards of proper behaviour.

Didn't anyone read William Golding's "Lord of the Flies." It used to be required reading. Now we've got half the country ready to get a prayer rug and convert to Islam because "they really must be nice people who will certainly stop vowing under G_d to kill or convert us all -- if only they knew how much we love them."

I'm really having an Orwellian "Ministry of Truth" moment and it is truly a relief that at least some of you are still sane.

By the way, wifey and I are both educated up the ying yang, make about 1/2M a year, have no abortions, failed marriages, or illegitimate kids (I fully realize half of this country no longer sees these things as vices) and were brought up as I advocate so I'm sticking with a proven strategy. Those who are interested can experiment with "growing with the times" to your heart's content.

With that, I'm going to do my best to resist the urge to reopen this thread. As they always have, and always will, people will do what they will, and I certainly wish everyone the best and, honestly, hope that I am wrong.

· Registered
9,982 Posts
YO YO YO my trapshootin' ho's n homeys....The really funny part is that the black culture poopoos music by Will Smith as goody twoshoes and not serious because he refuses to degrade, spout obsenities and glamorize gangsterism...goes to show how true it is..you cant spell CRAP without RAP....PEACE!!

· Registered
824 Posts
In the movie the Last Boy Scout the bad guy says to Bruce Willis I want to hear you scream. Willis answers "play some rap music". That about sums up my opinion of this crap.

· Registered
721 Posts
BigAl,

It does take a village, but the village no longer exists. As a single mom I could not have made it without the help of my aunts and my parents. And my daughter had me and my mom in addition to my son in law when she had my granddaughter. We can't always be guaranteed two parents and it is very difficult to raise a child alone.

Just my two cents. YMMV

· Registered
402 Posts
Gordon,

Nice picture, I seem to remember reading someting in the local paper about how George Straight was busted locally with marijuana and as part of his plea bargan he had to give a free concert in Kingsville, Texas once a year for 5 years.

Real role model. It all goes bach to being selective.

You don't like rap & I hate country. Like it or not rap is a style of music, maybe not your style but still a style.

· Registered
322 Posts
Since when did anyone here get values taught to them by any musician?

My PARENTS and my family taught me my values. I listen to rap, country, rock, you name it! You know what it is to me? Entertainment.

When I have a question or concern about real life issue or questions, I speak to my wife and my parents and maybe even some close friends. I don't throw some music in the radio and decide to live my life based on what some artist is singing about.

Whats funny, is that all the shooters here fight to the death anyone that says guns kill people, but, so many of you are guilty of the same logic when you claim rap music ruins our youth. Same logical argument. Its almost comical.

· Registered
17,357 Posts
Denny, "certain culture"? This can not be the case! All our liberal puke know it alls will be happy to tell you that everyone has the same intelligence, morals, integrity, and social responsibility. Jimmy the Greek was wrong, everyone has the same athletic ability too.

Hilary will tell you about the "vast right wing conspiracy". And maybe in Ebonics, too. That's where we should lay the problem. Certainly not neglect and permissiveness.

The social and ethnic backgrounds of the Charleston, Turkey Trot, R & R, etc had to be the same, right?

Yeah, right.

HM

· Registered
136 Posts
Rap music might influence the thoughts of someone who listened.... preposterous....Yeah...right,.. that could NEVER happen.

The following is an exerpt from Vincent Bugliosi's book "Helter Skelter".....

"Manson believed that the Beatles spoke to him through their lyrics, especially those included in the White Album, released in December 1968. Several songs from the White Album crystalized Manson's thinking about a coming revolt by blacks against the white Establishment. He interpreted many of the songs idiosyncratically, believing, for example, that "Rocky Raccoon" meant black people and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" was a song about getting firearms to carry on the revolution rather than--more obviously--a song about sex."

"The White Album played a key role in forging Manson's warped ideology. According to Family member Paul Watkins, "Before Helter Skelter came along, all Charlie cared about was orgies."

It took an unstable and warped mind like Manson to interpret the Beatles songs as a message to commit the murders. The scary part is that he actually persuaded others to do his work for him.

Manson not enough for you? How about John Hinckley Jr.?

John dropped out of college and flew to California to pursue his dream of becoming a songwriter. Living in an apartment in Hollywood, John saw the movie "Taxi Driver" fifteen times that summer, writing his parents about a make-believe girlfriend named Lynn Collins modeled on one of the movie’s main characters

Many believe that Hinckley’s attempted assassination of Reagan was based on this movie, the story of an American psychopath who stalks a political candidate

According to the letter Hinckley wrote just hours before the shooting, the attempted assassination was an effort to impress Hollywood actress Jodie Foster. Hinckley's obsession began after he saw Foster star in a 1976 flick entitled "Taxi Driver"; she played a teenage prostitute named Iris.

Even under the scrutiny and counseling of a professional psychiatrist, the influence of a Hollywood film on an emotionally unstable John Hinckley failed to be identified.

How can anyone be so sure that Rap, with it's direct and unqualified references to criminal behavior will not affect impressionable minds.

