Trapshooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
"High power guns (Decatur, Stalker, most “police radar guns” and similar) may be used at the 16 yard line.
Low power guns (SportRadar, Bushnell, and similar) are to be used at the back of the traphouse and at the level of the top of the traphouse"
Above is from the rule book.

I belong to a couple of clubs that use the Bushnell from just behind the traphouse it works well.

Its All Good

West

·
Registered
199 Posts
We use a SportRadar from behind the clubhouse and it is accurate. We've compared it to the high power guns. A popular high power gun seems to be the Stalker Sport II. I would like to upgrade so I can set speed and height simultaneously.

·
Registered
877 Posts
We use a SportRadar from behind the clubhouse and it is accurate. We've compared it to the high power guns. A popular high power gun seems to be the Stalker Sport II. I would like to upgrade so I can set speed and height simultaneously.
How are you using the radar gun to set height?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
You don’t necessarily need a high powered gun but you *do* need one that reads to 1/10 mph. Many of the low power guns only read to the closest mph which in my opinion isn’t accurate enough. We use a Pro-speed.

·
Registered
11,024 Posts
higun,
Why not? Trapshooters like to shoot targets that look good. The complaint you
hear the most at a shoot is "those were terrible targets". HMB

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
We have used a Bushnell for a few years without any problems. Get readings from the back of the trap house roof and have compared its readings with a few different speed guns from other clubs and find our to be right on the button for our use.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Set them so they look good and reach the stake. Radar gun, what's that? HMB
How far is the stake? If you have 8 traps how do you ensure consistency from trap 1 through trap 8? How do you know the stakes from trap 1 through trap 8 are the same distance? How many clubs have a perfectly flat landing area across all fields?

I have confidence in my target setting abilities and I have no doubts I can make a single trap ‘look good’ and no one would complain. I can probably even do it across two adjacent traps but that gets dicey. No way can I get consistency across multiple traps without the proper tools.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't see how???
With a high power radar gun I can stand on post 3 at the 16 yard line and simultaneously gage the height of the target visually and read the speed of the target on the gun. Speed affects height and vice versa. Maybe someone else can 'splain it better.

·
Registered
877 Posts
HMB
Because, if they are set the way you like them they may be illegal (too fast or to slow, too high or too low). Setting them to the "they look good " standard is completely subjective and inconsistant. They may look good to you but terrible to me or others. Why bother to have a standard if we don't adhere to it?

cjmies
The same goes for setting the height "visually" The only way to be sure is to use a height pole 30' out from point B
Do you have Pat Traps? If you do and assuming that your shooting positions and the throwing plate of the machine are on the same plane then set your machine so that the throw plate angle is at 21 degrees. That will give you a 9' target at 30' out. 23 degrees will get you legal height doubles targets.
When you buy your new radar gun think about getting a digital protractor also.

·
Ljutic Nut
2,917 Posts
If you do and assuming that your shooting positions and the throwing plate of the machine are on the same plane then set your machine so that the throw plate angle is at 21 degrees. That will give you a 9' target at 30' out. 23 degrees will get you legal height doubles targets.
Must be the difference in the way are Pat Traps are set, or something with our trap houses but we use 20.5 degrees for single/handicap targets and 22.5 for doubles. Had a hard time at first convincing some of our local experts that it would work right every time we set them but they are all OK with it now.

BTW I have a Stalker Sport II radar gun and I have had zero problems with it.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Jim R,
I would say that you and I are on the right track about the machine angle. 1/2 degree would make about 6 to 8 inches difference at 30' (that's a swag based on experience) putting the targets well within the specified standard of 9 to 9-1/2 feet in the ATA rule book. We verified that our throw plate and shooting positions were on the same plane a year or two ago using a laser transit and the services of a licensed surveyor. By using the radar gun in conjunction with the angle meter one can set all their traps to the same objective, legal & rule compliant, standard.
Joe

·
Registered
199 Posts
HMB
...set your machine so that the throw plate angle is at 21 degrees. That will give you a 9' target at 30' out. 23 degrees will get you legal height doubles targets. When you buy your new radar gun think about getting a digital protractor also.
I did buy a protractor this year, I think because of your suggestion in another post. We also purchased four new Pat-Traps so we finally have the consistency to do what you suggest. When I initially set the new machines I documented the angles and corresponding notch on each. That should help the lay people set targets when I am not around. The only problem is that in Kansas you have very few days that the wind is not a significant factor.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I did buy a protractor this year, I think because of your suggestion in another post. We also purchased four new Pat-Traps so we finally have the consistency to do what you suggest. When I initially set the new machines I documented the angles and corresponding notch on each. That should help the lay people set targets when I am not around. The only problem is that in Kansas you have very few days that the wind is not a significant factor.
Oh boy. Now "the wind" opens up a whole new can of worms. I have always made the argument that if you can document that your targets are set properly for the "still air" requirement then they shouldn't be changed when the wind comes up. If you make adjustments for the windy conditions then you machines are no longer in compliance for "still" air conditions. When the wind blows it blows for everybody. My argument is that my machines are set according to the rules. Those rules being "still air". So OK too bad so sad - ours is an outdoor sport. If shooters want perfect conditions perhaps their time would be better spent shooting pool - not clay targets. The wind blows for everyone. When it rains everybody gets wet.
We get a gust of wind from time to time here on the coast of Maine also - drives you nuts. Doesn't it?

"Singles targets shall be thrown not less than 49 yards nor more than 51

yards. Distance measurements are on level ground in still air. Targets

shall be between 8 feet and 10 feet high, when 10 yards from Point B."

·
Banned
218 Posts
We use a Bushnell for our Skeet targets. Amazingly consistant target to target.

·
Super Moderator
3,207 Posts
I bought one of these for checking the angle. Works great! Amazon.com: AccuRemote Digital Electronic Magnetic Angle Gage Level / Protractor / Bevel Gauge: Office Products
Actually, I bought 2 of them. The 1st one was on the throw plate when the machine was cycled. I don't know how far it flew, or where it landed, but I never saw it again.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts