Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
There are names and nicknames I recognize on both sites. I will read them since I have found the authors to post some very interesting things. It does not mean I agree or disagree only that I find interest and often I find bits of information that are useful...... Randy falls into that category. I either remember or discard the offerings......... Larry

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Randy tells it like it is. He pulls no punches. Tron doesn't like him because Randy does not care for Beretta autoloaders. You may not like what he says but he generally has facts to back up his statements.

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
If Randy is wrong, and is proven to be wrong, even on topics he has extremely little or no actual first hand experience with, he'll just beat you over the head with his bloviation until you lose interest and give up.

·
Administrator
8,523 Posts
I always felt that forums were to provide and trade information, have decent discussion and keep in touch with other shooters from around the country. To just relentlessly beat people over the head with your point of view in hopes that the step into line is not the best approach. Geez.....whats wrong with Beretta autoloaders?

·
Registered
13,619 Posts
Exactly. Randy is never wrong, even when proven so.
A classic example was a discussion on SGW a few months ago about LH shooters using RH autos.

I and a number of others expressed our concerns about the possibility of getting gassed in the face, burn marks in your shooting glasses, particles and gas in your eyes, ect. Yes, I'm fully aware that these issues are far from common, and do not effect everyone, but they can and do happen, esp for target shooters (which Randy isn't even close to being, although he'll tell you he's an expert on that as well) who fire thousands of rounds a year.

Randy was on the scene to tell all of us we were wrong, and in fact even made a video specifically for the conversation where he proceeded to shoot a RH auto left handed 2 or 3 times (most likely the first time in his life that he'd ever done so) and proceed to claim we were all wrong (to ridiculous effect referencing "melting glasses" and "hair on fire") and firing an auto wrong-handed is just fine. He even managed to shill for the Fabarm in the video in the process LOL He's even still arguing his point against commenters on the youtube video who have had experiences contradicting his claims.

For your barfing pleasure:

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Reactions: fvtrkyhntr

·
Registered
6,058 Posts
I don't have a lot of time for him either. Back when the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader came out, he and I each had one to review. He made a video of him shooting the first three rounds out of the rifle and they went into a neat cloverleaf right near the target's center. I never asked him how he managed to boresight his scope that precisely (Were they really the first three shots out of the rifle?) because I had another more pressing concern.

My rifle would shoot groups like his but only on occasion. I could shoot a nice three-shot group, allow the barrel to cool and repeat the group only to see it be a three-incher. Believing his rifle really was that accurate, I asked him for some advice only to be told that I had to use Blackhorn 209 powder and a certain brand of bullets he recommended or I was wasting my time and his. When I told him the brand of the most accurate bullet in my rifle, Powerbelt, he called me everything but a liar and said those bullets are junk and can't shoot with accuracy. When I pressed him about the consistency of his rifle's accuracy, he skirted the question by launching into one of his condescending tirades.

I would up getting a second rifle from Remington that shot no differently than the first in spite of shooting them with two different Leupold scopes. I spent $486 on propellants and bullets with no combination of loose powder, pellets or 11 brands of bullets yielding consistent accuracy from either one. Along the way, I found that Alliant's BlackMZ propellant really shot well in the three muzzleloaders in which I tried it when it came out and it was the most accurate in the Remingtons. Since it wasn't his favorite powder, he spent another several paragraphs degrading my black powder knowledge. At that point, I washed my hands of him.

Funny thing - my T/C Encore Pro Hunter shoots nice tight groups every time with Federal's 270-grain Trophy Copper bullets or 295-grain Powerbelts over 90 grains of BlackMZ. No need to spend $38 for 10 or 12 ounces of Blackhorn 209 (it comes in less than a pound quantities) and then use smelly smokeless powder solvents to clean your muzzzleloader.

Ed

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
In the world of the knuckle-walking, guttersnipes many posts, threads, published articles and word of mouth place information in front of us.... we recognize names and nick names of those that are supposed to be authorities on various topics. I read them, digest them, combine them with things I already know or have tried and then make an evaluation. Where things go awry is when the discussion moves from the information to degradation of whomever posted the information. I could care less about the personal evaluations but often find the "technical" discussions of value....... Now I need to put some more tape on my knuckles..... the gravel on the walk to the firing line is hard on them............ Larry

1 - 20 of 64 Posts