Trapshooters Forum banner

Rap Music is undermining our Youth

3045 Views 73 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  timb99
The real problem is Rap music terms like Imus used are nothing compared to the vulgar words and ugly morals found in Rap music and vidios. The new acceptable terms for Black people is only they can call each other racial names but it is unacceptable and offensive from White people. The problem I have is 60% of Rap music is listened to by white youth and they are being subjected to foul language ghetto terms and low class morals. Sharpton and Jackson should start cleaning up in their own back yards first if they want to elevate the status of Black youth and Black people as a whole. I also think the money driven Music industry should be held accountable for the content within the music. I know this is impossible as the money is much more important than the moral issue and future of American youth both Black and White.

Buddy Walters
Fighting the Battle over Rap Music with two teenage Daughters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
769 Posts
I was wondering if anyone would mention GMF and the furius five or Sugar Hill Gang...lol. GMF was good, don't get me wrong, but I think RUN DMC stole their thunder at the point where rap was just getting started mainstream. I didn't listen to KB until about the same time. Funny thing is he is a DJ on a local radio station here. I forgot about Blondie, good catch. Those were the days.

· Registered
769 Posts
SouthPark, we are probably a similar age. I'm 40 and my 14 and 16 year old grew up listening to pretty much whatever I was listening to which ranged from Metallica to Dr. Dre. There was a time when they were younger they didn't care for rap but when they became fixated with MTV, that all changed. That is primarily why I believe the culprit of altering the perceived persona of our youth isn't so much the music as it is the medium in which they are served it. Do away with MTV, VH1 and BET and I bet you we wouldn't be having this discussion.

· Registered
769 Posts
Dang Rico, I haven't listen to Heavy D in a long time. Man that dude was good. Remember Redhead Kingpin? They were pretty clean lyrically. Both were good dance music in the house dancing days. I have a great complilation CD a friend burned for me that has a bunch of the "classics" including Nucleus, LA Dream Team, LL in his early days and even some Hammer...lol.

· Registered
769 Posts
Impressionable minds will be impressionable, regardless of what you or I think, say or do. Do you know what is on your kid's Ipod? If you think you do, think again. Do you know what your kid listens to at their friends house? Music is what music is, a source of bringing out a sense of freedom and a sense of acceptance. A certain type of music won't turn youth in irrational zombies of worthlessness. If the child is predispositioned to be a total piece of @$#% then it is what it will be, regardless of what he or she listens too.
The backmasking codes and "satanic" comments sought and often found on records of the 70s and 80s from rock groups were often considered the work of the devil, the calling out of evil. Yah, that went over pretty well.
Sounds minds will be sounds minds. What if this nutjob that just went on a killing spree in VA was determined to have gotten his deadly inspiration from some country song? Would country now become a the source of evil and contempt in today's youth? People place blame where they think it is most visible when in reality it is the underlying layers where the truth and cause can be found. Music is music. How many young people today do you think revere the number 666 as compared to 20-30 years ago when it was stigma of hard core rock and roll?
Rap is what rap is, just like rock is what rock is and country is what country is. People have a tendency to judge something for face value, what they see and in comparison to what they believe. What we believe isn't always the way it should be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.