· Registered
721 Posts
You are considering Charlie Manson and John Hinckley to be impressionable minds? We're not talking about deranged psychopaths, we're discussing our children. As parents, it's our responsibility and duty to know what is going on in their lives and help mold the people they become. Kids can be influenced by outside forces if we as parents do not pay attention to the kids and the changes that happen. It doesn't mean you can shelter them from ALL outside influences, it means you need to teach them how to handle those influences. Sure, my kids were followers of a less than wonderful crowd at times in their lives but I was right there to guide them back each time.

Charlie Manson was a product of the juvenile detention parenting system having been abandoned as a child and having mental issues since he was a teen. What is scarey is the influence he had on his followers, people at the Spawn Ranch.

· Registered
769 Posts
Impressionable minds will be impressionable, regardless of what you or I think, say or do. Do you know what is on your kid's Ipod? If you think you do, think again. Do you know what your kid listens to at their friends house? Music is what music is, a source of bringing out a sense of freedom and a sense of acceptance. A certain type of music won't turn youth in irrational zombies of worthlessness. If the child is predispositioned to be a total piece of @$#% then it is what it will be, regardless of what he or she listens too.
The backmasking codes and "satanic" comments sought and often found on records of the 70s and 80s from rock groups were often considered the work of the devil, the calling out of evil. Yah, that went over pretty well.
Sounds minds will be sounds minds. What if this nutjob that just went on a killing spree in VA was determined to have gotten his deadly inspiration from some country song? Would country now become a the source of evil and contempt in today's youth? People place blame where they think it is most visible when in reality it is the underlying layers where the truth and cause can be found. Music is music. How many young people today do you think revere the number 666 as compared to 20-30 years ago when it was stigma of hard core rock and roll?
Rap is what rap is, just like rock is what rock is and country is what country is. People have a tendency to judge something for face value, what they see and in comparison to what they believe. What we believe isn't always the way it should be.

· Registered
1,042 Posts
Gee...and when I was growing up it was the "satanic" music that was the downfall of children.

Of course...listening to Marilyn Manson and Ozzy Osbourne may make some want to commit suicide...but I call that Darwin's Law.

Funny...after all those years of "satanic" music...I never once felt the need for blood sacrifice, have never been in trouble in my adult life, and am a fairly productive individual.

guess I was fortunate to have parents who instilled in me true "family values" that survived those years of "satanic" brainwashing.

· Registered
359 Posts
I'm going to Quote #20, "bull$hit"!!! The trouble with the youth of today is that they were never taught that they had to be responcable for thier actions. That there will be a reaction to thier action. Kids learn thier values and develop thier charactor from what they learn at home. Be kind to your kids, teach them what the real world is like, that they have to earn respect and trust, it is not thier right to expect everything be handed to them, they have to earn it, that not every thing is fair, that not every one is equal, that there are bad people out there, black,white and brown. It is a hard world for kids to grow up in and I thank God I am a baby boomer and not a kid in todays world.
Befor you ask, yes I am a parent, raised 5 of them, 3 collage grads, one union carpenter, and one that has yet to find her nitch in life. They all thought I was to strict when they were in my house. Every one of them has since thanked my for thier up bringing. It's called tough love, and it works!
Colby

· Registered
25,339 Posts
You guys are misspelling it. It's "crap" music.<br>
<br>
Anyone who thinks these lyrics are no big deal, needs to stop and realize that this music aided and abetted the drive by shootings that helped erode our Second Amendment rights.<br>
<br>
Bodycount by Ice-T<br>
<br>
I got my black shirt on<br>
I got my black gloves on<br>
I got my ski mask on<br>
This ####'s been too long<br>
I got my twelve gauge sawed off<br>
I got my headlights turned off<br>
I'm bout to bust some shots off<br>
I'm bout to dust some cops off!<br>
COP KILLER, it's better you than me<br>
COP KILLER, #### police brutality<br>
COP KILLER, I know your family's grieving (#### EM)<br>
COP KILLER, but tonight we get even<br>
I got my brain on hype<br>
Tonight'll be your night<br>
I got this long-###ed knife<br>
And your neck looks just right<br>
My adrenaline's pumpin<br>
Got my stereo bumpin<br>
I'm bout to kill me somethin<br>
A pig stopped me for nuthin!<br>
COP KILLER, it's better you than me<br>
COP KILLER, #### police brutality<br>
COP KILLER, I know your family's grieving (#### EM)<br>
COP KILLER, but tonight we get even<br>
COP KILLER, better you than me.<br>
COP KILLER, #### police brutality!<br>
COP KILLER, I know your momma's grieving, (#### HER!)<br>
COP KILLER, but tonight we get even, yeah!<br>
DIE, DIE, DIE PIG, DIE!<br>
<br>
And the lyrics degrade from there.

· Registered
28 Posts
You may be right old one eye...Just look back at the rock and roll, motown, bluegrass, country, some of the people who listen to those turned out to be trapshooters and second amendment nuts... yep we need to ban the music and first amendment to save the world so the minority can have the outdated second amendment right.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.