Trapshooters Forum banner

Rap Music is undermining our Youth

3038 Views 73 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  timb99
The real problem is Rap music terms like Imus used are nothing compared to the vulgar words and ugly morals found in Rap music and vidios. The new acceptable terms for Black people is only they can call each other racial names but it is unacceptable and offensive from White people. The problem I have is 60% of Rap music is listened to by white youth and they are being subjected to foul language ghetto terms and low class morals. Sharpton and Jackson should start cleaning up in their own back yards first if they want to elevate the status of Black youth and Black people as a whole. I also think the money driven Music industry should be held accountable for the content within the music. I know this is impossible as the money is much more important than the moral issue and future of American youth both Black and White.

Buddy Walters
Fighting the Battle over Rap Music with two teenage Daughters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Premium Member
12,792 Posts
Buddy,

I'm 100% sure my parents lamented the fact that I listened to that evil rock & roll music when I was a teen, and I'm sure they wondered how it would affect my morals and ethics as I got older.

It didn't...kinda...mostly.

I too have a suburban caucasian teen age daughter who listens to what I refer to as that "c-rap" music. I regularly remind her to listen to what they're saying, and see if it doesn't offend her as much as it offends me. She usually replies "I just like to dance to it."

In my opinion, if you have any kind of relationship with your daughters at all, and if you talk to them and you show them by example what it means to be a responsible, moral, ethical citizen, that will hold a lot more water than the nonsense they hear on the radio.

I truly believe this.

Tim Bruggeman

Father of an honor roll student (and occasional trap shooter) who just happens to listen to Rap music too.

· Premium Member
12,792 Posts
southpark,

Do you have children?

· Premium Member
12,792 Posts
Southpark,

Just trying to establish credibility. I think I know now.

I think I'll accept that my high school senior daughter who is in National Honor Society, on the honor roll for the last I don't know how many semesters, and had a 4.4 grade point average last quarter (no, that's not a typo) while taking Advance Placement American Government and Honors English classes (both for college credit) Calculus and 4th year Honors Latin....is turning out OK, despite her proclivity to listen to rap. Listening to a thing does not mean necessarily that you will emulate that thing.

BTW, she's been on her high school drill and dance team for 4 years, and we have a special little place for all her dancing awards, so I guess you could say she can dance a little.

She listens to alternative music, country, pop, celtic music, rock & roll, in addition to rap. She really likes Eric Clapton.

And you do know nothing. Being a child is a far different thing from raising a child. Get back to me when the children you don't even have yet have experienced their 17th birthday.

She's probably a better trap shooter than you too.

Tim

· Premium Member
12,792 Posts
In my opinion, if you have any kind of relationship with your kid at all, and if you talk to them and you show them by example what it means to be a responsible, moral, ethical citizen, that will hold a lot more water than the nonsense they hear on the radio.

My daughter, who likes rap music as much as I hate it, is now a freshman at Kansas State. She's a pretty smart kid. Just happens to listen to music I don't like (did your parents like YOUR music?)

Rachel Hopkins weighed in in a post above. Go look at her acheivements (outside of trap shooting.) I hear she's a pretty good student, in her high school band, AND won the Missouri State Handicap.

Strong family influence overcomes bad music influence.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.