Trapshooters Forum banner

Ran my first straight

2369 Views 27 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  pduthely
I’ve been shooting clay sports for about 3years now but mostly a skeet shooter. During this time, I’ve shot maybe 10games of trap during this time as my focus has been mainly on skeet. I have an adj high rib kolar with 30” 12ga bbl and matched carrier bbl.

Today, a friend invited me out to his club which is trap and 5stand only. I shot 3 rounds of trap and ran my first 25 on the last round.

Now I’m perusing various forums looking for trap bbls.......
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Premium Member
8,029 Posts
I’ve been shooting clay sports for about 3years now but mostly a skeet shooter. During this time, I’ve shot maybe 10games of trap during this time as my focus has been mainly on skeet. I have an adj high rib kolar with 30” 12ga bbl and matched carrier bbl.

Today, a friend invited me out to his club which is trap and 5stand only. I shot 3 rounds of trap and ran my first 25 on the last round.

Congratulations
Steve

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts

Wtg. You know the next goal, right?

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I’ve been watching videos on YouTube on trap technique. Trap feels like a L7 in skeet except in moves left/right on you.

Ironically enough, on the first two rounds, my missed shots were the “gimmes” that going straight out. I think I didn’t have enough float on them so shot right underneath.

· Sponsors a Reloaders for Youth Program
13,003 Posts
Thanks guys! I’ve been watching videos on YouTube on trap technique. Trap feels like a L7 in skeet except in moves left/right on you.

Ironically enough, on the first two rounds, my missed shots were the “gimmes” that going straight out. I think I didn’t have enough float on them so shot right underneath.
Yeah, wait for your gun to go through the target you are looking at, regardless of angle. (good reminder as I prepare to leave for the club)

· Registered
SKB 85TSS; Beretta 694
59 Posts

The “gimmies”! HA! The gimmies are the ones that always get me 😂. I’m to the point where I don’t think there are gimmies anymore. Congrats on the 25!

· Premium Member
Browning Bt-100 34" & 325 32" O/U cut/fitted for Trap Doubles
71 Posts
Next goals:

1. Do it again.
2. Do it twice on the same day.
3. Do it twice in a row.

I just started shooting again after a nearly 2 year break, so I'm with you on this.
Literally shot my first registered targets yesterday since 2013 (so happy to be now retired). The fine folks at Spartanburg GC in Pacolet SC hosted a catch up marathon of 300 16's. My scores were ok 93/93/94 but the best part was I managed to run the third round in the last event which gives me hope to be able to return to my early 2000's form, felt better than expected and only doing it do you realize how much you missed it. Safe Travels and Good luck to all for the Grand.

· Registered
61 Posts

Awful easy to lift that head up on those straight away rising shots...

· Registered
86 Posts

Congrats on your first 25.
Why are you looking for trap bbls? Your adj. high rib Kolar is in fact designed for trap. Pattern it and adjust to at least 60/40 pattern.
Try also 70/30 and see which one works best for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
86 Posts
I think I didn’t have enough float on them so shot right underneath.
Your skeet gun is likely adjusted for 50/50 pattern and that’s where it has to be for skeet. However if you are shooting trap with your 50/50 skeet gun you’ll almost always shoot under on straight away birds because it’s always rising and by the time you pull the trigger the bird is already out of your pattern spread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im hoping to shave some weight and also go to a 32/34” bbl. Still studying up to see what is optimal. I shoot a 60/40 in skeet so I’m good there. Somewhat hesitant to mess with my rib as I don’t want to mess up my skeet game.

· Registered
291 Posts

WHY?!! You just ran 25 straight! Shoot more, shoot more often!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.