Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda off topic for Trap, but...

I was invited, along with a number of other people, for a fun day of shooting at a local range, not the one I usually frequent.

I arrived after some other folks who were downrange setting up targets. I carried my rifle (cased, chamber flag in place) from my car to an area near the shooting benches to put in the rack.

Some people were extremely upset and said I was "handling a gun while people are downrange". I guess they were right, but I wasn't even thinking that I was "handling a gun".

I've been shooting for over 50 years and it was hard to accept that people considered me unsafe.

I'm thinking that they over reacted and maybe I am as well, by writing this.

Comments???

cap

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Normally carrying a cased gun is not considered handling. If you removed it from the case that is another matter entirely and is normally a violation. All that being said each range will have their own rules. I have often seen hunters come to a trap range and load multiple shells in their gun and be confronted with hostility when they thought they were perfectly safe. All of us need to remember that a civil and polite explanation of the rules is the best way to obtain compliance.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Make a note NOT to go back!

·
Registered
14,903 Posts
Cap, think I would have asked them how they knew there was a gun in the case. Probably a bunch of ole geezers that wanted to fuss about something, and you just happened along.

GneJ

·
Registered
534 Posts
Most rifle ranges have similar rules about anyone handling a gun with people down range. You could have set the case down and waited for the all clear. Would you want anyone fooling with their gun behind you? Just added safety.

·
Registered
12,457 Posts
"I carried my rifle (cased, chamber flag in place) from my car to an area near the shooting benches to put in the rack."

Wasn't a AR was it???

Some people and even "shooters" get upset when they see a AR.

Run of thumb would be to leave it in the case until everyone was back.

Just saying.

·
Registered
452 Posts
You will get talked to everytime at our range for doing this. An accident is just that and can happen to anyone even with 50 years of marksmanship. Dont take offence to being corrected at someone elses range but be happy they"re watching out for everyones safety. beni

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All of the other shooters were USPSA and think they are a little better at *every thing" than anyone else.

I was halfway between my car and the firing line when I was "corrected", and not very nicely either.

I just won't go back, end of story.

cap

·
Registered
6,230 Posts
There's probably another side to this story. In any case it's not being "overly picky." Like it or not, the shooting sports we love so much are polluted with hillbillies and dimwits who have zero knowledge of gun safety and no awareness of their own ignorance or how dangerous it it. We don't need any more accidents to hurt anyone or feed the anti-gunners' agenda.

When I take youngsters shooting, I drive more than an hour to an outdoor range which is militantly policed for irrsponsible gun handling. There's a yellow line behind the shooting benches and nobody goes down range until all guns are laid down with actions open and everyone is behind that line. If you get caught across the line you get one stern warning. Next time you are told to pack your sh!t and git. That's the way it should be. I got yelled at once for crossing the line to harmlessly grab a roll of tape. I didn't cry about it because I think I'm special, I just remembered the tape next time. They don't know me from Adam, and I deserve no exemption from the rules.

-Gary

·
Registered
850 Posts
I violated a standard rule ( gun closed between car and field. Not thinking ) and was told to open gun in rather gruff manner. I was embarrassed having forgot to open gun, as I have been shooting the sport for over 15 years, and apologized for the violation. I would have been a bit more diplomatic in pointing out this violation but it made me realized none of us are immune to unsafe acts regardless of years of experience.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The wussification of America has reached even this small corner of society.
The "safety" queens have nagged us all to the point of no return.

EdH

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
I shoot USPSA. Every range where I shoot is a "cold" range. That means you are only allowed to "handle your firearm" at a designated safe area. I.e. Safe Table - or under the direct supervision of the safety officer.

There may be some confusion re: this rule when it comes to Long guns.

Regardless, there are no "accidents" only preventable improper gun discharges.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Capvan:
Were you going to put it in the rack while it was still in the case? Or, did you remove it from the case while folks were down range? That might be the issue.....
Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Father always said, "it isn't what you say, it is how you say it." You can verbally police safety at the range without talking to people like they are dirt.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ten + years ago I was shooting at the range and the trapper had to go to the house to check the machine. My O/U was open, but a shell in the chamber. The owner of the business I worked for told me to take it out, in a polite way, but I still felt rather small. I don't believe it was unsafe but it is a reminder to be conscious of the condition of your gun, and a simple extra measure of safety. Haven't done it again since.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
It depends on the rules of the range/club you were at. While people are down range, most rifle/pistol ranges will not allow handling of uncased firearms, anywhere, nor will they allow you to move guns to or from the line, either cased or uncased. You might be able to set cased firearms behind the line under those conditions, but that's usually about it.

So if you were taking the gun out of the case to put it in the rack, you probably erred. The easy rule to remember, is that cased firearms are generally allowed anywhere _behind_ the firing line, at any time (meaning you can't be wrong at any time if you're behind the firing line with a cased gun). Just be sure of what each club's rules are.

When you think about it, Trap, Skeet, and Sporting Clays must really freak the USPSA people out, if they ever see it. All those people with their hands on guns behind the firing line? We've done it for generations with no ill effects. On the other hand, I got a loaded, round-chambered pistol pointed at me by a Grand Master at the very first action shoot I attended many years ago, and that was a "Cold Range" with a safety table and the whole works (he had a dud round while shooting a stage, and broke the 180-degree plane and pointed it right down the pipe at me while clearing the gun...and of course, when I pointed it out to the Range Officer, he "didn't see it," and the shooter himself argued with me. So you are not the only person who ever got their pride hurt!)

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over one incident. You said your gun was cased and "near the shooting benches," so it's hard for me to tell, but it's possible you could have been in the right. Make sure you know the rules really well, so you're in a position to speak with merit if it ever comes up again. If your case was open or you were on the firing line, chalk it up to experience, make a mental note and don't worry about it. I would not write the place off over one instance such as this.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts