Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking for a way to make it safe for those who are loading the throwers.
We currently have a bulb mounted to the front of the Trap House - but in daylight - It just does not get attention.
I tried a low wattage strobe bulb. Same result.
The house is wired for 110 and the switch is just outside the clubhouse door.

Looking for recommendations on what to mount for safety.

If we have to change out fixtures we will.
Thanks

· Registered
2,527 Posts
We use a large Orange traffic cone and set it on top of the house when a cease fire is required. NO loaded guns on the line when the cone is up on top of the house! When we do regular shoots, the scorer ends shooting after 3 rounds and 2 or 3 go to load the house. If we keep someone in the house, during a shoot, the scorer will stop the line after is is complete and go down to get loader out. Works good.

· Registered
617 Posts
We are looking for a way to make it safe for those who are loading the throwers.
We currently have a bulb mounted to the front of the Trap House - but in daylight - It just does not get attention.

Thanks
Strobe light ?

· Registered
172 Posts
We use a blaze orange wind sock mounted to a pole when shooting on a house is not allowed. They are very effective in MN because of the wind that keeps it in motion and the vivid color. They do have to be replaced every season due to the wear from the wind and sunshine.

· Premium Member
794 Posts
We have one of those orange flags like you would put on a bike on a fiberglass pole attached to the side of the trap house. When your done loading the house you bend it back down and clip it to the house. Works well for us.

· Registered
3,049 Posts
Loaders should be taught and reminded that if they need to come out of house when people are still shooting to first wave the cone or flag before emerging.

I had a scary moment when the loader hurt his hand and just popped up out of the house. I was about to call for my target when is head appeared below my barrel.

Jason

· Registered
Krieghoff K-80s
3,302 Posts
Blaze orange cones with wooden bases I built to keep the wind from blowing them off the roof.

The more important thing here is to ensure these people have all been trained adequately to even be around a trap machine.

Be careful.
Jon Reitz

· Registered
2,383 Posts

Thanks
You must be an engineer.

A simple flag or cone has been used for a hundred years.

· Registered
2,967 Posts
Have a flag or sign that rotates up. Make it so it covers the entrance and someone cannot crawl into or out of the house without moving it.
Ya, know this is probably the BEST idea. The more I think about it, many times I’ve gone out to the trap house and realized that the cone is all the way in the back... on the floor... behind the machine. Displaying the range closed marker should be the first thing to happen, probably even before hitting the release switch.

· Registered
2,527 Posts
We made a video demonstration of the proper way to enter & exit the houses and load the machines. We also give the loaders some detailed written instructions.
Joe's videos are a MUST WATCH for new help training.
I would also tell loaders that need to come out of the house for an emergency during shooting, to just reach up and turn the pump and machine OFF, someone will come down shortly!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.