Trapshooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm loading Ramshot Comp since Red Dot disappeared months ago. It's very good at pressures over 9K. Below that it tends to be dirty, especially with the primers of lower brisance. I've got some good 1oz loads above 1250fps in straight-wall hulls but trying to stay close to 1200 and things get a bit messy.

I have some 1oz AAHS loaded for 1200fps but haven't had a chance to pattern them. A lot of shooters here use it and it has a lot of data to work with, so in that respect it's better than having nothing! Good luck and welcome to the site.

· Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm loading Ramshot Comp since Red Dot disappeared months ago. It's very good at pressures over 9K. Below that it tends to be dirty, especially with the primers of lower brisance. I've got some good 1oz loads above 1250fps in straight-wall hulls but trying to stay close to 1200 and things get a bit messy.

I have some 1oz AAHS loaded for 1200fps but haven't had a chance to pattern them. A lot of shooters here use it and it has a lot of data to work with, so in that respect it's better than having nothing! Good luck and welcome to the site.
Thank you, I can buy two 1 lbs bottles of it so looks like I will. I normally use 700x in 1 1/8 load. I can do 1 Oz at 1200 that what I try for with the 700x 1200fps

· Premium Member
253 Posts
I only load 1 oz loads and ramshot is my powder of choice for 12 gauge. It burns incredibly clean .
Do you have any favorite load recipes you'd like to share? I'm still researching them - I have 2lbs of powder, cheddite primer on the way and a ton of Fiocchi hulls....

Edit: I should add I also have a bag of CB6100-12 Wads for 1oz loads.

· Premium Member
8,113 Posts
Yeah I did see that last night when I looked on line. Just don't remember here about people using that powder. Thanks
For some reason, it's not very popular. It's availability, in the past, has been spotty. Since it was taken over by Hodgdon, the supply seems to be better.

Same with Nitro 100. Lots of data but not as popular as powders made by Alliant and the Clays/Tights from Hodgdon.

These shortages have a habit of breaking old habits and causing people to try different powders because the stuff they're used to using is unavailable.

I have both Competition and Nitro 100 in my inventory. I have plans to use the Competition in some Federal Gold Medals, CB 6118 wads and 9/8 oz. of shot.

· Premium Member
253 Posts
For some reason, it's not very popular. It's availability, in the past, has been spotty. Since it was taken over by Hodgdon, the supply seems to be better.

Same with Nitro 100. Lots of data but not as popular as powders made by Alliant and the Clays/Tights from Hodgdon.

These shortages have a habit of breaking old habits and causing people to try different powders because the stuff they're used to using is unavailable.

I have both Competition and Nitro 100 in my inventory. I have plans to use the Competition in some Federal Gold Medals, CB 6118 wads and 9/8 oz. of shot.
Nebs
I saw that they list the 6118 in the load data for Nitro, but not Competition - at least in the guide I have (Version 8) - have you sourced an alternate recipe for this one?

Michael

· Premium Member
30,370 Posts
It is a low density powder so wad choice is kinda critical. It should work well in Federal/reifenhauser hulls.

· Premium Member
253 Posts
It is a low density powder so wad choice is kinda critical. It should work well in Federal/reifenhauser hulls.
I find it interesting there are a fair number of tapered hull wads in the load data for Fiocchi hulls....I know all the powder companies, but it seems like there are more here under the 1 1/8 loads (admittedly I am not a wad expert and I have to look them up as a cross reference)

· Registered
2,060 Posts
I use cb1100-12 wads in win and all Remington hulls. I use different powder charges for skeet,trap and clays. I weigh my powder and shot charges and my reloads are perfect in looks and performance. I strictly use CCI 209 primers in 12 gauge and win 209 for the lower gauges. Different color hulls for each game.

· Premium Member
253 Posts
I sent a note to both Hodgdon and CB asking for help with this very issue. No response from either, yet.
Thanks - I'll be curious to see what you hear back - I just went through all of the wads for the competition in all three loads listed - with the exception of the CB-4100-12B, which claims to work in both straight and tapered, every single other wad in their data for Fiocchi is a tapered one (there were a couple I couldn't find, and might be discontinued such as the DR-Versatile) - and some I just assumed were tapered as they were listed for Win/Rem hulls.

I sent a note to CB this weekend and they basically told me to ask the powder manufacturer.

Michael

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.